PDA

View Full Version : Trying to read in your dream

Guitarmaster72
9th July 2011, 01:15 AM
Has anyone ever attempted this? I've never done it on purpose, but there are occasional dreams I have where I either can only see words stringed together in a sentence, or I'm like reading a book or something in my dream. But has anyone that have done this realize that it is really strange to read stuff while your dreaming? It's only happened to me like 4 times (like 2 times during class lol) but every time i get the result of the sentence making absolutely no sense... and sometimes when i re-read the sentence to try and understand it, all of the words are changed into different words that also make no sense... sometimes I'll see a word change right when i'm reading it too. Anyone else get this result? What is like for you guys when you read in your dreams?

Beekeeper
9th July 2011, 11:49 AM
I've read successfully and had other times where I couldn't. The experience of being unable to read or reading something that's nonsense may be a metaphor where basically the dream is telling you that there's something you're, misreading about a situation.

There's also the theory that if you can't read you haven't developed the senses needed for that type of experience within the particular body (e.g. astral or mental) you're in and that it will come with development.

CFTraveler
9th July 2011, 03:21 PM
I can sometimes read, and sometimes can't. I think it has to do with self-awareness- sometimes I'll see text, get excited and lose it, sometimes I'll read many pages without thinking twice about it- the minute I become aware of what I'm doing I start to lose it.

poème
9th July 2011, 03:49 PM
I very often read text in my dreams. I don't always recall word for word what I read but I do recall the feel of it, or glimpses of information, especially when pictures accompany the text, but more often than not, I know when I wake up that I lost a good part of the content. Apparently though, this information is still retained and stored somewhere,although it is not accessible to the counscious self at the moment ;)

When I do recall the text word for word, it is usually only titles or not more than a sentence or two. I've noticed that I am more likely to recall text when it is ALL IN CAPITAL LETTERS ;) Interestingly, this also happened to me once in meditation. I saw a small sheet of paper and on it were written 3 words in big capital letters, which I did recall, surprisingly, since I very often lose a good deal of the information I get while I meditate... And there was more to it, I think, but what? I forgot!

Beekeeper
10th July 2011, 05:02 AM
You know, sometimes I dream another type of reading that is more about performing reading as a role in the dream and it's like I'm making up the information that I've "read." When I record such dreams, I have no sense of the actual words as something I physically saw. In these dreams, the reading is a quick part of the dream and doesn't feel as important as when I can or can't read actual words.

poème
11th July 2011, 09:18 PM
You know, sometimes I dream another type of reading that is more about performing reading as a role in the dream and it's like I'm making up the information that I've "read." When I record such dreams, I have no sense of the actual words as something I physically saw. In these dreams, the reading is a quick part of the dream and doesn't feel as important as when I can or can't read actual words.

That's a very good observation! It never occured to me that perhaps I wasn't always really reading separate words in my dreams. From what I can recall however, I do see text and really think I am reading, but it may be that I am actually processing information (energy) and that words in themselves are not the focus. It is rather the meaning of the information processed that is important in such dreams. That would explain why I had the impression I was translating what I was reading into impressions and feelings and images that I would remember better upon awakening... Dreams have truly become an endless source of amazement to me lately! :)

Korpo
12th July 2011, 04:40 AM
I had experiences of both reading and writing, but writing was more often of the form of making words appear. I would sometimes read out words, follow words along as they appear, recognise single words (especially on signs and logos) and sometimes I would just assume I have read something and that's how I understood its meaning (I glance at something and knowing what it means but I think I read it without remembering the actual act of reading).

Ariel
12th July 2011, 05:11 AM
I agree, reading and writting in dreams can be challenging. When I have tried writting in a dream using normal sized handwritting it always starts out legible for the first few letters and then either fades off into these extremely tiny letters that I cant read, or the letters get all jumbled together to the point that they no longer form the words I intended.

Beekeeper
12th July 2011, 10:57 AM
I agree. I find creating art of any type in dreams extremely easy.

Neil Templar
12th July 2011, 03:40 PM
I agree. I find creating art of any type in dreams extremely easy.

Yep, i often think in music...

Ariel
15th July 2011, 02:43 AM
Yep, i often think in music...

What is it like to "think" in music?

embrace
26th February 2012, 03:17 PM
I've done it many times in lucid dreams. It's very interesting, isn't it? When you attempt to read a book in a dream, it works, but it usually doesn't make sense. Never tried writing though.