PDA

View Full Version : Beginner's questions

atanas
2nd August 2011, 11:15 AM
Yesterday I began listening to the hemi-sync presets. I have some general questions that I guess most starters have so I hope this topic would be useful for more people. Sincere apologies if the same questions are already present in the forum and for being lazy not digging through old posts.

1. Can I convert the CDs to mp3 and use an mp3 player?
2. What should be the volume level?
3. Can I listen to the presets before I go to sleep?
4. What should I focus on while I'm listening? Should I focus on
- the sound?
- breath?
- my thoughts?
- anything at all?
5. Should I try to fall asleep but yet to remain aware?
6. Should I attempt an exit technique?

Thanks!
Atanas

CFTraveler
2nd August 2011, 02:13 PM
Hello, Atanas.

Yesterday I began listening to the hemi-sync presets. I have some general questions that I guess most starters have so I hope this topic would be useful for more people. Sincere apologies if the same questions are already present in the forum and for being lazy not digging through old posts.

1. Can I convert the CDs to mp3 and use an mp3 player? You can upload them but don't compress them. You want them to remain binaural, and correction of 'noise' can undo the effect.

2. What should be the volume level? Not too loud, loud enough for you to hear it. Whatever is comfortable.

3. Can I listen to the presets before I go to sleep? Yes.

4. What should I focus on while I'm listening? Should I focus on
- the sound? Either on the blackness in front of your eyes, or on the exercise you are performing. You don't have to 'listen' to them actively, just hear them. However, if it has a voice telling you what to do, you have to listen to it.

- breath? Can be used as a focusing exercise, it's up to you.

- my thoughts? At first it's ok. If you've been at it for a half hour, try to quiet your mind.

- anything at all? Not necessarily. Whatever your preference is.

5. Should I try to fall asleep but yet to remain aware? Falling asleep is defeating the purpose. The whole purpose of hemi sync (and trance work in general) is to remain aware while your body falls asleep- to teach you how trance and MABA feels like so that you can eventually learn to induce it on your own.

6. Should I attempt an exit technique? Only if you feel exit sensations.

Thanks! You're welcome.

atanas
2nd August 2011, 03:43 PM
CFT,
Thank you for the quick response.

What do you mean by not to compress them? I use one of the many tools out there to convert the .wav into .mp3. I choose the best possible quality and 256kbps bit rate. Is the .mp3 a compressed format in general or there should be an option to enable/disable compression?

Regards,
Atanas

CFTraveler
2nd August 2011, 03:50 PM
Some equipment does indeed let you choose whether to compress or not, but 'best quality' usually removes the 'noise' that you want in the signal (you want the frequency difference of the two channels, this is what is going to make it binaural) so probably if you do it without 'noise reduction' features you'll be ok.
mp3 is a compressed format in general, but many people I know upload to their ipods and have no problem.

Magus
29th November 2011, 04:54 AM
From The Monroe Institute Faq:

"Q: Can I put the CD programs on my iPod or other MP3 portable players?
A: Absolutely! These applications have been tested in the Bob Monroe Research Lab to make sure the special audio signals remain consistent when compressed. Be sure to use "Apple Lossless" conversion from CDs for your iPod/iPad. To make sure that you are using the Apple Lossless conversion from a CD, simply open iTunes, click on "iTunes" on a Mac or "Edit" on a PC in the top left menu options, then click on "Preferences". From this screen click on "Import Settings" and under the "Import Using" menu at the top of the list, choose "Apple Lossless Encoder".

For conversion from a CD to an MP3 player, be sure the compression rate is 160 or 192 or above for best results. You don't need to import in the ".wav" format into your iPod/iPad or MP3 player. You are all set after that and free to enjoy the audio programs anywhere, just not when driving.

The MP3 recordings for sale in our bookstore use a high compression rate (320) to optimize the quality and provide the best fidelity of the recordings. And if you just have to have the absolute best, FLAC is the way to go."

To atenas 5th question about falling asleep. On the monroe institute site:
http://www.monroeinstitute.org/gateway_voyage/gateway-voyage-introductory-exercise/

In the section on how to listen, it reads that it is not important to stay awake and that the exercise will be equally effective If you fall asleep. My guess is because the instructions are given to your subconsciouss. Might also be that this goes for this audio file only and not all hemi-sync products. Tried to look up in the manual, but couldnt find anything there. Just wanted to put this info out here hoping im not stepping on someones toes ;)

CFTraveler
29th November 2011, 02:59 PM
The more info the better, Magus. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

johnnytheswede
10th December 2011, 09:36 PM
I just recently found out that compression also applies to Mini-Discs, if someone is still using them, like me, compression introduces an irritating noise which went away after I rerecorded output from BrainWave Generator with compression set to None.

SiriusTraveler
11th December 2011, 01:10 PM
I always play my audio directly from CD via laptop computer or via stereoreciever, both with headphones without noicereducing tech. Seems to work for me.

Legion
19th January 2012, 06:47 AM
Hi just a quick question, I searched this forum but the link to my answer gave me a 404 error.

I have just gotten Wave 1, and would like some advice on how long I should spend on each session before moving to the next. Any advice would be appriciated.

SiriusTraveler
19th January 2012, 07:30 AM
Hi just a quick question, I searched this forum but the link to my answer gave me a 404 error.

I have just gotten Wave 1, and would like some advice on how long I should spend on each session before moving to the next. Any advice would be appriciated.

I'd like to say that I spend as much time as I want on each track when I listen to hemi-syncs. I also re-listen to tracks because I get a good feeling for it and want to give it another go. In the end I don't think there's any direct path you have to take but instead just go slowly forward and rewind ocasionally.

CFTraveler
19th January 2012, 03:12 PM

I have just gotten Wave 1, and would like some advice on how long I should spend on each session before moving to the next. Any advice would be appriciated. Can you show me where the link is to see if I can fix it?
I know new members are not allowed to post links to outside sites, but if you're linking within the forum it's ok.

Legion
24th January 2012, 10:00 AM
The link was in the thread - "a little help" - which linked to another forum post that isnt there any longer.

http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/showthread.php?5168-A-little-help

CFTraveler
24th January 2012, 02:59 PM
I need to spend more time looking for these (Oliver posted them originally, so maybe he can find them again, if they exist anymore) but it's likely that you'll find the answer in this post. It's long, but chock-full of information.
http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/showthread.php?5417-Something-about-Focus-levels&highlight=gateway+voyage

H (http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/showthread.php?5417-Something-about-Focus-levels&highlight=gateway+voyage)ere is the copy of the manual itself:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/7330506/Complete-Hemi-Sync-Gateway-Experience-Manual