PDA

View Full Version : Arguments against Monism / Source

D.O.
13th June 2011, 01:07 AM
If everything is "me", how come if someone burns some wood in New Zealand, I don't become burned?

If someone in the Universe becomes 100% enlightened, will I automatically become enlightened?

It might actually be dangerous to achieve unity with Source, since if someone breaks a pencil in half, you would instantly be snapped in half.

heliac
13th June 2011, 03:35 AM
If everything is "me", how come if someone burns some wood in New Zealand, I don't become burned?

If someone in the Universe becomes 100% enlightened, will I automatically become enlightened?

It might actually be dangerous to achieve unity with Source, since if someone breaks a pencil in half, you would instantly be snapped in half.

Lately I've been thinking of this type of thing as a reunion with the source instead of homogeneity. Kind you like you are visiting a long lost friend, family or college.

That state of being connected to everything, in my experience, is still contained within a unique sense of individuality.

wstein
13th June 2011, 04:27 AM
How come if you burn your hand, your back is not also burned?

FYI Joining source means that there is no anything else (New Zealand or anywhere else), it’s all the same one.

ButterflyWoman
13th June 2011, 05:42 AM
Because the burn is an illusion, the fire is an illusion, you are an illusion, the wood is an illusion, New Zealand is an illusion, and the biggest illusion of all is that there is separation between these illusory things.

Imagine one consciousness, and it is dreaming that it is billions and billions or even infinite separate and distinct selves of all sorts and descriptions. The dream is self-generating and builds on itself, and every one of the dream characters feels like it is independent of all the others. Consciousness is present in all of them (although, obviously, awareness is not present in most of them).

wstein
14th June 2011, 01:24 AM
DISCLAIMER: I write from my present unique interpretation of my direct experience of that which we call reality. Your reality may vary. Nice try, but this IS your reality.

ButterflyWoman
14th June 2011, 06:33 AM
Nice try, but this IS your reality.
I'm aware of that.

CFTraveler
14th June 2011, 05:57 PM
I moved this thread because it was originally posted in the 'Ask RB' forum.
D.O., if your intention was to hear Robert's answer only, please write a new post for Robert- Sorry about this, sometimes we don't realize it's the wrong forum to answer, and the discussions get interesting.

Ps. I had replied also and deleted my answer originally after I realized where it was (a few days ago, I think) so I'll repeat what I said before-

If I have an egg, and cook it and fry it, and eat only half, and leave the other half in the pan, is the leftover not also 'egg'?

Cheers.

ButterflyWoman
15th June 2011, 06:16 AM
Sorry about this, sometimes we don't realize it's the wrong forum to answer, and the discussions get interesting.
Ooops! I thought it WAS in Down Under. D'oh! :oops:

(We might have to look into disallowing posting in Ask Robert for all except Robert. Not sure precisely how we'd do that, but I think it can be done...)

psionickx
15th June 2011, 01:12 PM
If I have an egg, and cook it and fry it, and eat only half, and leave the other half in the pan, is the leftover not also 'egg'?

...now thats food for thaught.

ButterflyWoman
16th June 2011, 10:52 AM
How about this. If you don't like a spiritual-intuitive answer, how about a physics one?

It's because reality is holographic and time and space are illusions. In fact, a number of well respected and prominent physicists and mathematicians have openly questioned whether objective reality exists at all. And, there's also the question of quantum entanglement.

Feel free to google the terms holographic reality and space time illusion if you really want to know more.

psionickx
16th June 2011, 03:35 PM
In fact, a number of well respected and prominent physicists and mathematicians have openly questioned whether objective reality exists at all

Thankyou for posting this - i had no idea this was actually the going frank expert-opinon.Coming infact from those who forte it is to make it so.
For me personally i would much rather take into consideration what comes right from a intrapersonal liaison with a scientist and frankly such "inside information" is a luxury very few can brag much less expound.
You hear so frequently of this so called undergrad ,fly-by-night , run off the mill "published research" : "In a double-blind triple-trial placebo-placed 100 volunteer study we have postulated to produce result by showing that the String-Theory mainly posits that the electrons and quarks within an atom are infact not 0-dimensional objects as hoi polloi so assumes".

Nice try, but this IS your reality.
Like i said before opining either form/query/interjection or so called "bon mots" it generally fares well to be in clear stance of standing pertinent to given subject matter - if only to see how the discourse in question proceeds.

the discussions get interesting
Agreed.Given the stellar caliber of intellect here at AD it is very much an upshot more possible than not - reality in abeyance ,ceramic , flux or otherwise.

jamboh
17th June 2011, 01:28 AM
The original question and caterpillarwoman's first answer bring to mind a zen kōan:

Two monks were watching a flag flapping in the wind. One said to the other, “The flag is moving.”
The other replied, “The wind is moving.”
Huineng overheard this. He said, “Not the flag, not the wind; mind is moving.”

sleeper
10th August 2011, 04:22 PM

would you say that your actions don't affect others?

would you say that your thoughts don't affect others?

finally, would you say that your emotions don't influence others?

i don't condone most of the popularized hub-dub about this topic, however, i can not deny that it has legitimacy. The question that i'd like you to answer is whether the connection might be subtle ,or gross?

if the 'connection' was obvious for all to see, and it was large (gross), then how much space would it occupy? would we have room to walk around it - or would we all be entangled by it's web?

GRANT
11th August 2011, 03:21 PM
I think its a matter of awareness. I think in time, we all become connected as far as a type of communal mind. When and how that happens, I don't know. I tend to think it may be a sort of maturity into this communal mind. I think most of us humans are as children (awareness wise); including me. I believe we (in our western ways) are just beginning to scratch the surface. Of course, there are those who are very aware, maybe like the Tibetian cave dwellers as a type of example. Catch the rays of the Milky Way, while its visible!
Grant

Aunt Clair
12th November 2011, 04:46 PM
I can't buy into monism/source. Not at all, really.

If I am God than why are children being raped, murdered and starving to death? If I am God, why am I not nursing the poor in India? Mother Teresa did. If I am God why can't I influence the mind of the politicians who imprison political activists? Nelson Mandela did. If I am God , why can't I appear to someone in prayer on the other side of the world to encourage them? Christ can, Sai Baba can. If I am God, why can't I teach non violence to end prejudice and hate crimes? Martin Luther King did. If I am God, why can't I transmute my inner demons and live without sin? Many saints have done so. Clearly we have different abilities and expectations.

It is semantics. We are of God , We are of source. We are all united in one universal mind. But we are not one in the physical world of suffering or in the afterlife worlds, either. We are not the non sentient rock.

We are born , most of us, one at a time. We die , most of us, one at a time. We are like snowflakes each unique each having commonality, each derived from source.

Om Shanti.

IA56
12th November 2011, 05:36 PM
As I did understand my diviver line experience that God has nothing to do with this world....but all to do with what I want to call infinity.
Here in duality we got to train us...like mother Theresa did....like Mathin Luther King did and Jesus and Guru Nanak and so forth..
We have this "free will" and we can choose when we have avakenen so much that we can take a dessission...that we know so much what to choose between....No one is lost...No one is left behind...it take´s only different time to choose infinty....mean while we do have lokation´s in the duality...or in negativity....all is our own choise.....and to be total honest...I am not sure I will choose infinity when that time come´s for me to choose....I might not feel I am ready to be ONE so to speak....but I might also have so much life left that I can be sure where I want after this life....it is indeed interesing :love: