PDA

View Full Version : Odd reactions to acupuncture treatment - is this normal?

Catalyst
24th July 2011, 08:24 PM
Hello all,

Just recently I started acupuncture treatment for depression, anxiety/panic, headaches, social phobia... bleh, the list goes on. The routine is 2 treatments per week for 5 weeks, plus herbal medication twice a day. The first two sessions (first week) were absolutely amazing.. I felt an immediate effect, and felt great for days afterward. However, I just finished my second week of treatment, and my reactions have been very different. I should mention that this last week they were working on my back as well as my front, whereas the first week they only worked on my front. Anyways, after my last two sessions I felt EXTREMELY drained. After the first session of the week, I was so exhausted that I went to bed right when I got home, which is very unusual for me. The next day, after both treatments, I suffered from pretty severe depression, social phobia, and irritation. I could hardly even speak a word to my family.

Today is the second day after my last treatment, and I'm still feeling a little low. I really don't get what the deal is; I read these types of reactions are very rare. Is it possible that a blockage was cleared, and I'm experiencing the "Dark night of the soul" that Robert speaks of?

psionickx
24th July 2011, 09:10 PM
The first two sessions (first week) were absolutely amazing.. I felt an immediate effect, and felt great for days afterward.

hello catalyst ,
how are you aware of the fact the first 2 sessions werent successful by placebo effect?

Catalyst
25th July 2011, 06:22 AM
Well, it may have been placebo. I've certainly considered it. However, the change felt quite pronounced, and because of all the positive reports I've read concerning acupuncture, I decided to embrace the feeling as a sign of progress.

It should be noted that the first two treatments were only on my front side, and that the needles *felt* thinner than the needles used for the last two sessions, which leads me to suspect that they are over-treating me, if that's even possible with acupuncture (I would think so). Also, there was more pain during the last two sessions, which is what lead me to believe that they used thicker needles. There was one in particular on my spine that made me jump in pain immediately, and continued to hurt mildly throughout the session. The pain disappeared once the needle was removed.

Please, any theories are greatly appreciated. Acupuncture isn't cheap, and crippling depression/lethargy isn't fun.

psionickx
25th July 2011, 09:35 AM
Acupuncture isn't cheap, and crippling depression/lethargy isn't fun.

hello catalyst ,
have you had proper treatment for your conditions before? i.e physician diagnosed and prescribed? is this your alternative treatment ?

Beekeeper
25th July 2011, 11:45 AM
The best people to ask for an explanation are the acupuncturists themselves. If you're dissatisfied and wish to discontinue, there is a pain free procedure called Emotional Freedom Technique that apparently works well.

I know by people who swear by the prescription medicines but some do have side effects like weight gain or contraindications.

Speaking with some knowledge, I know yoga helps people a lot with their depression. The breathing techniques have been particularly helpful to one of my students who suffered anxiety attacks and stretching is great for relieving headache.

Vitamins and minerals can alleviate symptoms of anxiety also, presumably by altering biochemistry in positive ways. I swear by a complete magnesium supplement and B vitamins are essential. St John's Wort is the well-known herbal remedy but I dare say there are others too if you speak with your local health food shop assistant. St John's Wort causes side effects with some people too.

psionickx
25th July 2011, 12:17 PM
The best people to ask for an explanation are the acupuncturists themselves.

Bulls eye!

but on an entirely personal note i just dont "buy" whatever accupuncture and its ilk have to offer (as effective as it might be for some people) - so i still reserve my initial opinion of all this being peachy keen as secondary/alternative/ancillary treatment to what a qualified liscensed physician might diagnose prescribe and treat (which is why i asked if this at all has even happened or not)

del Dardano Turann
22nd August 2011, 03:09 AM
two points:

1) When doing acupuncture you should carefully consider the training and qualifications of whomever is treating you. I live in the Bay Area where there are lots of 'acupuncturist' but only a handful are legit. I don't know in what part of what country you live in, but, it may be that there are no real acupuncturists there.
Don't go back to those who were treating you since they seem to not know what they're doing. Also, acupuncture is like psychics; the more it cost the less valid it is.

2) I would offer the following for psionickx's consideration: http://www.naturalnews.com/025057_acupuncture_placebo_changes.html

sleeper
22nd August 2011, 03:38 AM
you were depressed before. since acupuncture have you gained any symptoms? sometimes people just have a heightened sense of awareness upon holistic treatment and it seems that there are new symptoms, but they can be the same as the old ones.

there are other routes for eliminating depression and cultivating health. have you considered them?

how is your:
sleep
libido
diet
lifestyle
job
stress

treating those things eliminates depression in most people. i know because i'm a holistic health practitioner.

~dale

newfreedom
22nd August 2011, 09:34 PM
you were depressed before. since acupuncture have you gained any symptoms? sometimes people just have a heightened sense of awareness upon holistic treatment and it seems that there are new symptoms, but they can be the same as the old ones.

Yes, this has often been my experience during this life

there are other routes for eliminating depression and cultivating health. have you considered them?

how is your:
sleep
libido
diet
lifestyle
job
stress

treating those things eliminates depression in most people. i know because i'm a holistic health practitioner.

~dale

I had depression for about 6 yrs. before i became bi-polar (OR before i started my spirit-awakening process in earnest)

Back then as i saw it then, only these areas were problem areas that i could notice, see, feel,
:- libido, diet (sometimes) lifestyle(sometimes)

Now i realise at the moment now, all these areas i have issues in :-
sleep
libido
diet
lifestyle
job
stress

Holistic Health Practictioner - COOL :thumbsup::mrgreen:8)

----------------------------------------------------

What does being one of these entail then Dale?

Do you have a website you could share with us ..?

I have a friend who is a nutritional therapist and a BE instructor, who also does irridology.... I have had huge help over the years working at / with these therapies, practices and ways :clap::mrgreen::party:

Added later Note: Just after i had finished writing this comment, Eddie Izzard began talking about acupunkcher.......Hahaha...- Life synchronisitiies are so AWESOME when they happen xX::-)

newfreedom
22nd August 2011, 10:21 PM
two points:

1) When doing acupuncture you should carefully consider the training and qualifications of whomever is treating you. I live in the Bay Area where there are lots of 'acupuncturist' but only a handful are legit. I don't know in what part of what country you live in, but, it may be that there are no real acupuncturists there.
Don't go back to those who were treating you since they seem to not know what they're doing. Also, acupuncture is like psychics; the more it cost the less valid it is.

2) I would offer the following for psionickx's consideration: http://www.naturalnews.com/025057_acupuncture_placebo_changes.html

Thanks for the link, i read the title.... good to know this,

I'll hopefully read it through properly when i can....i always liked the idea that this therapy really did have the capacity to effect changes physically by touching and interacting with the unseen energy. I suppose for me it was just another type of 'proof' that spirit did exist and we were more than a 'Body'....

I have never had accupuncture, though i had a friend once who was having pain with her back and cancer and so i believe, she did gain some pain relief from this therapy.

sleeper
23rd August 2011, 12:31 AM
Yes, this has often been my experience during this life

I had depression for about 6 yrs. before i became bi-polar (OR before i started my spirit-awakening process in earnest)

Back then as i saw it then, only these areas were problem areas that i could notice, see, feel,
:- libido, diet (sometimes) lifestyle(sometimes)

Now i realise at the moment now, all these areas i have issues in :-
sleep
libido
diet
lifestyle
job
stress

Holistic Health Practictioner - COOL :thumbsup::mrgreen:8)

----------------------------------------------------

What does being one of these entail then Dale?

Do you have a website you could share with us ..?

I have a friend who is a nutritional therapist and a BE instructor, who also does irridology.... I have had huge help over the years working at / with these therapies, practices and ways :clap::mrgreen::party:

Added later Note: Just after i had finished writing this comment, Eddie Izzard began talking about acupunkcher.......Hahaha...- Life synchronisitiies are so AWESOME when they happen xX::-)

spiritual awakening compounds the problem of depression, at least it makes it harder to define it medically, because spiritual awakening=increased self awareness.

medically speaking, depression is an ambiguous term that doesn't have a solid definition - but you personally might have more than a few reasons for feeling 'depressed.' for instance, before spiritual awakening, you might have felt vaguely depressed, but after spiritual awakening you will feel a number of specific emotions that are normal and natural. So before spiritual awakening, you might have wanted to work hard, earn money, live a normal life, etc. but after spiritual awakening another part of you wants to take over. it is the real you, the one that wants to find and live your dream, live with a purpose, stop wasting time, laugh and enjoy friends, let go of emotional and spiritual attachments, help others. so therefore it is normal to become 'bipolar' in the eyes of medical 'professionals.'

side note - this is one reason why its recommended to deal with this stuff slowly and before raising kundalini. kundalini doesn't make you crazy, it just makes you deal with your life issues really quickly.

back to the relevant topic: normal life has you working long hours at an unfulfilling job for inadequate pay; this bleeds over into your relationships with persons, places and objects and affects the short list of essential things in our previous posts.

so long story short: the holistic view of depression has us treat the person and their lifestyle factors; mind, soul and body, and the depression goes away. forgive me if i said too much just now. i personally struggle with balancing how much truth to give someone at one time.

anyhow, these issues are simply reversed. literally we just need to reverse them.

first, find and start living your dream every day in small ways. over time (and it takes time, not to mention work) you can live your dream in a big way. but start small first. you can use your current job and lifestyle to practice helping others in the way you dream of helping them. be creative and above all loving when you do it.

here's a great quote: "if you're tired, you're not inspired." try to find ways to inspire yourself and i guarantee that you will have more energy.

sleep and other stuff is important; i always start with sleep. it's essential and simple to fix.

i don't have a website, i maybe should hire someone to make one for me. i just dont have time. i'm certified through the CHEK institute, i'm sure you can find me there.

hope that helps!

~dale

oh p.s.- dont give up on acupuncture. it might be the help you need again later. but probably not right now. just my 2c take it however you want.

newfreedom
23rd August 2011, 02:18 PM
ThankU...Soo much for this reply Dale, You definately did not say too much, in fact i have never personally heard such a sensible , understandable and gentle way of putting it, that makes more sense than i think i have ever heard before,.... So a big thankyou from me for that.... :toast:

Your name SLEEPER is interesting, ....
i am in a phase (manic) where i struggle to get enough sleep, had 2 lot's of 2hrs last night, but a normal 7 the night before, but before that i had gone a week on the edge without much or enough, but this is the usual in mania phases.

I got onto this page and i feel asleep befoe i could read your reply, must of been 'crashed-out' for about an hour...... interesting don't you think ?

:redface:8)xX:mrgreen:

I am going to make a long awated appointment with a local chiroprator, had majar lower back problems for years, but last 5 it's been seizing up everytime i try to get active, that's without the odema that sets in too.. Hahahah,, yer have to laugh... this being in a 'body' lark is quite something ..... :wacky1: