PDA

View Full Version : OBE... or just a dream?

AlaskaBoy
25th April 2011, 06:48 PM
A short nap was much needed after school today, so I set my timer for thirty minutes and completed the nap. I still felt sleepy, so I dosed back off. A text message woke me up, which I responded to, and I then continued sleeping.

I began to dream and it wasn't long before the dream had guided me to the room I was sleeping in. I began to feel very disoriented and since there was a person in the room with me, I thought it was time for them to leave and guided the them out the door.

I thought I woke up, because it felt like my awareness changed as my eyes opened and I was lying down in the place I was napping. When I began to move however, I realized my body wasn't responding. I was a bit confused, I was hearing sounds and when I tried to stretch my arm far I almost blacked out. I became aware that I was in a position where I could control an obe, so I began slowing down my movement. I began turning more to my side, little by little, and decided I wanted to face down at myself and float up. I felt release from my body the more I turned, but everything I saw started to become more blurred the more I left. As I drifted away, I couldn't get a solid vision on anything, it was like an abstract painting almost.

I felt it was time to be done, and remember reading that moving a body part can help bring you back. I felt myself move my right index finger which was followed by a brief but obvious disorientation and I immediately jolted awake from my nap. I remember feeling right away the OBE experience different than my dream, because it seemed more vivid, and my conscious mind was present.

I would like to believe it was genuine, but I am inexperienced. Do you think there is any truth to this obe?

Thank you!

Korpo
25th April 2011, 07:50 PM
Hello, AlaskaBoy.

Sure sounds like a spontaneous OBE.

Cheers,
Oliver

natalie-1984
25th April 2011, 08:08 PM
That sounds like an OBE alright! Ecspecially when you describe your disoriented vision. Sometimes it will be blurry, sometimes really grainy, sometimes a wierd dark tunnel vision, and sometimes it will even look like cobwebs are everywhere. Someone explained to me that this is because you ARENT seeing through your eyes anymore, you are sensing your surroundings. Or something like that!

It will get easier each time you do it. I like the rolling out of bed method myself! I tried the rope method once and it flung me half way across the room! I guess maybe I used too much mental strength!

What part of Alaska are you from? I lived in Fairbanks for the first 15 years of my life.

nat

Alienor
25th April 2011, 08:43 PM
Sounds like a typical false awakening - one thinks one did wake up, but actually it is still a dream. Usually when one really wakes up, one realizes details, that point out it was a dream. When you dream, obviously you are not using your physical senses either, so it is very alike a OBE.
I think it is a very good way to practice OBEs, as the dream environment is save and your can practice all the things like flying, creating things, etc.

As you have been reading about OBEs, it is to be expected, that you will dream about having OBEs. Entering a lucid dream can come with the same kind of vibrations, etc.

Anyway, I consider a lucid dream a kind of OBE. Congratulations, this is the start!

AlaskaBoy
26th April 2011, 04:08 AM
Sure sounds like a spontaneous OBE.
Thanks for your opinion Oliver!

sometimes really grainy...
Nat - grainy is a perfect word to describe it. I'm sure after a few years of good practice, it will become much more clear. The rope method is a little too cowboy for me as well, I need some finesse. =D I grew up in Healy, but Fairbanks is my second home and my father still lives there. I'm in sunny Florida now, lol.

Sounds like a typical false awakening
I thought about this after my post and did some research on false awakenings. It's totally possible it was a lucid dream, but it was different to me than other dreams. I have never remembered having a lucid dream before, so I guess I can't compare. Some interesting things though:

- It felt more real than a dream. Feelings of disorientation between transitions were very strong.
- I consciously woke myself up from within my 'experience'. Awesome!
- When I awoke in real life, I was in the same position as my 'false' awakening.

NightWalker
27th April 2011, 11:02 AM
For what my opinion's worth, (learner) I think when you know yourself it 'wasn't a normal dream'...it wasn't. The two OBE's I had I couldn't see properly either. Everything was darker and blurry, and 'tunnel vision' seems appropriate also. Some of the things you wrote reminded me of sleep paralysis also. I wonder who you showed out...... :D

AlaskaBoy
28th April 2011, 04:29 AM
I think I agree NightWalker. After much research, I have concluded it was in fact a spontaneous OBE. I just need to figure out how to get back there more often, lol.

I wonder who you showed out...... :D
What did you mean by this?

CFTraveler
28th April 2011, 02:33 PM
Just a comment- graininess is a normal thing for an RTZ OBE (as opposed to an OBE to the astral) because of the way the etheric body collects information from it's surroundings (like radar)- so this is a clue you were in the RTZ.

AlaskaBoy
28th April 2011, 04:40 PM
graininess is a normal thing for an RTZ OBE
I have seen this term "RTZ" before, but after an hour of Google searching I cannot find out exactly what it is. What does it stand for and how is it different than the world of AP?

CFTraveler
28th April 2011, 05:38 PM
The AD-Pedia (in my sig) is your friend.
Anyway, RTZ (Real Time Zone, aka etheric plane, locale 1, Focus 1).

AlaskaBoy
28th April 2011, 06:21 PM
Thanks CFTraveler, is there any other place I could find info on RTZ? Ad-Pedia is my friend, but broken links are my enemy. =D The links on RTZ just bring me to the home page of astraldynamics. Thanks!

natalie-1984
28th April 2011, 06:32 PM
The real time zone is your next closest dimension/buffer zone from this physical reality (also my favorite). It is a mix of things in this reality and also some things in the astral, and it reacts to your thought. It is possible to see things taking place in the RTZ that are happening in our reality as well. Sometimes I will see things that aren't exactly how they are in the physical. For example, one time I saw my stroller in the living room when I knew it wasn' really there in the physical, and one time my computer desk was quite a bit more organized than it was in the physical. Not sure why there are these anomolies, but it really doesn't bother me. It's fun to find them! Oh and if someone has clairvoyance they would be able to see you as a ghost! :shock:

I didn't know the graininess was a signiture of RTZ, I must be in RTZ alot! I need to remember to hang out in my bedroom and investigate it next time.
I can also FEEL things in the RTZ as well. Sometimes I don't even realize I'm out until I do a little test, or I feel for my physical body using the mindsplit effect. When I can jump out the window on my staircase that's a good indication that I'm out! Actually one time I was so scared of jumping out or trying to break through the window cause I really did believe I wasn't out yet! When it's night time and I'm tired everything looks grainy anyways!

CFTraveler
28th April 2011, 07:30 PM
Thanks CFTraveler, is there any other place I could find info on RTZ? Ad-Pedia is my friend, but broken links are my enemy. =D The links on RTZ just bring me to the home page of astraldynamics. Thanks!

The link I went to worked for me. But I'll quote from the website:
http://www.astraldynamics.com/home/astr ... art-2.html (http://www.astraldynamics.com/home/astral-projection-training/treatise-on-astral-projection/62-part-2.html)

"Starting Out

After the physical body has fallen asleep, the astral body always projects into the physical world. Once the energy body has expanded, the astral body floats free and hovers just above the physical body, but within the expanded energy body's field of influence. Within this field, known as cord activity range, the astral body is held close to the physical world as it is within a field of etheric matter.

During a conscious astral projection it may appear as if you are projecting straight into an astral plane. But there is always an intermediary phase at the beginning, when you are existing as an astral form close to the physical dimension. This, real time part of any projection, may be missed if you black out at the moment of projection. The area around the body, within cord activity range, is flooded with etheric matter and within this field the astral body is held in real time close to the physical dimension."

There is more on this (http://www.astraldynamics.com/home/astral-projection-training/treatise-on-astral-projection/62-part-2.html) page.

AlaskaBoy
28th April 2011, 07:39 PM
Nat and CF - Thanks so much for the information and new link. "Out of the Body" by D. Scott Rogo is the only book I have read on OBE and there is no talk of this at all. The fact I experienced something I previously had no knowledge of is motivating.

CFTraveler
28th April 2011, 07:44 PM
Then the treatise I linked you to should give you a good idea of the jargon we use here, and the stickied threads in the OBE research and discussions subforum should clear any confusion (or confuse you more, lol).
Cheers.