PDA

View Full Version : New Life Supporting Planet?

CFTraveler
13th September 2011, 09:38 PM
My son came home today with the story that his science teacher told them that life was found on another planet- and it looked like insect life on a planet that is not in our zone. According to him, a probe brought back pictures of insect-like animals in this planet. Allegedly.
I looked in the web and all I could find is this
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/sep/13/super-earth-exoplanet-found-support-life

Which is not the same as what he was saying.
Has anyone heard of this, or is he messing with us?

sleeper
14th September 2011, 12:33 AM
we've only probed a few planets.

no uranus jokes!

here's a short list:
we've orbited mercury.
landed on venus (Venera 7 in 1970)
landed on mars (Sojourner rover in 1997)
titan (moon of saturn) (Huygens the atmospheric probe landed in 2005)
Jupiter: flyby/orbit
Saturn: flyby/orbit
Neptune: flyby
Pluto: flyby

here's a link to a longer list, including asteroids, etc.:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Solar_System_probes#Mercury_probes

~dale

CFTraveler
14th September 2011, 02:13 AM
I interrogated him again, and he told me that this teacher had "connections" to certain organizations and had shown them pictures. He is adamant about it. I asked him to ask her to send me a link or source, because I don't believe him. He doesn't lie but sometimes misunderstands- could have been a "what if" scenario and he took it for a fact.

lamommy78
14th September 2011, 02:15 AM
I have not heard about it. It reminds me of an obe I had where I traveled to another planet and saw insect-like inhabitants. I posted about it, but it got lost in the board change.

It wouldn't surprise me if something like that was discovered.

newfreedom
14th September 2011, 03:50 AM
we've only probed a few planets.

no uranus jokes!

Hahahaha, i'm sooo glad you put that joke in, i have such issues with that word 'Probe', it just really 'goes straight through me'.... haha..horrid !

Insects, hmmmmm, one would hope it's not true, are we really ready to meet alien lifeforms yet, we have no 'respect' for our own planets insects, (i know some of us do) never mind being let loose on another planets insect lifeforms.

Though i guess, eventually it will happen and they will be found, just hope we are advanced enough by then to show and share enough care, honour and respect, that's all......here's hopin..X

Tutor
14th September 2011, 03:52 PM
perhaps the hardest thing to explain to our children is that their adult teachers are people too, apt to teach from erroneous notions/beliefs. this is hard because it tears away at ourselves as the adult parent, the first teachers of our children. what will our children then think of our eroneous beliefs as well? gosh darn, our destiny is the gereration gap. noooooooooo!

eyeoneblack
14th September 2011, 04:33 PM
perhaps the hardest thing to explain to our children is that their adult teachers are people too, apt to teach from erroneous notions/beliefs. this is hard because it tears away at ourselves as the adult parent, the first teachers of our children. what will our children then think of our eroneous beliefs as well? gosh darn, our destiny is the gereration gap. noooooooooo!

Hi, Tutor :)

When my daughter was in grade school she brought home the message from her teacher that people should not eat fat in their diet - period. I countered emphatically that Mrs. so-and-so was instilling a very general caveat, but, that in fact a diet high in fat does not absolutely result in high cholesterol.

I made this statement on the basis of my own experience (I have all my life eaten a diet of meat, eggs and dairy and my cholesterol level has never been an issue), but also based on information I gleaned from a science magazine which described the normal and natural export of cholesterol from the cell. For people in which 'dumping' mechanism is at work, cholesterol should never be a problem.

But the point I wanted to make about the fallable parent and child relationship is that the parent neednt' be RIGHT, nor must the teacher. I have tried to raise "Lucy" to think for herself - to never take anybody's word as absolute. Not even mine. We must decide our own truths and it's never to early to begin a healthy sceptisim.

Hope all is well....

Richard

CFTraveler
14th September 2011, 05:08 PM
But the point I wanted to make about the fallable parent and child relationship is that the parent neednt' be RIGHT, nor must the teacher. I have tried to raise "Lucy" to think for herself - to never take anybody's word as absolute. Not even mine. We must decide our own truths and it's never to early to begin a healthy sceptisim. Absolutely.

Tutor
15th September 2011, 04:50 PM
Hi Richard,

i understand, and all is presently well with me. it is that thus far, i've survived 20 years of doubt and scepticism, stubbornly resistant and slow to come about. i don't take mine as absolute, i never have, nor any other man's for that matter. if that were me now, or had been me, then i wouldnt have come the way in which i have, and still yet do walk - within first.

i offer this: Matthew 23:8-10

Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder, yet it is that i am held, as are we all, regardless of our outsight from insight. one might say that they've allowed their child to think for his/her own self, yet what parent hasn't held the hand of that child when crossing every street. therefore, in a certain security is the child's thoughts free to construct. so friend, where the parent has allowed has been contigent to the parent's love securing. that love overall as that which gave freedom of thought the power to be. that love from the parents thoughtful constructiveness, even if not given to the child as guiding thoughts transmitted toward conformity. beyond conforming thoughts shared is the greater example simply set forth by the parental behaviorisms, which without conscious checking means, do reveal whom has held the child's hand afterall. thus following, hand in hand, is revealed the means to the unavoidable end (false or true). one may put on, but if this is not within first to from secondarily take off from without, whom then is not entrapped in their own imperfections outset as the field of the child's maturing?

eyeoneblack
15th September 2011, 05:51 PM
whom then is not entrapped in their own imperfections outset as the field of the child's maturing?

I see what you mean, Tim. The child is necessarily constrained to a degree by the parent's influence. The important thing is, when does the parent stop micro-managing the child's life?

When Lucy was in second grade (?), driving to school one morning I announced to her that I could no longer spank her. (I have more fingers than the number of times I ever spanked her). She had gotten too big for that and that a spanking now would amount to an act of violence, rather than just a quick change of attitude.

I explained from now on her punishment would come from the world she lives in - the same way I'm punished. That if I drove down the street speeding I might get a traffic ticket - which is a spanking.

One thing I had going for me is that I've have been looking for the answers all my life and I never have claimed to have found them. For long at least. I never had any confidence that, if she would only listen to me, her life would be sweet.

I only hoped that when her life wasn't going so well, she wouldn't point her finger back at me. :eek:

There's no doubt that she was reared under my influence and I don't mean cop out. But to this day she comes to me for my thoughts on this or that situation. Then she decides for herself.

Anyway, I didn't mean to make it so personal. :redface:

Richard's the name, Free-thinkin's the game.

Tutor
15th September 2011, 07:05 PM
Richard,

yes, i see what you mean. to be honest Richard, i dont know how to respond other than saying that i respect your caring concern and appreciate you. Richard, sage advice indeed. i too cannot claim knowing anything. nor do i have the confidence, just as you've intimated. and God forbid, how do i avoid my child's pointing a finger back at me? please feel free to pm me anytime.

Tim

Beekeeper
16th September 2011, 09:07 AM
So, consider my quandary: parent and teacher!

My attitude is do the best with what you've got. Collectively we hopefully all move away from ignorance - hopefully. Sometimes my teachers got it wrong, the important thing is that more often they got it right. Where would I be without them? Not only did they transmit knowledge but the wisdom of their experiences and the warmth of their personalities.

I learn a lot from my students and children too and I tell them so. I enjoy the exchange. If I were too afraid of making mistakes and too arrogant to know that they have things to teach me, there'd be none of that.

eyeoneblack
16th September 2011, 08:34 PM
Thanks Tutor and Beek.

-asalantu-
8th November 2011, 09:02 PM
¡Hi, CFT!

I interrogated him again, and he told me that this teacher had "connections" to certain organizations and had shown them pictures. He is adamant about it. I asked him to ask her to send me a link or source, because I don't believe him. He doesn't lie but sometimes misunderstands- could have been a "what if" scenario and he took it for a fact.

May be (the teacher) saw some generically kown as Hypothetical Artistic View like those pictures Carl Sagan accustomed to include in his famous book "Cosmos".

For such a reason, he don't lied. Simply he hasn't the scientifical basic culture that could allow him to be able of to read and acquire info in a skeptic/serious viewpoint.

BTW, the fastest deep space probe, New Horizons mission, only reach Pluto planet (and beyond into Kuiper' belt) about year 2015. http://www.nasa.gov/newhorizons/

To talk about life in an exoplanet is close to SciFi. Only we can to speculate with it done remote sensing (through Hubble or Kepler [terrestrial planet finder] telescopes) of atmospheric conditions, orbit characteristics and type of star; and formulate predictions about compatible lifeforms with such exoplanet physical properties.

Carl Sagan do some like this when writing about hypothetical lifeforms at jovian atmosphere (look at Adolf Schaller pictures)

Some artists involved in development of such pictures:

Rick Sternbach (this frequently appears in credits of Star Trek series [TNG, DS9, VOY])
http://www.ricksternbach.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Sternbach
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Sternbach)
Adolf Schaller
http://neuronaviva.blogspot.com/2010/08/adolf-schaller-postales-de-otros-mundos.html
(http://neuronaviva.blogspot.com/2010/08/adolf-schaller-postales-de-otros-mundos.html)
Jon Lomberg
http://www.jonlomberg.com

(http://www.jonlomberg.com)Anyway, this artists perhaps play a fundamental role when convincing skeptic governmental agencies (at time of obtaining funds for research) is the headache for scientists.

My best regards,
Ángel