PDA

View Full Version : Help needed for Step II in IIH

baby001
21st March 2011, 04:12 PM
Hi guys,

I am thinking about starting step II and I have a question about the visualization exercise in the Magical Schooling of the Spirit section.

When I visualize, do I have to visualize the selected object to the point that I see the object from my mind eye? I am not sure that is doable or not. I know that when I meditate and get into trance, I see some patterns, human faces, animals, sometimes what I see is so real. When doing the visualization exercise, I am supposed to see the object that real?

I have another general question about mediation. When I meditate and watch my thoughts for a few minutes, I get into trance, sometimes, I continue watch my thoughts, sometimes I decided to deepen the trance so that I can induce an OBE. But most of the time, when I noticed that I am in trance, I start worrying about losing the trance state and once I have a split second of worry, I get out of trance. I found that I have similar problem when I play tennis, when I have a bad stroke and start worrying a bit, I consciously notice that I am worried and have to push the worry away really hard in order to get rid of it. Do you guys have similar problem or it is not a problem for you at all? If yes, how do (did) you guys handle that?

Thank you very much!

Baby

CFTraveler
21st March 2011, 05:23 PM
Hi guys,

I am thinking about starting step II and I have a question about the visualization exercise in the Magical Schooling of the Spirit section.

When I visualize, do I have to visualize the selected object to the point that I see the object from my mind eye? I am not sure that is doable or not. I know that when I meditate and get into trance, I see some patterns, human faces, animals, sometimes what I see is so real. When doing the visualization exercise, I am supposed to see the object that real? I'm too lazy to get my copy (not such a good magician, Bardon would not approve, lol), I'm going to assume you're talking about the memory exercise, when you look at the object for x amount of time, and then close your eyes and 'see' it. If it's that one, I do try to 'see' it as if I were looking at it. Which is very difficult for me, btw. I can recreate sensations much easier than visuals.

I have another general question about mediation. When I meditate and watch my thoughts for a few minutes, I get into trance, sometimes, I continue watch my thoughts, sometimes I decided to deepen the trance so that I can induce an OBE. But most of the time, when I noticed that I am in trance, I start worrying about losing the trance state and once I have a split second of worry, I get out of trance. I found that I have similar problem when I play tennis, when I have a bad stroke and start worrying a bit, I consciously notice that I am worried and have to push the worry away really hard in order to get rid of it. Do you guys have similar problem or it is not a problem for you at all? If yes, how do (did) you guys handle that?

Thank you very much! Yes, self-consciousness does mess with my mojo. In meditation, if it happens I take the opportunity to 'witness myself' (Tolle style) and then go back to where I was. In other things, I just try to go back to where I was too, but it's harder than the trance work.

baby001
21st March 2011, 05:30 PM
Thanks for your reply CFTraveler! You said you do try to see it, so it is like you are see through your eyelids? If that is the case, then it is like Clairvoyance, isn't it? I know Step II is not about Clairvoyance, so I am still confused. But thank you so much for replying!

BTW, what style is Tolle style when you say you try to witness yourself?

Thanks!

CFTraveler
21st March 2011, 10:42 PM
Thanks for your reply CFTraveler! You said you do try to see it, so it is like you are see through your eyelids? No, as if I were watching TV, in my mind's eye. But this is for developing clairvoyance, at least it's how I do this. And developing my visual memory.

If that is the case, then it is like Clairvoyance, isn't it? I know Step II is not about Clairvoyance, so I am still confused. But thank you so much for replying! I think I may have to go and look at my book to see if I'm describing the exercise right.

BTW, what style is Tolle style when you say you try to witness yourself?

Thanks! It's a way of looking at the world and myself. I found a quote that pretty much sums it up:
"Be present as the watcher of your mind -- of your thoughts and emotions as well as your reactions in various situations. Be at least as interested in your reactions as in the situation or person that causes you to react. Notice also how often your attention is in the past or future. Don't judge or analyze what you observe. Watch the thought, feel the emotion, observe the reaction. Don't make a personal problem out of them. You will then feel something more powerful than any of those things that you observe: the still, observing presence itself behind the content of your mind, the silent watcher."

http://peacefulrivers.homestead.com/EckhartTolle.html

In other words, let's say I'm having a tough time with something or someone. My thoughts, emotions, self, are invested in the situation. All of a sudden, I realize how I'm invested in it, I stop my thought processes and think "I am now having a situation with A or B". "I am very upset at this." "I feel that my stomach hurts because of how upset I am. I have butterflies in my heart area". "My hands are shaking because of how upset I am".
Now, I'm not thinking about 'the problem', and I am not judging myself for my reactions. I am simply observing myself as I have these reactions, and accepting myself as I have them.
For me at least, this has been a powerful method, teaching myself to take a step back when something happens.

baby001
22nd March 2011, 12:40 AM
Good point! So I guess next time when I start worrying about getting out of trance, I can just say to myself "worrying, worrying...", until the worries go away. Thank you!

ButterflyWoman
22nd March 2011, 06:17 AM
Actually, rather than pointing out the "worrying" (which may draw MORE focus and attention to it) you might want to try a more neutral or positive phrase. Maybe "okay" or "relax" or "it's cool" or something along those lines (those are all self-created relaxation triggers of my own; you can come up with any phrase you like, of course).

I find that if I tell myself that I'm worrying or I'm panicking or I'm hyperventilating, the subconscious response is generally, "Yeah, I AM!" and it makes it worse. Having a more neutral or counter suggestion is much more effective, so long as it's not blatantly ridiculous (i.e., telling myself something that I know can't possibly be correct, which causes the same kind of inner rebellion).