PDA

View Full Version : Please report any/all forum weirdness so we can fix it!

ButterflyWoman
10th June 2011, 02:46 PM
This cool new forum is still undergoing tweaks and fixes. Please report anything that seems weird, off, not quite right, etc and we'll look into it. This includes display issues, stuff that doesn't work the way you expect, and anything else that seems like it should be reported. Don't worry if if turns out to be a feature! We don't mind questions, and we're happy to help when and where we can. Thanks.

newfreedom
10th June 2011, 06:17 PM
Hi CW,

I got here this morning and my password would not be 'accepted' so i did what CFT recommended (see below - i copied and pasted it from the old forum (hope that's ok ?)) and this worked...

..In theory your membership has already been activated, but your password may not work. If this happens, please use the "change password" button and get the new password in the email, and then change it back to whatever it was for you.
I had to do it- I already existed there, but my password wasn't recognized, so I redid it.

This earlier problem that i had may have now already been fixed .... ?

Just wanted to let you know, just incase others were still having this problem too..

newfreedom
10th June 2011, 06:22 PM
Hmmmm.... that was strange on submitting the above reply, i found i was then logged out and had to 'log back in' .....luckily my reply was not lost, i will post this now to see if i become logged out again, if i do get logged out again i'll write another reply saying so..

ButterflyWoman
11th June 2011, 08:15 AM
Thanks for letting us know. Anything else weird you experience, just sing out. We'll stomp all the bugs as soon as we can. ;)

newfreedom
12th June 2011, 12:02 PM
Hi

When i first arrived on the site yesterday the EDIT POST option was / seemed to be available on all of my posts, i know this as i altered some of them.

But today, i've noticed that my older posts do not have this option available on them, only on today's recent posts do i have the option to 'edit'

is there a timer set for 'editing options' maybe?

Will we be getting this option back again ?

Thanks

ButterflyWoman
12th June 2011, 02:42 PM
There is currently a timer set on editing posts. Right now, it's set to 12 hours. It could be changed to a longer period of time, but I think we want to have it time out after a reasonable time. When people come into an ongoing discussion thread and do heavy editing (not that you were doing anything like that, I'm sure), it can disrupt the conversation. So we'll probably be keeping a timeout in place, but it doesn't have to remain at 12 hours.

I'll talk to the other mods and see what they think, and member input is also welcome, of course.

There may be other options, too. We're still learning the back end and capabilities of the board, so we'll have to get back to you.

Thanks for the post, your concern is noted and appreciated.

Sinera
12th June 2011, 06:32 PM
Hi,

drafting possibility should be activated. I think this is possible. I searched sth on the net. It seems to me that Admins could configure this.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=142153

What really looks terrible is that some of the tiny font sizes (e.g. in s.o.'s signatures or if you really formatted it this way in the text) were now imported with absolute mega-size instead.
But hey, at least the smileys are cool. :thumbsup::wacky1::toast:
Cheers
Volgerle

ButterflyWoman
13th June 2011, 05:35 AM
drafting possibility should be activated. I think this is possible. I searched sth on the net. It seems to me that Admins could configure this.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=142153
Looks like a useful feature, and I'll pass it on to Robert (when he's back; he's away travelling now). This is an actual modification and not standard to the board, and nobody but Robert and his web guy have the ability to install mods. None of the moderators or administrators other than Robert have the ability to modify the board or install plugins or the like.

What really looks terrible is that some of the tiny font sizes (e.g. in s.o.'s signatures or if you really formatted it this way in the text) were now imported with absolute mega-size instead.
Yes, but there's no way to fix that on a global level. When I see fonts like that, I manually edit them, but other than forcibly deleting everyone's signatures, I can't see any way to fix it. I've manually fixed about five or six of those weird formatting sigs so far, though.

But hey, at least the smileys are cool.
Most of them I actually had on my hard drive, believe it or not. :shock:

Mishell
13th June 2011, 11:51 AM
This isn't technically a bug..., but it would be great to have a link back to the main page of the forum at the bottom of the thread page. When the posts are long scrolling back up to the top is a pain in the you-know-what.

Mishell
13th June 2011, 12:40 PM
Nevermind. I found it. It's all the way at the bottom of the page...

newfreedom
13th June 2011, 01:42 PM
Nevermind. I found it. It's all the way at the bottom of the page...

Yep me too now, thanks for pointing it out, never noticed it before, was there one on the old forum, cos if there was i don't think i used that one either !! :-)

Sinera
13th June 2011, 02:14 PM
When I see fonts like that, I manually edit them, but other than forcibly deleting everyone's signatures, I can't see any way to fix it. I've manually fixed about five or six of those weird formatting sigs so far, though.
I could swear it was there days ago, but I cannot find the "Edit Post" button anymore. I tried to edit out a few of the megasizefonts in my Lucidiary, but now it seems I can't, for the time being.

Sinera
13th June 2011, 02:16 PM
I could swear it was there days ago, but I cannot find the "Edit Post" button anymore. I tried to edit out a few of the megasizefonts in my Lucidiary, but now it seems I can't, for the time being.
now I see it's possible in this thread, but still not in mine and many others as it seems

newfreedom
13th June 2011, 02:29 PM
now I see it's possible in this thread, but still not in mine and many others as it seems

Hi Volgerle, i think i've already asked about this, check the earlier comments of this thread.... ?

ButterflyWoman
13th June 2011, 02:35 PM
At the moment, the forum is set to make it so posts can't be edited after twelve hours have elapsed. It's possible to set the time to longer (24 hours is common and popular on a lot of forums). The mods need to discuss it a bit more to see what we think would work well.

Historically, while the vast majority of participants are completely reasonable in the editing of old posts, we have had some who would come along and delete all their content, leaving a thread pretty much nonsense and impossible to follow, so we are inclined to have SOME limitation. If 12 hours is too short, we can make it longer, though.

psionickx
13th June 2011, 03:09 PM
when i use the "reply to thread" button there is no

"qouting" option.( i mean to quote several people in one post , not just one by "reply using quote" button)
"Highlighting or italicizing option.Isn't available so is color and all that.
"Icons" appear on the sujbect header and not the posts interior content itself.
I see other people using emoticons either they are imported off-site or not appearing in my reply abilities.
"Editing" and the features missing above cant be done BEFORE you shoot your post into a thread.You wait 12 hrs and THEN get the ability to edit it? HUNH? how does that make any sense? on a more productive note still i thinking editing that way adds not detracts from the quality of a thread.

was the wait-12hr-before-edit a decision of the admin or a consensual opinion of all the moderators themselves?
(Initially edit options were avaiable and now they've suddenly vanished).

Sinera
13th June 2011, 03:10 PM
I really would only like to edit out a few of them in my Journal, for understandable reasons ;), here's an example (it was originally formatted in VERY tiny font):

http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/showthread.php?11852-Volgerle-s-Lucidiary&p=96897#post96897

Sinera
13th June 2011, 03:14 PM
I agree to psionickx regarding an immediate possibilty to re-edit some typos or mistakes to make posts more understandable and legible. It helps to make the forum entries better, not worse.

I don't understand this decision of not being able to post-Edit. I have also never seen such a thing configured in any other forum. The few instances that are given as a reason do not justify this in my view at all.

psionickx
13th June 2011, 03:35 PM
At the moment, the forum is set to make it so posts can't be edited after twelve hours have elapsed. It's possible to set the time to longer (24 hours is common and popular on a lot of forums). The mods need to discuss it a bit more to see what we think would work well.

Frankly post-editing makes ZILCH as sense.I'm not a member to any of those and nor is Volgerle... sites where there is no liberty or freedom of voicing yourself in the manner you so desire (fascists would appeal to others of their kin ofcourse).The old site had none of this hog-wash and managed to accrue quite a number of members.

Historically, while the vast majority of participants are completely reasonable in the editing of old posts.

so how is the new format encouraging misuse exactly?

we have had some who would come along and delete all their content, leaving a thread pretty much nonsense and impossible to follow, so we are inclined to have SOME limitation.
Didnt happen in an entire year+ i was there....hmmmm.......oh well C does run a tight ship.Filling big shoes isn't - easy so i will not hold against that against the currently active moderators (as "super" as they have labelled themself to be)

I used the italicizing option to put on emphasis on what i mean to emote the most.without a proper editing panel like it was on the last board : writing is no longer fun.Just that simple.PERIOD.

CFTraveler
13th June 2011, 08:32 PM
Guys, we're still working out the bugs, and I'm sure that the editing thing can be adjusted when we're all up to speed. Unfortunately I can't be active for a few more days, can't be helped at the moment. But thanks for the vote of confidence.
BTW the titles came with the format, it's built in.

poème
13th June 2011, 08:49 PM
Regarding the post-editing, how about permitting post-editing completely but adding on the forum rules that members should avoid deleting completely their posts for the reasons mentionned by CW?

If someone wants to retract his or her words, then the best (and most humble) way would be to say so and why without removing the original post's content, either in another post or by adding a few words at the end of the original post content.

If ever a member does go too far on post-editing, then a moderator could notify him or her, as per forum rules... This way it wouldn't feel restricting for other members.

Also, I've been wondering if it was possible to extend the... 10 000 character's limit on a post...? I had to split my last lenghty post in two because it was, well, 'sligtly' over the limit :lol:

ButterflyWoman
13th June 2011, 11:24 PM
Regarding the post-editing, how about permitting post-editing completely but adding on the forum rules that members should avoid deleting completely their posts for the reasons mentionned by CW?
Have tried that. ;)

If someone wants to retract his or her words, then the best (and most humble) way would be to say so and why without removing the original post's content, either in another post or by adding a few words at the end of the original post content.

If ever a member does go too far on post-editing, then a moderator could notify him or her, as per forum rules... This way it wouldn't feel restricting for other members.
Well, limiting the ability to edit posts is pretty standard on most discussion boards. The usual is 24 hours, but I used to be a member at one where you could edit until someone else followed up to the thread (not an option on this board, but an interesting twist, I thought).

There might be a a way to put people in a special "no edit" group, but I haven't investigated it fully, yet. Too much other stuff on my plate just now (but I will look into it).

I've been wondering if it was possible to extend the... 10 000 character's limit on a post...?
[EDIT] Yes, I found it while fixing something else. It's been increased now. We'll see how it goes (I doubt people are suddenly going to start posting super long posts just because they can :tongue:)

I had to split my last lenghty post in two because it was, well, 'sligtly' over the limit :lol:
Changing that would probably not present an issue. I doubt we'd get a big rash of people suddenly posting enormous things just because they can. :mrgreen:

ButterflyWoman
13th June 2011, 11:30 PM
when i use the "reply to thread" button there is no

"qouting" option.( i mean to quote several people in one post , not just one by "reply using quote" button)
You need to go to the post you want to quote and click the "Reply with Quote" button.

"Highlighting or italicizing option.Isn't available so is color and all that.
Yes it is. You need to go to your settings and choose the WYSIWYG editor. It's in a thread, right here in this very forum, stickied at the top. Here's a link: http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/showthread.php?12206-Smileybox-and-WYSIWYG-Editor

"Icons" appear on the sujbect header and not the posts interior content itself.
WYSIWIG editor. See above.

I see other people using emoticons either they are imported off-site or not appearing in my reply abilities.
Read the smileys thread. See above.

"Editing" and the features missing above cant be done BEFORE you shoot your post into a thread.You wait 12 hrs and THEN get the ability to edit it? HUNH?
Uhm... what? It's supposed to allow you to edit for 12 hours and then take away that ability.

was the wait-12hr-before-edit a decision of the admin or a consensual opinion of all the moderators themselves?
Oh, for pity's sake. It was just something that got set while learning the back end of the board.

Believe it or not, none of this stuff is to vex you, and believe it or not, all the mods are VOLUNTEERS who have lives. We're doing the best we can under some less than ideal circumstances.

So, maybe, cut some slack, yeah?

ButterflyWoman
13th June 2011, 11:56 PM
Right. Here's a link. It's a thread relating to the editing of posts. Read it.

http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/showthread.php?12227-Post-Editing

psionickx
14th June 2011, 09:42 AM
So, maybe, cut some slack

has anyone noticed C 's adorable when shes worked up?

can italicize now....thankyou http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/liebe/love-smiley-024.gif

Seeuzin
14th June 2011, 10:07 AM
I think the post-editing time limit was a good idea, I just didn't post about it because I was happy with it. :p (Isn't that silly? People tend to only speak up when they are unhappy with something and when something happens that they are cool with, they may appreciate it, but will be less vocal about it. And I'm no exception. Ack! lol)

But anyway I could see how it could be pretty useful. There were some threads on the old board I had trouble following.

It's probably not a big deal either way, it's a minor feature. But if you guys did want to give it a trial run, I bet there are other folks who think it could be a good idea to try it out too and just haven't said anything :p If trying it angers people, I'm sure you guys will be informed of that too lol.

*edit*

I try really hard to consider my words when I post them and will keep this in mind when editing, thank you. Sometimes I edit too much. :p And on that note I have edited this post 5 times lol. Goodnight, hehe

Sinera
14th June 2011, 02:51 PM
Isn't that silly? People tend to only speak up when they are unhappy with something and when something happens that they are cool with, they may appreciate it, but will be less vocal about it.
I don't think we are silly.

This thread is about reporting (and probably discussing) 'forum weirdness' (see title).

So this kind of 'bug reporting' and some way of upcoming criticism is just a natural thing to do here (so I thought). In a thread like this you (are asked to) report things that you want to be changed because they don't work or should work better/differently, that's all, it is not about negativity and ranting in general, which is not my cup of tea either.

And as I said above: the smileys RULE :thumbsup::clap:

Seeuzin
14th June 2011, 05:17 PM
So this kind of 'bug reporting' and some way of upcoming criticism is just a natural thing to do here (so I thought).

Of course it's natural :p But it is an important point, that if all the mods hear are complaints about a given feature, and don't hear positive feedback from people who would like it to stay, they may leave with a mistaken impression and change something that people were happy with.

Maybe people in general ARE unhappy with this feature, but so far there haven't been many complaints. So most people are at least "neutral" on it, and I for one like it! I would not be surprised if there are others.

Saying "Hey, I like this feature, keep it!" is just as important for them to hear as "This needs changing," and is definitely relevant to a forum feedback thread. They need to hear both.

As for the "silly" comment, it was people in a general sense who I was calling silly, and I'm sorry you felt it was personal. I've always enjoyed your posts. Forgive me Volgerle? :)

/tangent

To be honest, I will also admit that I was also reacting to the tone of some of the complaints, and the fact that some posters had not even read what the "12 hours" meant before making up their own definition of the rule (that you had to wait 12 hours and THEN could edit) and then proceeded to complain about it.

I'm very grateful for what the mods do here and it "got me" a bit. They've helped me a lot. You all have.

Yeah the smileys are cool.

/tangent off

CFTraveler
14th June 2011, 05:47 PM
has anyone noticed C 's adorable when shes worked up?

can italicize now....thankyou http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/liebe/love-smiley-024.gif
That's because she has had to deal with all the problems of the migration and the setting up of the new forums, singlehandedly, and I haven't been any help at all, partly due to illness, and partly due to some more forum weirdness related to my own account, so you should be grateful she's here to take care of them as they spring up.

Sinera
14th June 2011, 05:53 PM
Forgive me Volgerle? :)
nothing to forgive, we're fine and we're all friends here anyway :grouphug:
which includes of course our :heart:-ly moderators, they are great!
(... and the smileys ;))

Seeuzin
14th June 2011, 06:36 PM
:lol: Yeah :heart: the smileys

wstein
15th June 2011, 01:01 AM
I was able to post to an 'Ask RB' topic (my bad, sorry).

I thought that used to be locked so we couldn't do that??

CFTraveler
15th June 2011, 02:06 AM
I was able to post to an 'Ask RB' topic (my bad, sorry).

I thought that used to be locked so we couldn't do that?? AFAIK it was uneditable, and if anyone replied to it we'd move it to the down under forum or make a copy (depending on the situation).
Because of the migration we haven't fine tuned the details yet.... you know.

Neil Templar
15th June 2011, 01:09 PM
Hi. i just posted, in the dreaming forum. when i go to "new posts", my post isn't there.
but it is where it should be in the dreaming forum...

CFTraveler
15th June 2011, 05:43 PM
You're the second person who has reported missing posts. It obviously does not pertain to your case, but if you don't see your old posts, look at the bottom of the page at your display options; that can be changed to whatever you want, but came with relatively recent posts pre-clicked.

I am not sure what is happening with posts that have disappeared- this is a mystery to me.

ButterflyWoman
15th June 2011, 11:17 PM
I am not sure what is happening with posts that have disappeared- this is a mystery to me.
Me, too. I have a sort of guess on a couple of things like this, but mostly I'm just like :whatthe:

Neil Templar
16th June 2011, 12:16 PM
strange. i just posted a new entry in the dreaming forum, and again, it's not in the new posts page...:(

i had a look at the display options, but can't see anything that would affect this...

Korpo
16th June 2011, 12:50 PM
Ignore list issue:

If somebody is on your ignore list, the posts are hidden with this message:

This message is hidden because XXX is on your ignore list.
View Post
Remove user from ignore list

If I click "View Post" a separate tab opens in my browser, but the post is still hidden. However, if I click the "View Post" link on the bottom right of the same post, it works.

ButterflyWoman
16th June 2011, 01:15 PM
If I click "View Post" a separate tab opens in my browser, but the post is still hidden. However, if I click the "View Post" link on the bottom right of the same post, it works.
Well, I'm clueless on that one. Could be browser behaviour, could be the way the javascript is interpreted, could be a lot of things. I'm just about positive it's not a setting of any kind. I tested it myself, and it behaves that way for me, too. I can poke around the back end and see if there's some setting for it, but no guarantees. (Guess that's a hint that you shouldn't get nosy and try to read posts by people on your ignore list, I guess. :P)

CFTraveler
16th June 2011, 04:45 PM
If I had to guess I'd guess it's a feature of the template- so that you get one more chance to change your mind.

Neil Templar
16th June 2011, 09:40 PM
ok, this is just weird.
not only do my own posts not show up in the new posts page, but THIS VERY THREAD is sometimes not in it, and then again, sometimes it is...

Neil Templar
16th June 2011, 09:44 PM
also, my PM notifications are crazy. it says i have 83 unread messages. these are all old messages, i've definitely read.

CFTraveler
16th June 2011, 10:00 PM
also, my PM notifications are crazy. it says i have 83 unread messages. these are all old messages, i've definitely read. Those are probably imported old pms- if you go into your control panel and look at the left-hand buttons you will see them there-you can delete them from there.
When the import was made, everything was imported, including old pms, and the notification button (on the upper right side) doesn't know the difference.
When I first came in I couldn't even send a pm to anyone because the thingie said I had too many sent pms. That's when I discovered the imported stuff.

CFTraveler
16th June 2011, 10:03 PM
ok, this is just weird.
not only do my own posts not show up in the new posts page, but THIS VERY THREAD is sometimes not in it, and then again, sometimes it is...
I have no clue as to why this would be, other than you need to refresh it or something.
I can see where it would not appear in the new posts thread if no one has posted in it since the last time you went there. But other than that, I have no idea what it means.

Neil Templar
16th June 2011, 10:05 PM
Those are probably imported old pms- if you go into your control panel and look at the left-hand buttons you will see them there-you can delete them from there.
When the import was made, everything was imported, including old pms, and the notification button (on the upper right side) doesn't know the difference.
When I first came in I couldn't even send a pm to anyone because the thingie said I had too many sent pms. That's when I discovered the imported stuff.

yeah i just had to delete a bunch before i could send one there. sorted now :)

Neil Templar
16th June 2011, 10:07 PM
I have no clue as to why this would be, other than you need to refresh it or something.
I can see where it would not appear in the new posts thread if no one has posted in it since the last time you went there. But other than that, I have no idea what it means.

ok, i see what's going on with this. when I post in this thread, the thread disappears from the new posts page.
ok, does anyone else see any posts from me in the past day, in the new posts page? i posted this morning...

ButterflyWoman
16th June 2011, 10:09 PM
I did have a good look at the settings and did some Googling but I can't find anything about it. I think it's something the web guy is going to have to look at.

CFTraveler
16th June 2011, 10:16 PM
Neil, 'new posts' usually refer to a post someone else posted in that you haven't been to- so if you post in three threads and I go see it, it will no longer be in the list for me- as soon as I go to it it will disappear from it whenever I go the next time.
In other words, the 'new post' list will be different for everyone, because it depends on what they have already seen.
So chances are it's behaving how it should, in this respect.

I will be glad to look and see that the posts you made are wherever you left them, but if I have already seen them, they won't be in the list- because for me, they are no longer 'new posts', until someone else posts in it.

This is standard for SMF forums, and I assume VB. should be the same.

Neil Templar
16th June 2011, 10:18 PM
Neil, 'new posts' usually refer to a post someone else posted in that you haven't been to- so if you post in three threads and I go see it, it will no longer be in the list for me- as soon as I go to it it will disappear from it whenever I go the next time.
In other words, the 'new post' list will be different for everyone, because it depends on what they have already seen.
So chances are it's behaving how it should, in this respect.

I will be glad to look and see that the posts you made are wherever you left them, but if I have already seen them, they won't be in the list- because for me, they are no longer 'new posts', until someone else posts in it.

This is standard for SMF forums, and I assume VB. should be the same.

hehe, yep. i just discovered that's how it works.
so if i'm not logged in, i can see my post from earlier today, in the "today's posts" page, which becomes "new posts" when logged in...:)

ok, no problem then :)

CFTraveler
16th June 2011, 10:19 PM
That's a relief.
:cool:

Sinera
17th June 2011, 12:08 AM
is it possible to please extend the word maximum even higher now? for one long post I still need to edit out some of those giant error-sizes, but when I click on 'save' the error message comes and tells me: "The text that you have entered is too long (17344 characters). Please shorten it to 15000 characters long."
could we go for 18.000 , so I can iron out the monster formats? many thanx :-)

ButterflyWoman
17th June 2011, 12:24 AM
could we go for 18.000 , so I can iron out the monster formats?
Done.

wstein
23rd June 2011, 01:02 AM
It’s been over a week on the new forums and there is some stuff I don’t like and some stuff I miss. Maybe I just can’t find it or maybe it is gone??

1) It is very hard to tell which topic in a forum are read and not read. There is a tiny blue circle with an arrow and a slight bolding of the topic but it’s hard to pick out. The large envelopes on the left are color coded but not in any pattern I can tell. Then there are a bunch of ‘special’ symbols over some of the envelopes.
2) Where is ‘show me any new posts since I logged in last’? New posts shows all posts I have not read.
3) Where is show my posts?
4) Next thread is buried at the bottom of the page, which can involve a lot of scrolling if I’m not interested. The top was better, probably both is a good idea.
5) When reading private messages, there is no next or previous messages buttons
6) If I try to delete a private message while looking at it without clicking properly on the tiny box at the left, I get sent to a dead end page telling me I deleted nothing but there is not any obvious thing to do at that point. I usually use the browser ‘back’.
7) I would like a new feature, show me any threads to which I have responded and contain new posts since the last time I logged in
8 ) P.S. I liked the poster info on the left so it does not break up the topic

CFTraveler
23rd June 2011, 02:33 AM
It’s been over a week on the new forums and there is some stuff I don’t like and some stuff I miss. Maybe I just can’t find it or maybe it is gone?? Well, we're not all completely done with learning it, so some of the things are probably changeable, with this template. I have only a few answers, so here it is:

1) It is very hard to tell which topic in a forum are read and not read. There is a tiny blue circle with an arrow and a slight bolding of the topic but it’s hard to pick out. The large envelopes on the left are color coded but not in any pattern I can tell. Then there are a bunch of ‘special’ symbols over some of the envelopes. Yes, I find it hard to see, and I'm not sure if it's a template thing or if it's just a matter of getting used to it.
However, in the main forum page in the way bottom it shows you what all the colors mean, and you can edit how you want to see the threads, which is one of the questions down below.

2) Where is ‘show me any new posts since I logged in last’? New posts shows all posts I have not read. Isn't that the same? Or am I not understanding the question?

3) Where is show my posts? For all your posts,Go to your control panel (on the top of the page) "My Profile" and then from there goto "Find All Posts". All of yours, whether you read them or not

4) Next thread is buried at the bottom of the page, which can involve a lot of scrolling if I’m not interested. The top was better, probably both is a good idea. That is adjustable two ways, the one I talked about above, of from your own control panel- in your Settings (on the top, right next to your profile you can go to "Thread Display Options" and select the display mode to how you want them.

5) When reading private messages, there is no next or previous messages buttons I just go back to the inbox, but haven't played around with it enough.

6) If I try to delete a private message while looking at it without clicking properly on the tiny box at the left, I get sent to a dead end page telling me I deleted nothing but there is not any obvious thing to do at that point. I usually use the browser ‘back’. No answer, it hasn't happened to me yet.

7) I would like a new feature, show me any threads to which I have responded and contain new posts since the last time I logged in It's not this, but there is also another feature on the top buttons-in the 'Quick Links' button, you can select 'today's posts'.

Alienor
23rd June 2011, 06:11 AM
The new forum does allow only all together 50 PMs to be stored. That appears to be a step backwards - I just had to delete all my old messages even when on the old forum there had been still plenty of space left.
50 per box (in and sent) I consider a minimum for a modern forum.

In any case, if this stays such limited, people might want to check their PM boxes and empty them.

ButterflyWoman
23rd June 2011, 06:27 AM
Where is ‘show me any new posts since I logged in last’? New posts shows all posts I have not read.
Upper left hand corner. It's the link that says "New Posts".

show me any threads to which I have responded and contain new posts since the last time I logged in
Already there. Go to your Settings (upper right hand corner of forum) and then to General Settings on the left hand side. In the many customisation options available you'll find: Default Thread Subscription Mode. You can set all kinds of stuff there. To view subscriptions, look on the left where it says Subscriptions. I'm pretty sure that everyone's account is set by default to auto-subscribe you to any thread you've replied in. Just check your subscriptions folder when you log in, and you can see any updates immediately. You can also subscribe to any thread manually, too, of course.

ButterflyWoman
23rd June 2011, 06:36 AM
I increased the number of PMs a user can store. It's apparently done by usergroup rather than a global setting, which is probably why it wasn't adjusted before.

wstein
24th June 2011, 01:24 AM
1) It is very hard to tell which topic in a forum are read and not read. There is a tiny blue circle with an arrow and a slight bolding of the topic but it’s hard to pick out. The large envelopes on the left are color coded but not in any pattern I can tell. Then there are a bunch of ‘special’ symbols over some of the envelopes. Yes, I find it hard to see, and I'm not sure if it's a template thing or if it's just a matter of getting used to it.

However, in the main forum page in the way bottom it shows you what all the colors mean, and you can edit how you want to see the threads, which is one of the questions down below. On main page there are 4 types listed FOR SUBTOPICS only, I see no way to change them.

Within a sub-forum there are 6 listed (I know there are more) again no way to change them. The blue and black colors are nearly the same on my monitor, and the two ‘hot threads’ look nearly identical.

2) Where is ‘show me any new posts since I logged in last’? New posts shows all posts I have not read. Isn't that the same? Or am I not understanding the question? The quick links shows new posts since my last login (what I wanted). New posts shows any thread I have not read EVER.

3) Where is show my posts? For all your posts, Go to your control panel (on the top of the page) "My Profile" and then from there goto "Find All Posts". All of yours, whether you read them or not It does show my posts. There is no status information about them (did I read them?, did I respond?)

4) Next thread is buried at the bottom of the page, which can involve a lot of scrolling if I’m not interested. The top was better, probably both is a good idea. That is adjustable two ways, the one I talked about above, of from your own control panel- in your Settings (on the top, right next to your profile you can go to "Thread Display Options" and select the display mode to how you want them. There is nothing about navigation there??

7) I would like a new feature, show me any threads to which I have responded and contain new posts since the last time I logged in It's not this, but there is also another feature on the top buttons-in the 'Quick Links' button, you can select 'today's posts'. Yes, this is it!

I know you guys are still working on stuff

Sinera
24th June 2011, 07:34 PM
some issues:

- still no draft option available

- multiple quoting would be nice to answer to more users in one post

- problems with linking and showing pics (img-tag?), i tried but it told me 'invalid url' although it was a normal valid one, img-tag did not work

- who needs quick-reply? that's for chatting addicts only ... :wink:
why can't we have the advanced version from the beginning, it is better and more fun, anyway, imho

- why does this post now appear written in small letters only?

CFTraveler
24th June 2011, 09:12 PM
http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/showthread.php?12323-New-Member-Intros&p=99662#post99662

Here's the 'showthread' option, which is adjustable: http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/showthread.php?12323-New-Member-Intros&p=99662#post99662

CFTraveler
24th June 2011, 09:16 PM
some issues:

- still no draft option available No, but you can copy from Word, for whatever that's worth.

- multiple quoting would be nice to answer to more users in one post You mean it can't be done now?

- problems with linking and showing pics (img-tag?), i tried but it told me 'invalid url' although it was a normal valid one, img-tag did not work It works for me. Does this happen with every IMG tag?

- who needs quick-reply? that's for chatting addicts only ... :wink: Some of us like it. When we don't have time to prepare something complicated.

- why does this post now appear written in small letters only? I don't understand what this means. You can change the letter size in the above buttons.

ButterflyWoman
25th June 2011, 12:59 AM
multiple quoting would be nice to answer to more users in one post
Multi-quote is definitely turned on as an option (or it was last time I checked; there have been changes made since then, most of them initiated by Robert).

who needs quick-reply? that's for chatting addicts only
It was turned off. Robert turned it back on. Take it up with him. ;)

Personally, I don't like QuickReply, either, but it does make the forum somewhat faster overall, and a lot of people DO like it. I'm looking into whether or not it could be made optional by user choice, though (no luck so far, but still looking in between doing the actual work I need to be doing; everything I do here is on a volunteer basis and purely out of the geekiness of my heart or some sort of inspiration).

As for the draft option, Robert will have to be the one to do that, and in order to do it, he needs to download the modification and install it. As I understand it, he hasn't had the use of his own computer lately (it's being repaired), but only a borrowed laptop. Until he gets the opportunity to deal with the request, you might want to take a deep breath and use Notepad to prepare your posts, and then copy/paste to the forum. The benefit of that is that you can very easily keep a backup copy of your own.

Sorry, I know it's not what you want to hear, but as I've said before, Rome wasn't burnt in a day.

I'm also going to note in general that while we can and will address actual malfunctions if we can, we cannot possibly adjust the board to suit everyone's individual preferences and tastes. I'm also going to note that the moderators - and Robert - are all still learning how stuff works, ourselves. None of us have ever done any sort of moderation on a vBulletin board (though I think some of us have experience as a user of it).

ButterflyWoman
25th June 2011, 01:26 AM
With regard to "Draft", I just found this on the net (Google is my friend). It's a quick-and-dirty means of saving drafts if you don't want to use Notepad (or you can't for some reason):

Go to ===> Quick Link ===> My Profile ===> and look at the left screen ===> user note ===> select User note ...and then post what ever you like ...It's will save in you profile as a draft .

To delete ...just click edit ...and then click at the box Delete ....that's it .
I'm just passing it on in case it might be useful to someone.

I'm also going to test posting an image:

And another:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-rEPosNl2Nz0/TZNHZqUoC7I/AAAAAAAAAW4/5IOUMePRTCE/s320/key.jpg

The first was uploaded from my hard drive (yes, I have a photo of Robert on my hard drive, what can I say :P) and the second is a direct link to a photo on a Blogger blog.

Sinera
25th June 2011, 11:14 AM
well, that's strange, now i tested it again and it worked (deleted in text area again), although it is a bit more akward that you have to fill in a dialogue, in the old forum you just put in the link and clicked on the img-button, that was way easier imho

however, as i said in the other thread, when I did the post first in the thread concerned, it told me 'invalid url' (and i had really copied the right url from the browser, as i checked it)

same goes for multiple quoting, does not work for me as the posts below the preview version & text entry edit / formatting area are not in format as posts to be quoted additionally, but just appear as a list of texts beneath each other
thanks for the google tip, i will check it out (fotos of robert, really:lmao:? but rest assured, i promise i'll tell no one, your secret is save with me :cool:.)

ButterflyWoman
25th June 2011, 01:55 PM
same goes for multiple quoting, does not work for me as the posts below the preview version & text entry edit / formatting area are not in format as posts to be quoted additionally, but just appear as a list of texts beneath each other
Hmmm. There's a button in the lower right hand corner of every post. Looks like a "talk bubble" with a set of quotation marks in it and plus in the lower right corner of it. That's the button to click if you want to have multi-quote enabled for a particular post. It's either in "on" or "off" position. If it's not on, it doesn't do the multi thing, but if it's on, it's supposed to. I double checked again and the option to multi-quote is definitely turned on in the back end of the board.

fotos of robert, really:lmao:?
:D I set up his profile here for him, that's why I had them. But I do have an extraordinary collection of images on my hard drive. Too many years of digital design, I guess. I can't stand to throw a picture away. :)

Neil Templar
9th July 2011, 05:46 PM
I uploaded a new avatar today. First i just uploaded the large image, to see if the forum would either re-size it, or not allow a large image to be uploaded. It did neither. The large image was accepted, and displayed at full size. I don't know if this is considered a problem, or if the Mods would just inform anyone uploading over-sized avatars, to re-size them?...

psionickx
9th July 2011, 09:52 PM
I can't stand to throw a picture away.
ofcourse.

.. but rest assured, i promise i'll tell no one, your secret is save with me :cool:.)
I'm with violet on this one ..i.ehttp://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/aktion/action-smiley-088.gif

The large image was accepted, and displayed at full size.
Lucky you!

IA56
30th August 2011, 05:38 PM
Hi. Is everything right my blog i did write from my phoneAnd did edit today but i can not see the chagesI did made? Pls tell me what wrong i do. I do not see it ön blog page, only when i log. in.LoveIA

CFTraveler
30th August 2011, 05:59 PM
For more info, see:

http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/showthread.php?12720-What-does-quot-Moderated-Blog-Entry-quot-mean&p=102894#post102894

sdbl731
2nd October 2011, 09:58 PM
This may have been mentioned already, but there seem to be a bunch of broken links in AD-pedia (probably in other places, too) pointing to the old forums.

CFTraveler
2nd October 2011, 10:22 PM
Yes and I'm working on them. Because the new site has things in different places, and he has rewritten many of his SD and NEW tutorials, I've been having a hard time locating things. There are other technical problems I'm having in rewriting the AD pedia in alphabetical order due to it's size (I have to rewrite the entire thing, not just replace the broken links) so it's going slowly, but it is going.
What I've done so far is to redirect the links in some stickied topics that were broken before, but he AD Pedia is quite large and it's taking me a long time- but it is being worked on.

PS. Thank you for letting me know someone actually uses the AD Pedia- I've been wondering if anyone had noticed (or cared) many of the links were broken or directed to the archived themes, since it's taking me so long to fix it.

sdbl731
3rd October 2011, 02:47 AM
It was part of my "welcome back" tour of the (new) forums, since because I hadn't logged in for almost 2 years.

I'll report back if I find any more wackiness.

P.S. It's good to be back.

proyect_outzone
24th January 2012, 10:53 PM
I have an strange problem with my email. My main email account does not receive any email from your forum Server. I tried 2 email adresses from it. The affected email adresses ends with @arcor.de . This is the first time, that this E-Mail account does not receive a mail, which was sended. Other mails are still arriving, and i entered the adresses correctly. Any yes, i checked also the spam folder.

I had to use my "emergency account" to register. This account received the activation mail immediately.

CFTraveler
25th January 2012, 03:53 AM
pm me the account you are using, to see if it's set to send you emails.

ButterflyWoman
25th January 2012, 06:34 PM
Technically, there's no reason why this board software would be able to send mail successfully to one account and not another. It just sends, that's it. It doesn't discriminate, and has no way to do so. Mail is sent, it goes out from the system, and if the email address is invalid (which I'm not suggesting is what happening here) or there's some other issue, it doesn't matter. It all gets sent.

Therefore, it's got to be something between here and there, and most probably on the receiving ISP's end. Some ISPs use various kinds of "greylisting" or "blacklisting" and will automatically reject at the mail gateway on the server any mail that doesn't conform to certain technical parameters. This is generally done to cut down on spam, of course, but if something on the sending end isn't configured to exact technical specifications, legitimate mail can be rejected, as well.

And due to the way a board like this is set up, we have no way of checking to see if mail is being bounced back, as far as I know. I believe the board sends from a "noreply" address, and anything sent to it goes directly to the bit bucket.

Seeuzin
16th March 2013, 11:35 AM
Really minor bug, my enter key doesn't work on Astral Dynamics :p

Haha...it works in word processing programs and other webforms, but in the AD "quick reply" form (and also go-advanced mode) it's unresponsive.

It's really easy to work around with copy/paste, figured it couldn't hurt to report anyway.

This is a new ASUS laptop running Windows 8. What else should I post?

ButterflyWoman
16th March 2013, 02:09 PM
That's weird. What browser are you using? Try a different browser and see what happens. (I like Chrome and Firefox; you could also try Opera). It's almost certainly something on your end, some way that your browser or other aspect of the system is interpreting some of the code on this site (I've had similar things happen, though not lately).

If all else fails, though, you can type out what you want to write in Notepad or some other text editor (I recommend NoteTab, which is free, but very rich in features), and then copy and paste and post that way. I've done that sometimes, and if nothing else, it gives you a chance to really think about it before you click "send". ;)

Seeuzin
18th March 2013, 10:12 AM
if nothing else, it gives you a chance to really think about it before you click "send". ;)

Hey! Why would I do that! I...uhh...always think out my replies, make sure they are really intelligent, and stuff, before I hit the post-button-thing. ;):oops:

I downloaded Firefox and my enter key works! I was using Internet Explorer. >< I had gone on a lengthy internet hiatus and forgotten that IE has some bugs and nonsense. Thanks Butterflywoman!

ButterflyWoman
18th March 2013, 11:01 AM
Glad to see my old ISP support tech skills still work. ;)

CFTraveler
18th March 2013, 05:15 PM
I use Safari on my Windows whatever I got. And I hate IE. :D