PDA

View Full Version : Faceplate Screw and Grounding

Enochian
21st May 2011, 10:38 PM
I used a conductivity tester and determined that computer wrist static straps don't work.

But I realized that the faceplate screw on electrical outlets is actually designed as a ground. I confirmed this with a multimeter. So you can run a piece of wire from the faceplate screw to wherever you want.

CFTraveler
21st May 2011, 11:16 PM
Just make sure that it is indeed ground (that is, installed properly). A static wristband is good only if it's attached to proper ground.

Enochian
22nd May 2011, 05:43 AM
But if the wristband is not conductive, it does not matter if it is attached to a proper ground.

CFTraveler
22nd May 2011, 12:30 PM
I worked in electronics for around twenty years, and all the static bands I used conducted properly. Perhaps there is a problem with the one you're using?

Enochian
23rd May 2011, 04:21 PM
You can make an easy, cheap and safe ground by taking copper wire from the faceplate screw to your foot, like when you sleep.

CFTraveler
23rd May 2011, 05:54 PM
Flexible copper wire?

Enochian
23rd May 2011, 08:06 PM
Whatever conducts electricity and is comfortable.

Just screw it into the faceplate screw, which is designed to be a ground.

Korpo
23rd May 2011, 08:26 PM
Not every house is properly wired. In fact a friend and electrician told me always to check for safety first, never trust the basic wiring concept one takes for given or which is considered standard.

Cheap wrist straps might have conductivity problems: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antistatic_wrist_strap. Yours might be broken.

CFTraveler
24th May 2011, 02:33 PM
I worked in the cable industry, for ten years I worked on receiving/decoding devices (like those HBO converters) and for another ten years I worked on line equipment (mostly amplifiers and power supplies), and briefly on some headend equipment.