PDA

View Full Version : The Solar Plexus- Controversy?

CFTraveler
11th September 2011, 06:07 PM
Well, it's not really controversial, and I'm sure a lot of learned folks have an explanation for this (I actually found a possible explanation for it, but there wouldn't be a reason to write this post, and I wanted to ask the more experienced or learned mystics in the forum about this.

Ever since I was young and took martial arts (and biology, and later physiology, etc.) I was taught that the solar plexus is about a few inches south of your chest- from that point where the ribs get together (the sternum), or two inches below (more or less) to just above the navel- a triangular spot in your upper belly.
I have always known this to be the Solar plexus.

So I was surprised to read (in a book about pathworking from a well-known author who will remain nameless) that he described the Solar Plexus as the 'point of balance of the body', around or a little bit above the hips. This to me sounded like the Hara, or Earth Stone- so I figured that this author was confused, the publisher was confused, someone was confused) and ignored that detail and concentrated on other parts of the book.

Until yesterday, when I read yet another book that described the Solar Plexus as 'the center of the body, just a little above the hips'- an almost identical description of the first instance that I read this other location for the solar plexus. Both authors are of the Western tradition, one a Gurdijeff graduate,
I searched the internet for instances in which this other location is indicated as the Solar Plexus, and found:
Biological Solar plexus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celiac_plexus)
Solar plexus chakra (http://www.chakra-colors.com/Solar-Plexus-Chakra/) As a standard
And,
Solar plexus as the hara http://1stholistic.com/meditation/hol_meditation_tao-of-breathing.htm
Hara as containing the solar plexus chakra http://reikihelp.com/blog/2010/06/hara/

So my question is, is this a cultural thing? What is the criteria in which the Solar Plexus is considered to be in the Hara or in the south part of the Hara?

Does anyone here have an alternate or clear reason why there are two reported places where the Solar Plexus is supposed to be?
I'm really curious about this.

newfreedom
11th September 2011, 07:39 PM
This is a very interesting topic, thanks for bringing it up

Just a quick reply, i haven't really looked into all the links you gave yet

I always believed that the solar plexus was higher up, just under the ribs too, but interestingly i don't actually feel an energy center in that position for myself. I have the sacral chakra, then i have a large chakra / or energy center in my stomach, my belly-button being more or less the center place of this chakra. After this i have my heart chakra, but never feel, or have ever felt an energy center or energy in the traditional solar plexus place, just under the ribs.

I am not clairvoyant, so cannot see my charkras (only occasionally have i seen energy vortexing in a chakra like fashion into my body) so i am talking about my experience with energy sensation/s here.

Interesting though....

CFTraveler
11th September 2011, 08:47 PM
When I get very angry or unpleasantly surprised I do feel it in the 'traditional' solar plexus chakra- as if someone had punched me there. I'm not clairvoyant either, but I feel power (or rather when my power is challenged) there.

sleeper
12th September 2011, 03:26 AM
hmm this is interesting.

i'm going to follow this thread with great anticipation!

newfreedom
12th September 2011, 06:47 AM
Ah, so for you CFT, there is a energy center just under your rib cage, interesting....

I wonder why i don't feel anything in that spot then.... hmmm....

When i get heart chakra energy stuff, it is a very wide circle of energy, so i guess, it could be incorporating this energy center aswell then. I do often times get an inner tremble / vibration, so i supose, i couldn't rule out that it may be from or with this energy center also.

But i am definately not aware of this energy center in and of it's own right....

Me too, Sleeper, fun eh.....? :-)

Aunt Clair
18th October 2011, 01:53 PM
http://lilliesloves.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/solar-plexus.gif
http://lilliesloves.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/solar-plexus.gif
hee hee
The Solar Plexus is a fire energy centre. The orange and yellow chakras are both fire energy centres perhaps that is why there is confusion and some feel that the location of the solar plexus is at the hips near the orange chakra or nearer to the heart and the yellow chakra. The energy storage centre of the chest is the spheroid energy centre around the yellow and green chakras, called the SunStone. The core of this is halfway between those chakras at the heart of the physical body.

Dictionary;
http://www.merriam-webster.com/medical/solar%20plexus
Medical Definition;

The celiac plexus or coeliac plexus, also known as the solar plexus, is a complex network of nerves (a plexus) located in the abdomen, where the celiac trunk, superior mesenteric artery, and renal arteries branch from the abdominal aorta. It is behind the stomach and the omental bursa, and in front of the crura of the diaphragm, on the level of the first lumbar vertebra, L1.The plexus is formed (in part) by the greater and lesser splanchnic nerves of both sides, and also parts of the right vagus nerve.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celiac_plexus

This chakra is often confused with the navel chakra, and most writers refer to only a single chakra, located either at the navel or the solar plexus. However, these two centres are quite distinct

The Solar Plexus Chakra is located midway between the navel and the base of the sternum. It supports the spleen, pancreas, stomach, and liver [Chia, p.243]. Each of these vital organs in addition is associated with its own chakra, just as the heart, lungs, and kidneys are.

The Solar Plexus Centre is one of the main power chakras of the individual. It is associated with the functioning of the aura or psychic energy field, and with Etheric and Astral plane sensitivity [Chia, pp.245-6]. Through this centre, which seems to correspond in part to the "Spleen Centre" of Theosophy, the various spiritual energies enter for distribution to various parts of the body [Leadbeater; Paulson, p.84]. The Solar Plexus Chakra is also the centre of etheric-psychic intuition: a vague or non-specific, sensual sense of knowing; a vague sense of size, shape, and intent of being [Brennan, p.173]

This chakra is sometimes described as yellow in colour, although it would be more accurate to consider it as orange or yellow-orange. In the traditional "rainbow chakra" theory, the Solar Plexus chakra is generally described as yellow in colour. Because yellow is also the colour of the Lower Mental Body and the Higher Spiritual Intuition, some writers refer to this as a "mental chakra" or associate it with rational-intellectual faculties. This is quite incorrect. The Solar Plexus Chakra - like the Heart Chakra above it and the Navel Chakra below it - is a purely Emotional Centre.
http://www.kheper.net/topics/chakras/Solar_Plexus.htm

Because of the confusion bringing metaphysical terms from the Sanskrit and Chinese et cetera Robert Bruce has used his own english nomenclature. Considering the confusion of the placement of a solar plexus, one can understand why an author would do that.

English name : Solar Plexus Chakra, also called the third chakra
Sanskrit name : Manipura
Color : Yellow
Element : Fire
Directly affects : Mental body
Core functions : Transforming energy into matter, matter into energy, ideas into reality, finding purpose, self esteem, self identity, relationship with people
Challenges when solar plexus chakra is not open or in balance :
Basically there are two types of chakra imbalances :
1. Spins fast, in excess, congestion, no harmony
Aggressive, dictatorship, lots of fire energy, projecting superiority, overpowering, forceful, intrusive, quarrelsome, threatening, pushy, intense, goal-oriented, hard ball, power-loving, ambitious, rebellious, viciously competitive, ruthless, go-getter, hyped up, consistently active, chaotic, burnt out, exhausted, disconnected, angry, workaholic, fussy, lack of tolerance, fears intimacy.

2. Spins slow, deficiency, depletion, no harmony :
Weak intentions, fragile determination, negative internal dialogues, lack of confidence, inferiority complex, loss of self worth, shrinking courage, feeling inner void, weak inner strength, negative self image, disconnected from gut, loneliness, energy vampire, insecure, phobic.
Physical symptoms of solar plexus chakra imbalance :
Ulcers, diabetes, anorexia, bulimia, indigestion, insomnia, panic attacks, confusion, fatigue, Stress.

When the solar plexus chakra is balanced :
Healthy relationships, success in business and material world, vitality, self confidence, spontaneous, celebrates life.
Citation ;
http://www.chakramagic.com/personal-growth.jpg
http://www.chakramagic.com/solar_plexus.htm
http://www.towardsoneworld.eu/toowEHI1_SolarPlexus.php

CFTraveler
18th October 2011, 02:10 PM
The orange and yellow chakras are both fire energy centres perhaps that is why there is confusion and some feel that the location of the solar plexus is at the hips near the orange chakra or nearer to the heart and the yellow chakra. Finally!! Thank you Aunt Clair.

Who Took my Solar Plexus???? Hee hee- reminds me of the book "Who Moved My Cheese?"

kimberely
1st January 2012, 08:19 PM
When I get very angry or unpleasantly surprised I do feel it in the 'traditional' solar plexus chakra- as if someone had punched me there. I'm not clairvoyant either, but I feel power (or rather when my power is challenged) there.

Interesting thread, and FWIW -- I do as well (feel that reaction in that area)...

farewell2arms
1st January 2012, 08:39 PM
I'm currently working a lot with the solar plexus chakra, I've always considered it to be the third chakra. In other words, right below the rib cage at the center above the gut.

I think that it has to do with personal boundaries, and I find it is effective to keep myself centered in it in conversations, to build on personal power and freedom. The feeling of I am can be felt stronger and clearer which is a foundation for well-being.

I can recognize some of the symptoms you've described, aunt clair, especially those about spinning slow.

Sinera
1st January 2012, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by CFTraveler "When I get very angry or unpleasantly surprised I do feel it in the 'traditional' solar plexus chakra- as if someone had punched me there. I'm not clairvoyant either, but I feel power (or rather when my power is challenged) there."
Interesting thread, and FWIW -- I do as well (feel that reaction in that area)...
For me, anger manifests in the Throat chakra! I feel almost everything negative first there, and it's not just Anger, but also Sadness, Grief, Aesthetic Melancholy and Self-Pity ... up to complete Depression. :(

In my country, we also have the fitting idiom 'auf jemand einen dicken Hals haben', which means 'to be mad at / angry with s.o.' but it literally translates into English as 'to have a thick throat (or neck) towards / at someone'. For me this describes it perfectly. Btw, it is also used without the adjective dicken (thick), but with the same meaning.

Archimedes
4th April 2012, 11:30 PM
Ah, so for you CFT, there is a energy center just under your rib cage, interesting....

I wonder why i don't feel anything in that spot then.... hmmm....

When i get heart chakra energy stuff, it is a very wide circle of energy, so i guess, it could be incorporating this energy center aswell then. I do often times get an inner tremble / vibration, so i supose, i couldn't rule out that it may be from or with this energy center also.

But i am definately not aware of this energy center in and of it's own right....

Me too, Sleeper, fun eh.....? :-)

I agree you could be incorporating other energy structures. I have a recommendation for you. Do and entire meditation (30-45minutes) on just a chakra giving you trouble, like the heart.

Archimedes
4th April 2012, 11:42 PM
Well, it's not really controversial, and I'm sure a lot of learned folks have an explanation for this (I actually found a possible explanation for it, but there wouldn't be a reason to write this post, and I wanted to ask the more experienced or learned mystics in the forum about this.

Ever since I was young and took martial arts (and biology, and later physiology, etc.) I was taught that the solar plexus is about a few inches south of your chest- from that point where the ribs get together (the sternum), or two inches below (more or less) to just above the navel- a triangular spot in your upper belly.
I have always known this to be the Solar plexus.

So I was surprised to read (in a book about pathworking from a well-known author who will remain nameless) that he described the Solar Plexus as the 'point of balance of the body', around or a little bit above the hips. This to me sounded like the Hara, or Earth Stone- so I figured that this author was confused, the publisher was confused, someone was confused) and ignored that detail and concentrated on other parts of the book.

Until yesterday, when I read yet another book that described the Solar Plexus as 'the center of the body, just a little above the hips'- an almost identical description of the first instance that I read this other location for the solar plexus. Both authors are of the Western tradition, one a Gurdijeff graduate,
I searched the internet for instances in which this other location is indicated as the Solar Plexus, and found:
Biological Solar plexus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celiac_plexus)
Solar plexus chakra (http://www.chakra-colors.com/Solar-Plexus-Chakra/) As a standard
And,
Solar plexus as the hara http://1stholistic.com/meditation/hol_meditation_tao-of-breathing.htm
Hara as containing the solar plexus chakra http://reikihelp.com/blog/2010/06/hara/

So my question is, is this a cultural thing? What is the criteria in which the Solar Plexus is considered to be in the Hara or in the south part of the Hara?

Does anyone here have an alternate or clear reason why there are two reported places where the Solar Plexus is supposed to be?
I'm really curious about this.

Hello Friend,

The Hara in my opinion is what Robert Bruce refers to as the sub-navel storage center. As he mentions this storage center (of the 3main) is the most important. This is where we raise and store energy. In lots of paths you are told not to store energy but it seems that storing energy in your hara or sub-navel storage center is very good and does not affect your aura. I'm glad you posted this info.

Here is another controversy (not really)

Where is you base, root, sacral charka? I once again like Roberts dissection of the issue, which is that we have 5 in the area. 1 in each hip joint, 1 in the perineum, 1 in the sacral and 1 in the sexual organ area. I find it amusing that depending on what path you are looking into, researching or following, most of the time only one of these is referred to as the lowest....main chakra.

Archimedes
4th April 2012, 11:51 PM
For me, anger manifests in the Throat chakra! I feel almost everything negative first there, and it's not just Anger, but also Sadness, Grief, Aesthetic Melancholy and Self-Pity ... up to complete Depression. :(

In my country, we also have the fitting idiom 'auf jemand einen dicken Hals haben', which means 'to be mad at / angry with s.o.' but it literally translates into English as 'to have a thick throat (or neck) towards / at someone'. For me this describes it perfectly. Btw, it is also used without the adjective dicken (thick), but with the same meaning.

This is an interesting statement, I have a kind of opposite effect on my throat chakra. In the shamanic tradition, this may indicated throat chakra trauma. One needs to be careful to work slowly on this area as lots of people have this. This trauma usually has to do with karmic traces left behind in your past both in your current life as well as for previous lives that you have lived. In my case if something is affecting my throat chakra a feel a very uncomfortable choking sensation. Sometimes I swallow constantly.

Archimedes
4th April 2012, 11:52 PM
Great topic here

: )

newfreedom
5th April 2012, 12:38 AM
I agree you could be incorporating other energy structures. I have a recommendation for you. Do and entire meditation (30-45minutes) on just a chakra giving you trouble, like the heart.

Thanks for the interesting recommendation Archimedes.

My heart chakra isn't giving me trouble any more, in 2006 to 2008 i went through some very scary intense phases with my heart chakra, but since then, i just feel my heart chakra being busy, which usually means my spirit teams are working on something for me.

I actually enjoy the feeling of energy when my chakras get activated these days, as it makes me feel the connection and closeness to spirit and my spirit teams.

It was not always so, in the past chakra activation, particularly my heart and head chakra would bring forward fear and terror and these were difficult to experience and release, which often caused fear and terror towards the fear and terror release feelings.

It seems unlikely at the moment that i will manage to do a chakra meditation for my heart chakra, but i have that idea with me now, so may be able to make use of it in future times

Sinera
14th April 2012, 09:54 AM
This is an interesting statement, I have a kind of opposite effect on my throat chakra. In the shamanic tradition, this may indicated throat chakra trauma. One needs to be careful to work slowly on this area as lots of people have this. This trauma usually has to do with karmic traces left behind in your past both in your current life as well as for previous lives that you have lived. In my case if something is affecting my throat chakra a feel a very uncomfortable choking sensation. Sometimes I swallow constantly.
Hi Archimedes, what would be your way of dealing with / working on the throat chakra problems then? I did not find a lot on the internet on the phenomenon of 'throat chakra trauma' in shamanism. Do you have any links or and info on this, too? Many thanks and Cheers, V.

Archimedes
19th April 2012, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the interesting recommendation Archimedes.

My heart chakra isn't giving me trouble any more, in 2006 to 2008 i went through some very scary intense phases with my heart chakra, but since then, i just feel my heart chakra being busy, which usually means my spirit teams are working on something for me.

I actually enjoy the feeling of energy when my chakras get activated these days, as it makes me feel the connection and closeness to spirit and my spirit teams.

It was not always so, in the past chakra activation, particularly my heart and head chakra would bring forward fear and terror and these were difficult to experience and release, which often caused fear and terror towards the fear and terror release feelings.

It seems unlikely at the moment that i will manage to do a chakra meditation for my heart chakra, but i have that idea with me now, so may be able to make use of it in future times

Glad I could be of some assistance. I see you have been evolving spiritually for some time now, I can only imagine where I will be in 3-4 more years. I have been doing energy work for about 1.5 years. My first 10 months or so seemed slow, but now I hear and feel the energy inside me. It is wonderful.

Archimedes
19th April 2012, 12:32 PM
Hi Archimedes, what would be your way of dealing with / working on the throat chakra problems then? I did not find a lot on the internet on the phenomenon of 'throat chakra trauma' in shamanism. Do you have any links or and info on this, too? Many thanks and Cheers, V.

I may be able to find some infos for you a little later. You should dedicate some time to your throat chakra. Send energy to it for 20 minutes per day for a week. Throughout this process observe your interactions with people and your comfort levels. You may find yourself able to converse much more effectively. Remember each chakra has specific attributes attributed to it. I am still looking into these as I feel as though they are soooooooooooooooooo important to understanding yourself on a deep level.

newfreedom
29th April 2012, 03:12 PM
but now I hear and feel the energy inside me. It is wonderful. :-)

Yes, it certainly can be xX