PDA

View Full Version : Source for the 'akashic records'

sleeper
5th September 2011, 04:54 PM
Peeps,

is A. bailey the original source for the words: "the akashic records?"

i know that E. Cacey referred to them as the 'hall of records,' which he dubiously said was under the feet of the sphinx. obviously they are two distinct things.

i'm wondering whether there is any older, more interesting sources for this notion of akashic records such as in sanscrit or ethiopian or egyptian texts etc.

whaddya thank?

~dale

Sinera
5th September 2011, 05:13 PM
Isn't the HoR more a physical library hall , supposedly buried (under the Sphinx or elsewhere)?

AR for me is purely non-physical databases (e.g. retrieved for one's own life review during NDEs - and later for more detailed analysis).

CFTraveler
5th September 2011, 07:37 PM
I took a look, and Wiki says that the Theosophists coined the name (mentions Leadbeater, not Bailey, but who knows) but that the concept was already there and was "derived from Hindu philosophy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindu_philosophy) of Samkhya (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samkhya)." (Preexistence).

sleeper
6th September 2011, 03:42 AM
spiritual people drop the term so often that it seemed to me that there must have been a number of prolific authors writing about it in great detail, and more. but there is in fact little mention of it, and i just want to know more about other people and what they say and experience. that's all - unlike usual, i'm not looking to challenge anyone. i'm genuinely and exclusively curious.

so thanks for the replies!

Korpo
6th September 2011, 09:40 PM
The theosophists might have been interested in the idea of akasha because as a non-physical matter or medium it would have nicely matched up with the physics of their time - at least before nuclear physics was discovered. The main contender with the the idea of atoms and particles as the basic building blocks of matter (or the later idea that even energy consisted of tiny, discrete bits - quanta) was the idea of ether. Ether was considered continuous and infinitely divisible, and so the theosophists might have looked in their research for a similar term - their main source were Hindu and some Buddhist scriptures.

So far every description of Akasha I've read seemed to refer to it as a medium very much like ether, but nonphysical, that contains within it the historic information of the Universe. More modern descriptions tend more towards the holographic idea, maybe.

sleeper
7th September 2011, 02:35 AM
hmm...