PDA

View Full Version : question: chakra opening techniques (mudras & chanting)

Sinera
25th July 2011, 10:29 AM
Since I am totally unexperienced with these exercises and development of chakras in general, my question:

What is your opinon on these exercises?

http://www.eclecticenergies.com/chakras/open.php

Are they worth anyting, do they work? Does anyone here practice in this way?

Beekeeper
25th July 2011, 11:36 AM
I can't see anything wrong with this, Volgerie. In fact, I've bookmarked it for possibly later use. I find chanting with other people particularly powerful and occasionally use chants in my downstairs yoga classes. I like the idea of those sounds floating up to the places my family and I inhabit.8)

iadnon
25th July 2011, 10:58 PM
I can remember by heart that such webpage was mentioned time ago. The same poster, years later, used the same thread to warn people about that same technique. In his words those mudras opened something evil in him which he was unable to control. Look for the thread, many people took part in it and it will be of value to you for sure.

IMO those mudras should strengthen the chakras, but I must admit I got quite scared after reading the cited post. The only way to know if they work is just to see it directly through inner vision... which I've not got, so far :-)

wigswest
26th July 2011, 12:12 AM
When I first started working on my chakras, I got this Deepak Chopra CD which was a great help:

http://www.amazon.com/Chakra-Balancing-Body-Mind-Soul/dp/B000667GNW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311638995&sr=8-1

Beekeeper
26th July 2011, 07:08 AM
Iadnon, I don't remember it. I'm not discounting the poster's experiences, especially without reading the thread, but I sometimes wonder if such experiences are sometimes misinterpreted and people are fearful because the experience is something they don't understand and they weren't ready for.

iadnon
26th July 2011, 09:41 AM
Beekeeper, I've been searching for the mentioned thread, but in vain. Now I'm asking myself if it was posted in another forum (astral society, astralpulse... or so).

Anyway I can remember clearly that the author of the post related the technique opened a channel to lower forces. He also mentioned possession (who knows...). It is curious that other guy said nearly the same about the microcosmic orbit exercise, and that he had to take pills to reequilibrate himself... (I've never had any problems with that technique).

I agree with you that many people just don't interpret correctly what's going on around their procedures. It is also true all warnings should be taken gratefully, just in case.

To be sincere, the classical approach to energyzing the chakras is really effective, not to say sufficient. Other authors talk about the "upper" chakras (above sahasrara) and other energy constructs, and they also give other techniques (and visualizations) to activate them.

In my humble opinion I would stick to the basic techniques in order to get to the astral, and once you've developed some seeing capabilities it would be easier to check what it's going on in the etheric while applying other exercises. That is something Dion Fortune stated in one of her books (don't remember by heart which book), and I can not but agree with her.

In any case, Volgerle, it would be so interesting to know about your experience with those mudras exercises, so keep us informed ;-)

Beekeeper
26th July 2011, 10:19 AM
Yeah, I get where you're coming from and I'm happy personally with NEW and yoga. I know exactly how to trigger a bunch of psychic experiences (as an inadvertent outcome of my training as a yoga teacher a couple of years back) and I've even toyed with the idea of reinstating those practices (as if I actually had the time:rolleyes: ) but, when it comes down to it, I'm happy with my current level of normality and sense that things are largely in my control.

CFTraveler
26th July 2011, 06:17 PM
I remember the original article, because I read it at the time too, and had seen the original Crowley drawing.
The deal is that the mantra that is used to open the root chakra in that particular article happens to be the same word that is the name of a Demon that Alistair Crowley used to invoke or evoke, and the trick was to look at his picture (not recommended) and say his name out loud. So you see why this would cause some people to pause. I won't do it or use any mantra that uses the th sound. There was something with that too, I just don't remember the details.
I personally wouldn't say it simply because I have that association in my head, and I am not even sure if in the original Hindu way these are actually genuine Sanskrit words that are used, or have been adapted from some other traditions.
So, I'm glad you remembered, because the warning is out, proceed at your own risk.

Sinera
26th July 2011, 07:55 PM
I won't do it or use any mantra that uses the th sound.
I don't get it, sorry. In this webpage (as on several others) I linked there is no th-sound. I even think these are the usual Yoga-chants?
It's LAM, VAM, RAM, YAM, HAM, OM/AUM and NG (in ascending order per chakra). Are they really wrong, dangerous, or is it the mudras in combination with it? But aren't they yogic, either?

(Sorry, but you see I've got no clue about these things, and too lazy to google for info now, although I had joined a yoga class 2 years ago, but I admit it was only for a few times :oops: ).

CFTraveler
26th July 2011, 08:08 PM
No, like I said, it was in the original (now apparently lost) article iadnon mentioned, in which the subject of the demon Lam is talked about, and some chants were also included using the th insted of the usual 'm' sound that is typical of the Yogic tradition.
Like I said, I also read the original article, so I remember what it was about, and am sharing what I remember about it.

Sinera
26th July 2011, 08:17 PM
ok thanks for clarifying this, what if I just do the usual OM (or just O) for all of them and concentrate on the chakras while Om-ing, plus the mudras (or better without?) any dangers conceivable?

CFTraveler
26th July 2011, 09:15 PM
Frankly, I think the danger is in my head, but sure.

Beekeeper
27th July 2011, 08:54 AM
(Sorry, but you see I've got no clue about these things, and too lazy to google for info now, although I had joined a yoga class 2 years ago, but I admit it was only for a few times :oops: ).

Chances are your yoga teacher wouldn't know unless they came from India anyway. If I'd known Crowley was associated with it, I wouldn't have commented.

Sinera
27th July 2011, 11:44 AM
Chances are your yoga teacher wouldn't know unless they came from India anyway. If I'd known Crowley was associated with it, I wouldn't have commented.

oh no, these were just Western people (and even changing teachers), but we only used OM sounds and a chant like 'shanti.. (anything)' in which I did not join as they already were too much attached to religious rituals for me.

moreover, focus was more on the bodily exercise with some breathing exercises combined, rather than on long meditation (as said ... Westernized...)

so, still no definite answer .... is Lam, Ram, Vam with chakras/mudras ... WRONG? (please see website again)

and what if this Crowley guy just 'adopted' these chants, methods which have been there before in yoga teachings since eons? A lot of this stuff could just be / have been misused ...:shock::confused:
(thinking of Bono now: "This is a song Charles Manson stole from The Beatles. We're stealin' it back." when playing Helter Skelter live in 1987 on their US tour)

Beekeeper
27th July 2011, 12:09 PM
and what if this Crowley guy just 'adopted' these chants, methods which have been there before in yoga teachings since eons? A lot of this stuff could just be / have been misused ...:shock::confused:

I'm guessing there's a good chance here.

iadnon
27th July 2011, 01:27 PM
It is nearly impossible to say what is best for you (chants, symbols...). For good or bad you are constructed in a unique way, as the rest of us are. I've tried many techniques to achieve different things. My experimentation's breakthrough happened when I started to experiment on my own in a playful way. So to say, I loosened the straps of other authors' teachings because they didn't fit me.

Nowadays I bet for eclecticism... a delicate selection of different things that work for each one of us. Rituals? No, thanks. Chanting? Not now. Mental work? Absolutely. Meditation and anthropomorphizing approaches? A must!

By the way... Plato talked with a daemon... I think Descartes also had some sort of little subtle being... Maybe they're not that bad those so called demons... I wouldn't deal with them, just in case. I've got enough bearing with my family... haha.

CFTraveler
27th July 2011, 04:35 PM
A few comments:
First of all, Crowley was a great magician, who took what he learned from a variety of sources and became very successful, at least at the time- he wrote many books on the interpretation of older works, and created a system that at least in the beginning, worked for him. But (and it's a big one) as time passed it is said he lost his mind, became more and more depraved, and the end was not good for him.
Now, the demon we are talking about here is the post-medieval version of a demon, and it was a specific entity whose name I've already posted (and I won't repeat it). This is searchable, although I read about it years ago before I even had internet (which is probably why I remember it, internet ADD hadn't struck yet, lol) so if you want to understand why I wouldn't chant it, maybe you need to look it up. Like iadnon said, what's right for you may not be right for me, and most of the time I'd rather be safe than sorry.
As to Plato and Descartes, I have to clarify that the original ancient Greek idea of a daimon (notice I spelled it different) just means subconscious- the daimon is the 'genie', the subconscious that has access to information the conscious mind doesn't- which we access by going into trance, and usually is objectified enough to think of as 'another'.
So in essence, much of what we do here is accessing our inner daimon, and tapping into it's information-
But what Crowley did was far different, and eventually, if you read the history, went south.
That's why I would hesitate before chanting anything that Crowley did to invoke a demon. But, as I said before, that's just me.
And now I'm done with this theme, because everything I said can be looked up, and everyone needs to make their own decisions.

Sinera
27th July 2011, 07:04 PM
Okay, I'll stick to the (hopefully) harmless Om then. :|

blis
27th July 2011, 08:43 PM
Theres nothing wrong with chanting those words. The excersises appear in several books I have by the Bahar School of Yoga.

If the word itself had such power then shepherds everywhere would be summoning demons every time they said lamb.

Having said that though, now that you've read all these posts you probably wouldnt be able to say it without thinking of crowley's demon. That very well could summon it.

I'm just glad I dont eat lamb lol

CFTraveler
27th July 2011, 10:00 PM
I'm just glad I dont eat lamb lol You just made me laugh, blis. I hadn't even thought of lamb. Luckily, I don't like it either. :lol2:

psionickx
27th July 2011, 11:07 PM
So in essence, much of what we do here is accessing our inner daimon, and tapping into it's information.
-very well said.

to add to this threads aspect of 'Danger Vs. Sensibility' ; what the original poster is talking about are the Bija Mantras -in absolute layman simplicity (and as such only) , i doubt this "practice" would be of little use except building up the vocal chords for a good chant based routine (too noisy ,too cumbersome for my taste sorry) - but hey if it appeals to you , the universe might just reward your belief with an expected outcome.

Given the fact that my routine has consisted at one point or the other with amalgams of mudras ,chants, aasans and whatnot i will add the pointers as follows :

*Bija mantras are a part of a diverse system of practice and as such represent only one singular facet.
*Mudra isnt a singular gestural sign with energetic circuitory - mudras toward a specific end can be as rapid in progression as to 20/minute wherein sometimes the length of holding one mudra can be different from others within the same sequence
*Chakric colors for "awakening" and "activation" are usually "base plate" they are visual cues to tune into the frequency of one singular energetic construct or locale and such represent a "doorway frequency" as opposed to entrance entirely.If your'e giving directions you could say "look for the red house on the lane" - that doesnt mean the red-house has its gate wide open to meet your eager arrival.
*Mandala Construction - once the student shows effiency in mantra/mudra/aasna he/she is further instructed to combine all these continue forward towards the dynamics of a mandala -specially when the conciousness is ready to disrobe and awaits a divine merger (that's a task for the good ole Swaami Jee i'm happy to say :lol2: )

...personally however i think mantras are very over-hyped (since im more of a visual person i like working with yantras anyway).

Sinera
29th July 2011, 10:06 AM
...personally however i think mantras are very over-hyped (since im more of a visual person i like working with yantras anyway).
Wow, yeah, looking at them and trying to concentrate then really makes me go ... :wacky1::wacky1::wacky1:

http://www.google.com/search?q=yantras&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=Xsk&rls=org.mozilla:de:official&prmd=ivnsb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=nYUyTo21I83TsgaggJXpBg&ved=0CDAQsAQ&biw=1063&bih=671

Isn't the famous 'Flower Of Life' a yantra, too?

darron
5th August 2011, 04:34 AM
i like some mantras like om, om mani padme hum, i like them maybe not for all the hype, but because i find them enjoyable, and i can get the energy body buzzing good. never heard of yantras though so thank you psionickx.

del Dardano Turann
30th August 2011, 02:08 AM
My personal opinion on this is that the form is secondary to the intentionality as that is what it is meant to focus (explicitily stated actions like a Black Mass obviously are a seperate category). If, in your mind, the mantra has been corrupted by an association with Crowley then don't use it. You might only be supplying an undercurrent of Qi to charge that associaiton within your mind and around you. Perhaps you should experiment with just the hand mudra in concord with some other form of meditation and see if you feel any development.