PDA

View Full Version : Spiritual movie suggestions

Dsmoke
20th April 2006, 10:37 AM
So I recently got a gift subscription to Netflix - yay! I'd love some spiritual movie suggestions.

Some movies along these lines I have already seen:
-What the Bleep
-Waking Life
-Jacob's Ladder
-What Dreams May Come
etc.

I also enjoy movies that stimulate the imaginination, like Mirrormask.

And of course, you can bet there will be an X-files marathon at some point ;)

faerylight
23rd April 2006, 08:26 AM
I don't know if you dig old movies, but Metropolis by Fritz Lang is pretty deep - the symbolism man, the symbolism, lol. This one is OLD - silent made in 1927. But, the artwork and scenery are amazing for that time. It's a futuristic sci-fi kind of thing, pretty deep stuff if you ask me. I believe it's based on an actual book, now I would love to check that out.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0017136/

Have you seen Spirited Away by Miyazaki? (much more recent, 2001 :) ) It's Anime and very cool. In fact, I have a few of his movies on disk and all are very spiritual and a pleasure to view-the artwork in his films is amazing.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0245429/

Another one I like by Miyazaki is Howl's Moving Castle. This one may have subtitles. There are versions of Spirited Away that are dubbed in English.

I think you'll like your subscription! My co-worker has a subscription and loves his. :)

sash
23rd April 2006, 11:48 AM
The interesting thing I noticed is that these "spiritual" movies that deal with the subject matter in a direct approach do not inspire people as much as movies driven with emotional substance and provoking meanings, such as The Matrix, The Thirteenth Floor, and such.

One such movie that has inspired me like this in recent is V for Vendetta, which deals with deep issues and not just the subject matter itself in an analytical sense.

I enjoyed the CG graphics in What Dreams May Come, but got little out of it besides that. What the Bleep was not bad.

Tempestinateapot
23rd April 2006, 05:44 PM
Old movie..."Altered States" - very OBE, a little bit of a horror film, but great ending, love is all that really matters.

Newer movie..."I (Heart the) Huckabees" There actually is a heart in the title. Hysterically funny, campy, with many not quite so hidden truths. Very existential underneath all the comedy.

"Contact"...Older movie that asks the question "Are we alone in the universe". Inspiring and not in the "War of the Worlds" scary, beat 'em up sci fi way. Inspiring as in inspirational.

gavi dvan
30th April 2006, 01:33 PM
Not really necessarily "spiritual" movies, but just some of my favourites, trippy or cool themes, or alternative theories to life, etc.

"Stir Of Echoes" - about hypnotism and ♥♥♥♥, pretty freaky alone at night.

"Dark City" - about memories and the like...I get the feeling the Matrix was very inspired by this flick.

"The Truman Show" - well, it's not really very supernatural or anything, but it gets you thinking... what if...

"Being John Malkovich" - I predict if you watch this with someone you will discuss it for at least half an hour afterwards.

"Fight Club" - Probably my favourite movie of all time, genius.

"Vanilla Sky" - A lot of reference to lucid dreaming, although in a kinda different context.