PDA

View Full Version : Meditation and Mantra's

Akashic_Librarian
21st April 2006, 08:44 PM
When (if) you meditate do you use a mantra to focus the mind? If so do you say it out loud or in your head or both and can you share it with us?

I am thinking of starting meditation on a regular basis and I was wondering about using a mantra (Only Three Blind Mice lol - it has meaning to me)

CFTraveler
21st April 2006, 08:50 PM
That one gives me the creeps- when I was little they used to have this horrible sick cartoon that had it as a theme, with the song in the background. *shivers*
But seriously, I once used OM to see if it could induce vibrations- it didn't but I did OB.
Also, clowns give me the creeps.
I'm sure that was more info that you wanted. :roll:

enoch
21st April 2006, 09:54 PM
I have a personal mandala which I'll draw in paint and share (if I can) :P

Apex
21st April 2006, 10:09 PM
I never use mantras anymore. I've tried them before, but I kept falling out of them. So, I came to the conclusion they're not my thing.

22nd April 2006, 12:41 AM
Love is a good one. Focusing on your heart chakra is too. I personally use "nothingness" (without saying it out loud). I think "nothingness" wait a minute or so, and a cleft appears in the middle of the blackness behind closed eyes. I then just sort of fall through it. Don't know how I came up with that. It just evolved and works for me.

CF...I hate clowns!!! They creep me out. My husband thinks I'm weird. I can't wait to tell him I found someone else who doesn't like them. :lol:
(I hope there isn't anyone on this site who is a clown...apologies if so.)

sash
23rd April 2006, 04:58 AM
I use O
It works better out loud, but still works prouncouning it mentally. It is a good focus point to get into deeper meditation and more in touch with chakras.

Rather than going to the effort to make an image like that, you could just set the server permissions to stop hot-linking on certain files. It's easier.

enoch
24th April 2006, 10:06 PM
My attempts to draw my personal mandala in paint were laughable..so it will have to be a written portrait. It's two face profiles meeting nose to nose with one eye on either profile and three wavy lines above their profiles. Whe put togegther, they all form one face, but with two profiles for the merging of the self and innerself and the three waves above represent three major states of consciousness. It's looks good when visualised and it provides me with a focus for my practice. :P

Eagle_Owl
4th May 2006, 09:05 PM
Mantras if done properly can be effective. The problem is that the waking mind (ego) wants the the results straight away. There is an excellent book in the subject by Thomas Ashley Farrand - 'Shakti Mantras'. It is a very user friendly book.

There are specific mantras for various situations and most importantly it is not what is said but the tones used - like the Om sound, which if pronounced carefully can be quite relaxing.

There is another method which is Norse in origin. The vowel sounds connected to five main chakra centres.

A - Head
E - Throat
I - Heart
O - Tan Tien (two inches below the navel)
U - Base - where the perinium is located.

The sounds are made from top down and then down top.....

Quite effective and very clearing.

I will posting more info later.

Akashic_Librarian
5th May 2006, 05:41 AM
So is tht where vowels come from you think, Eagle_owl

5th May 2006, 12:57 PM
Mantras if done properly can be effective. The problem is that the waking mind (ego) wants the the results straight away. There is an excellent book in the subject by Thomas Ashley Farrand - 'Shakti Mantras'. It is a very user friendly book.

There are specific mantras for various situations and most importantly it is not what is said but the tones used - like the Om sound, which if pronounced carefully can be quite relaxing.

There is another method which is Norse in origin. The vowel sounds connected to five main chakra centres.

A - Head
E - Throat
I - Heart
O - Tan Tien (two inches below the navel)
U - Base - where the perinium is located.

The sounds are made from top down and then down top.....

Quite effective and very clearing.

I will posting more info later.

Actually the Tan Tien is purely the Qi aspect of that chakra. There are two Tan Tiens one located just below the power chakra and one located near the heart chakra with several smaller Qi power supplies located near the other chakras of which the names escape me at the moment.

Eagle_Owl
5th May 2006, 03:49 PM
I did not quite understand the question. The location of the points are important but not really that important considering that the various systems around the world have differences in opinion in regards to different methods and locations of Chakras.

The 'Vowel Method' is not my own - A good reference would be Siedways by Jan Fries. Before you start accusing me of being a 'Armchair practitioner' I have experience of Energy work and I do like to get physical.

In relation to where the vowels come from go to a Hindu/Buddhist temple and ask them to teach a peaceful mantra in exchange for a small donation - If you ask nicely they may even give you the breakdown of it so that you may understand (comprehend would be a better term) of how it 'works'. If you want I will give you a further reference in regards to Sanskrit - the explaination of sounds and vowels is brilliant but complex.

I would suggest that this sort of study should not be taken lightly. But Hehhh what do I know? :twisted:

5th May 2006, 06:00 PM
I don't think anyone accused you of being an armchair practitioner. That's interesting that you posted about a Norse method of using sounds with chakras. There is lots of information regarding Hindus and Buddhists using sound and chakra meditation, but Norse? Is there a Scandanavian religion or belief system that does this and what is it called? I have this funny picture in my head of Vikings rowing a boat and chanting mantras! :shock: :D
http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/waffen/violent-smiley-012.gif
Sorry, I just couldn't resist using this emoticon!

Akashic_Librarian
5th May 2006, 06:10 PM
Haha I can see it too 8)

Nay
5th May 2006, 06:11 PM
:shock: YIKES! Nice emoticon..hehehe.. you must be in a good mood. :grin: I was told once that I had a Norse guide...eh, I don't know.

Eagle_Owl
5th May 2006, 06:22 PM
I do apologise for sending the message twice but I just had to add the emoticon. In retrospect I do sound a bit intense in the last message. :shock:

In regards to vikings chanting there is a body knowledge, which I am sure that you are aware of, called the runes. Each one has to be pronounced carefully - The combination of the older runes is termed the Elder Futhark. Each rune has a god / goddess attached to it. And yes you may be right in visualising vikings rowing and chanting at the same time.

Again I will post more about this later.....
:shock:

Beekeeper
6th May 2006, 03:33 AM
According to Samael Aun Weor;

I (as sounded in Ian) will stimulate clairvoyance if pronounced aloud 1/2 hour daily. You simply say IIIIIIIIIIIIIIII over and over, holding as long as you can.
Suggested combinations are:
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII SSSSSSSSSSSSSS IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII SSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
or
SSSSSSSSSSSuIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAA AA

E is the foundation letter for caliraudience.
This combination is supposed to develop clairaudence also AAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMCHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIVVVVVVAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
or
EEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNN

OOOOOOO, OOOOOONNNNNNNNN or OOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMM are for intuition.

AAAAAAAAA, AAAAAAAAMMMMMMM and AAANNNNN for remembering past lives.

Haven't verified these claims, myself.

Like CF, I have found internally pronounced mantras can get the vibrations happening but that's as far as it goes. When I say them aloud I find I get that polytonal thing happening that you hear buddhist monks do.

By the way CF and Painterhypno, one of my first jobs was as a clown
and I was definitely not scary. :D

sash
6th May 2006, 04:52 AM
There is a powerful meditation utilizing the intuition mantra in one of Samael Aun Weor's works too.