PDA

View Full Version : Brilliant Light

SoulSail
22nd October 2011, 12:09 AM
Hi All,

Tonight I was meditating as I often do. The family was out, the house was quiet for a change. I practice Vipassana and so had my eyes closed. About thirty to forty minutes in and fairly deep down (I had lost awareness of most of my body), I saw a brilliant copper light come up from below me, almost as if someone had put a search light on me and I was seeing this come through my closed eyelids. Startled, I opened my eyes to find my dimly lit room just as I had left it: one candle burning. Nothing unusual save my heart racing a bit.

It was, in a word, wonderful.

Thought I'd share and see if anyone else has had this happen. It's a first for me on the meditation front. I've had similar happen on OBE exit attempts, but never in ordinary meditation.

~Soul

CFTraveler
22nd October 2011, 12:23 AM
I have had this happen before, and after the first time it is not rare.

IA56
22nd October 2011, 09:27 AM
Yes I do have this all the time during meditation....and I have expereinced also with open eye´s so to speak and not meditating.
As I understand at least the total bright light is astral sight developing....as I have write when blinking with my eye´s at night going to bathroom and not litting any light´s....the flasch it gives is like when taking pic´s with a camera with the flasch light on...it is totally so bright nearly unbelieveble.

Korpo
23rd October 2011, 09:44 PM
Hello, SoulSail.

Same as CF - after it happens first, it happens more often.

Oliver

Tutor
25th October 2011, 03:48 AM
Hi All,

It was, in a word, wonderful.

~Soul

Hi Soul,

wonderful

Tim

-asalantu-
6th November 2011, 04:01 AM
¡Hi, folks!

Many years ago I read about such light effect; it was at Wisdom of the Ancients (a book by Tuesday Lobsang Rampa).

I remember explanation given there: "light site is called Taraka and is a center near eyebrow. Meditator can feel or see there a light if meditation is executed correctly."

Looking for alternative source in order to verify such assertion and searching with Google with keywords taraka eyebrow I find next link:

http://books.google.com.ar/books?id=58UZWWzqglMC&pg=PA85&lpg=PA85&dq=taraka+eyebrow&source=bl&ots=8YIcnFmCl_&sig=3wakhSZCkHsXT2GPbDU4ZBTz7IQ&hl=es&ei=qP-1Tp7zLuje0QHxmM3RBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=8&sqi=2&ved=0CE4Q6AEwBw#v=twopage&q&f=false

A (http://books.google.com.ar/books?id=58UZWWzqglMC&pg=PA85&lpg=PA85&dq=taraka+eyebrow&source=bl&ots=8YIcnFmCl_&sig=3wakhSZCkHsXT2GPbDU4ZBTz7IQ&hl=es&ei=qP-1Tp7zLuje0QHxmM3RBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=8&sqi=2&ved=0CE4Q6AEwBw#v=twopage&q&f=false)ccessing it you can obtain view of two pages of a book titled "Hindu spirituality" by Mariasusai Dhavamony and at footnote section you reads "28 Taraka literally "a star", it refers in raja-yoga to the light between and in front of eye-brows wich is seen in meditation".

My best regards,
Ángel

sono2
8th November 2011, 05:08 AM
Hi, I have also experiened this, though the light was not copper coloured, & sometimes it is so bright behind my eyelids that I can't sleep (yet the room is dark). I was taught not to take notice of anything seen in meditation, but these experiences are hard to ignore, & are probably milestones as well as a form of "encouragement" to continue on the path.

CFTraveler
8th November 2011, 02:41 PM
Hi, I have also experiened this, though the light was not copper coloured, & sometimes it is so bright behind my eyelids that I can't sleep (yet the room is dark). I do too, and have learned to see if much as you do.

these experiences are hard to ignore, & are probably milestones as well as a form of "encouragement" to continue on the path. I have taken the habit to look at what I was thinking when it happens- like a signal that something is happening with my thought- like someone went "pay attention now".

I was taught not to take notice of anything seen in meditation, I think this is true when you are meditating for a purpose (silence, or revelation, for example) because other things get your attention and distract- but I think this is something else altogether.
As usual, just some observations, take cum grano salis. :D

sono2
9th November 2011, 04:32 AM
Yes, I feel you are right CFTraveller, everything should be taken (as I used to say incorrectly!) "with a dose of salts" :D