PDA

View Full Version : I need help understanding Kundalini

mayve
11th April 2011, 04:48 PM
Hi everyone,

I just joined because I have recently started going out with a guy who has undergone a Kundalini awakening. He's really important to me and I would like to be able understand it better. First I guess I should say that I am not a very spiritual person and so I am not very knowledgeable in this area. I find peoples stories of their experiences really fascinating and I don't for one second doubt the possibility of anything but for me personally I just don't feel it.

But that is not why I am here. I am here because I would like to gain a better insight into this whole process and experience. It seems to be such a life changing event and I know my boyfriend would describe it as 'a gift' but at the same time it seems to me that there is a price to pay for something so unique. So basically I am here to ask that when you shared your experience of the awakening with friends and family what was it that they did that you found useful/supportive? Also you have had maybe a bad experience perhaps you could advise me about what to avoid doing?

Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated!!

CFTraveler
11th April 2011, 05:10 PM
Hi mayve.
I recommend you read this article: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2602 (http://forums.astraldynamics.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2602) -it is very informative.

ButterflyWoman
11th April 2011, 05:45 PM
I've written a great deal on this topic on these boards. If you search for my username and specify the Kundalini forum, you'll find it. But here are a couple that might be interesting (or not ;)):

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23465 (http://forums.astraldynamics.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23465)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18160 (http://forums.astraldynamics.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18160)

I also have a page on the topic on one of my websites: http://notmyself.org/2011/03/the-seed-of-awakening/

Of course, that's a very personal account, not a general treatise on the subject.

I will state, here and now, that deliberately and arbitrarily awakening Kundalini is not a wise course. If it is to awaken, it will do so, with little or no direct provocation. Kundalini is a transformation process, and I mean complete transformation, including your sense of identity, your worldview, your life circumstances, your very reality. This is full on metamorphosis, as in, "death to the caterpillar" type stuff. It's not something to take lightly or without preparation.

Something I wrote in another Kundalini thread: I'll share a quote I came across, and with which I agree, based on direct experience and many years of observing statements made by people in the throes of probably Kundalini awakening: "Spontaneous kundalini awakenings, or premature awakenings done by imprudent use of mantras or breathing techniques can be extremely damaging to mental and physical health."

I don't want to discourage or frighten, but advising caution and preparation is the only prudent thing to do. I had a particularly difficult time of it, mostly because I was poorly prepared and entirely clueless. Certainly not everyone does have such a bad time of it, but preparation and foreknowledge will go a long, long way into making the process both easier and shorter.

alphadracooverlord
11th April 2011, 08:45 PM
My mother: Oh so that's what's been going on.
Christian acquaintances: The satanic snake is in you. Yoga is the snake energy of satan.
Interested friends: Sounds amazing!
Uninformed friends: I don't understand this.
A friend in connection with the "light": Kundalini is not a light energy. Kundalini is a dark energy ruining peoples lives.
Psychiatrist: Your kundalini and third eye is probably signs of your mental illness. Let me raise your dosage. (I was not psychotic then).

The thing you should watch out for is psychosis. A psychotic episode can be dangerous for the experiencer and the people around him or her. And usually the state provided treatment is tough. I would try to avoid it unless It's extremely urgent. It's very easy to get stuck in the system. I feel as sometimes a heavy experience is needed to change the way you think but sometimes these experiences can be dangerous. The kundalini seems to integrate with the nervous system and that can be quite changing for the person.

I would not deliberately activate it as well. I would let some higher power do it.

Mine has gotten into overdrive (fire/cold/heat/bubbles/electricity/nerve reactions) however but I'm rather stable now. It just gets stronger and stronger. I've been through hell however.

This I have passed 90%:

http://www.youtube.com/user/bipolarorwa ... enfoPa3sCo (http://www.youtube.com/user/bipolarorwakingup#p/u/2/5enfoPa3sCo)

I think my last psychosis was a rather nice experience but it was not so nice for other people...

Tutor
11th April 2011, 11:21 PM
y'all touch me in this thread. what a savage journey, aye?

i like this video down below because of the caption, the faint face of whom was>is>will be, and the sheer innocence of a kitten swept up in it.

sir elton john: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd4LGETO3CA

"Saved in time, thank God my musics still alive" :wink:

Serpentarius
11th April 2011, 11:40 PM
Christian acquaintances: The satanic snake is in you. Yoga is the snake energy of satan.

Woohoo! I've awakened kundalini and now the Devil is my wingman :lol:
Be naughty! Be naughty! :D

psionickx
12th April 2011, 09:27 PM
I just joined because I have recently started going out with a guy who has undergone a Kundalini awakening

Genevieve Lewis Paulson in her book "Kundalini and The Chakras" on the subject of relationships/marriage/co-habitation :

"The strain of kundalini experience will often speed the dissolution of a marriage or a relationship that is not healthy or meant to be"

"Affairs that begin during accelerated growth don't often last.They may be very intense, but as the song goes ,"I'ts too hot not too cool down"

I think the song is "just one of those things" by Cole Porter.

but for me personally I just don't feel it.

Likewise in the same vein ...I could make the effort of writing you a response more prolix....but i just don't feel it.

mayve
13th April 2011, 11:40 AM
Thank you everyone for all your advice. Although perhaps I should clarify one point, I'm not looking to awaken a Kundalini experience within myself. I just want to be able to support and to understand a little of what he has and is dealing with. As far as the psychosis aspect goes, he did see a team of psychiatrists at the insistence of his family and they pretty much shrugged their shoulders and said whatever it was it was not their area.
So thank you again for all your help and advice and I am looking forward to following all your links a suggestions and hopefully I will be able to gain a better insight!

ButterflyWoman
13th April 2011, 11:58 AM
As far as the psychosis aspect goes, he did see a team of psychiatrists at the insistence of his family and they pretty much shrugged their shoulders and said whatever it was it was not their area.
Wow, good outcome! A lot of times, psychiatrists feel the need to make "a diagnosis" and provide "treatment", whether or not it's actually warranted.

Sorry I misunderstood quite what you were asking, but I hope you find the information helpful, anyway. :)

mayve
14th April 2011, 12:06 PM
Haha, I re-read my original post and thought "ok I see where i went wrong, way to not explain myself properly!" I was trying to explain that I have no experience whatsoever in spiritual matters and that I am perfectly comfortable in this while respecting and not undermining other peoples beliefs/experiences and I managed to convey that I was looking for a profound spiritual awakening!! I'm sure Freud would have a lot to say about that!

I just really want to provide some support to my boyfriend because he is an incredibly good person and he has been dealing with all of this to a large extent on his own. Obviously having your entire family insisting on psychiatric assessment leaves a person with some trust issues when it comes to talking about it so I just want to be informed. So everything you have given me so far is a help and definitely those doctors deserve a lot of credit for not throwing medication in lieu of answers at someone.

ButterflyWoman
14th April 2011, 02:06 PM
Okay. Here's what I'd do in your position.

Listen if he wants to talk. And, most of all, BELIEVE him. You don't have to take it as some sort of "literal truth", but it's his truth, and it's his reality, and if he tells you about weird sensations or perceptions that seem really strange to you, just accept that to him, it's completely valid. If you don't fully understand, you can say that, of course, I mean, you don't have to pretend you totally get it (my husband, who has been with me for some sixteen years or something like that - seems like always - understands most of what I tell him, but he only groks about a third of it, and I'm okay with that).

You might also encourage him to keep a journal. An online one would make it so that nobody could "find" it and use it against him, and on most journal sites, you can make it private. I keep a private journal on my computer (private as in "not public"; I don't care if someone eventually finds and reads it), and I have a private journal on Blogger, but LiveJournal works, as do other sites (not sure about Wordpress.com, though a privately hosted Wordpress blog can make private entries). Writing it down can be helpful in sorting it all out.

Here's a true story from my own journey. After an extremely difficult period of tremendous instability (and yes, I got the "she's crazy" thing, too), things started to cool down and my life circumstances started to turn around somewhat. At that time, I had two primary support people, one the man who is now my husband, the other my flatmate, who was a particularly spiritual person (but unfortunately, very young and extremely inexperienced).

I saw, quite to my surprise, that this thing I thought of as "I" didn't really exist. My "identity" was nothing more than a collection of ideas, thoughts, memories, skills, abilities, talents, habits, and so forth. I saw this as clearly as I've ever seen or understood anything in my life, and I was so astonished that I shared it with the now-husband and flatmate. Both of them immediately tried to talk me out of it. And they kept trying to talk me out of it, until I finally just stopped talking about it, but, of course, once you've seen that, it can't be unseen, so I just kept it to myself.

Years later, I learned that this experience of seeing that your material identity is actually transient, transparent, false, illusionary, whatever, is one of the most sought after of peak experiences. Who knew? Not me... and not my support people, either, obviously (the husband NOW gets it and understands it, but it's very much an experiential thing, so I know he doesn't grok it).

Point being, I had a legitimate and well-documented peak spiritual experience and everyone just tried to tell me not to talk like that, because they took it as a bad thing.

So that's why I say just believe him when he tells you stuff. You may not understand, but to him, it's completely real and maybe even downright tangible.

I hope that makes some sense. I haven't really looked at it from this perspective before. Thank you for giving me that opportunity. And thank you for being willing to learn. Not only will your partner benefit, so will you. :)