PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone shed some light?

buzzqueen
23rd May 2011, 09:34 PM
Hi, Im new to this. so here goes.

I was in the bathroom and got a very sudden and loud and short buzz in my right ear, there were no flies etc about. i have also heard loud what i can only describe as knocking on wood right in front of my face receantly.
I also have noticed that over the last few years when sitting cross legged on my bed, wether im reading or whatever my body rocks forward and back slightly, i make an effort to stop it but it just makes me more aware of it a slightly anxious.
Can anyone help wether its something im imagining or something else, i'd like to know.

Thanks

CFTraveler
23rd May 2011, 10:21 PM
Hi, Im new to this. so here goes. Hi and welcome to the forums.

I was in the bathroom and got a very sudden and loud and short buzz in my right ear, there were no flies etc about. Did you feel any pressure on the side where it happened? Sometimes a change in atmospheric pressure will make your eardrums buzz, and usually happens in one side first, then either both or it stops. Then you may hear a pop when it equalizes again. This would be physical, if it's what I think, nothing 'weird' or 'in your head' either.

i have also heard loud what i can only describe as knocking on wood right in front of my face receantly. Does this happen while you're going to sleep, or does it happen when up and about?

I also have noticed that over the last few years when sitting cross legged on my bed, wether im reading or whatever my body rocks forward and back slightly, i make an effort to stop it but it just makes me more aware of it a slightly anxious. This is normal, happens to everyone, it's just that not everybody notices. When you're sitting on a crosslegged position your body is making tiny adjustments and if you're reading or your eyes are closed, the balance mechanism goes a little awry- because the brain needs both the information from the ear canal and the visual signal (looking at a horizon) to keep the balance- but if you're reading you're not looking at the horizon, and the crosslegged position is one in which you become more aware of those tiny adjustments that happen.
So it's perfectly normal, usually goes unnoticed.

Thanks

ButterflyWoman
24th May 2011, 07:43 AM
I'd had that buzzing. I don't know what causes it. To me, it's almost like a big flying insect has flown VERY close to my ear.

I've always assumed it's fairies playing games with me. Sometimes I can almost hear their tinkly laughter when I look around for what on earth it could have been. (Fairies are like that. ;))

I have also thought it might have something to do with blood pressure, actually, but I'm not sure what the physical mechanics of that might be.

psionickx
24th May 2011, 10:54 AM
Exploding head syndrome is a parasomnia condition that causes the sufferer occasionally to experience a tremendously loud noise as originating from within his or her own head, usually described as the sound of an explosion, roar, gunshot, loud voices or screams, a ringing noise, or the sound of electrical arcing (buzzing).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_head_syndrome

http://clicksmilies.com/s1106/sauer/angry-smiley-010.gif

ButterflyWoman
24th May 2011, 12:36 PM
That's interesting (have noted for future reference), but it doesn't describe what I experience. The buzzing, in my case, is when I'm awake, and it definitely appears to come from outside, plus it's only in one ear (usually the left, but I've had both ears buzzed).

Can't speak for the OP, of course.

CFTraveler
24th May 2011, 02:25 PM
Exploding head syndrome is a parasomnia condition that causes the sufferer occasionally to experience a tremendously loud noise as originating from within his or her own head, usually described as the sound of an explosion, roar, gunshot, loud voices or screams, a ringing noise, or the sound of electrical arcing (buzzing).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_head_syndrome

http://clicksmilies.com/s1106/sauer/angry-smiley-010.gif

That's just what ancient theorists call a third eye strobe or "things that go bump in your head", and happens when you're in deep trance. It's considered pathological by medical science because most people that get it are just so tired they're going into trance faster than they can fall asleep, but anyone can experience this by trying to stay awake as they fall asleep, which is the basis of all OBE practices.

I have something similar (or a physical version of it) and have from childhood (prob. was born with it) to where any low-frequency buzz, if heard at just the right angle will send my eardrum thumping, sounds a bit (for those old enough to know this sound) like an old fashioned typewriter when you type fast. I can also make the insides hum voluntarily (I imagine I'm vibrating something in the middle ear, lol). My grandmother told me she could do the same, and had the same condition.
Here in Florida, where everybody has wells, I can tell when the neighbor's water pump goes off because my ears start thumping as soon as I'm within earshot of it. It's very annoying.

psionickx
24th May 2011, 04:57 PM
Part of the same wikki article :

Related phenomena These loud noises are a common feature of out-of-body experiences. In surveys, as many as 85% of respondents indicate perception of them during the onset of such experiences.[4][5]

I think its so heartening to find these odd few few hints pointing at to a more generalized "mass-awakening/awareness" so to speak.

GRANT
9th August 2011, 02:09 AM
A buzz or tone can be a Deva. Their names are the tone. (Each individual Deva is known by their tone) This comes from Kauai Hindu Monastery. Loud noises, such as gunshots, may be indications of an OBE in progress. However, there are faeries also.
Grant

del Dardano Turann
30th August 2011, 02:34 AM
The Spiritualists answer to this would be that (the 'rocking' aside which has been correctly explained) these might be symptoms of latent mediumistic abilities.

Faeries: in folklore they often make themselves known by the feeling of a cobbweb across the face in a place where there would not be any webs. This doesn't really argue for or against anything, I just felt like throwing it out there!

Kami: I think Kami (or Devas) manifest more in sublime moments of profundity when we can be briefly in tune with them. The presence of a Kami would be clearly demarkated.

The universe of possibilities here is as wide as Devas and atmosphereic pressure. In that case, the best thing is probably to keep a list of when this phenomenon occurres and look for any common threads to try and narrow it down. Just stay focused and calm and observe. Also, remember Ockham's Razor!