PDA

View Full Version : How to delete your own posts

CFTraveler
18th November 2011, 03:25 PM
Let's say you double posted, or didn't like what you wrote.
Look at the bottom right hand side of the post. There is an 'edit' button there.
Click 'edit'
Now you will see various options.
[save] [go advanced] [delete] [cancel]
If you don't see a delete option, click on 'Go Advanced'.
There should be the above mentioned options. Then click 'delete'.
After clicking 'delete';
Now look again at the left hand side. You should have two options just opened up:
Soft Delete
or
Physically remove post.

Use whichever one you need.
If you double posted 'physically remove post' is the best option.
If you don't want to lose the message of what you wrote but don't want it there for the moment, use the 'soft delete'. The post will be unseeable but can be retrieved by you if you ever want to see it again.

CFTraveler
20th March 2012, 10:51 PM
Here is the illustration to what I just explained.
You may have to zoom it in to read, but with the above instructions it should be easy.

ButterflyWoman
21st March 2012, 05:20 AM
Just one note of caution. We have a rule that you can't and shouldn't delete posts if they're in a thread AND other replies in the thread rely on your posts. If you render a thread basically senseless, that's not cool. Most of the time, though, deleted posts are no big deal, so just use common sense. ;)

DarkChylde
21st March 2012, 09:32 AM
before .au happened the deletion was far much more easier as was editing.I'm not whinging ; just that post migration iv'e have had to constantly asked for help (for the faculty, the accommodation which they provided consistently right back has been ....well , frankly purveyed with such finesse that i keep posting)
On a more productive note as is with everything one has to keep at it , adapt and understand the working "how to's"
I feel the same applies to forum , like aforementioned ; life's like that :-)

DarkChylde
30th December 2012, 08:29 AM
Somebody please help me out here :-(

Lets take for example the post i made above , if i want to delete it , i cant , the options mentioned by CFTraveler in this post for the deleting process just don't show up!

So i have to ask a mod to help me delete a post i need expunged (i don't want to do that anymore i.e needless bothering), this has been a problem since post migration ,but since this function is available and i'd very much really like to utilize it , any help at all would be tremendously appreciated.

Please have a look at this :-

After clicking "edit post" i click "Go advanced" and the screen changes to this :

DarkChylde
30th December 2012, 08:58 AM
Ok , so I got someone with computing/software expertise to look my problem.

I was thinking the problem starts after* i click advanced setting , but that isn't the case ,
Lets look at the original mapper by CFTraveler , please refer to the bold arrows and the enbracketed one
The options on screen two appear as this in order: "Save" ,"Go Advanced" , ("Delete"), "Cancel" :-

Now please have a look at the exact screen I get and notice the options : -
the only options i get are "Save" "Go Advanced" "Cancel" - the delete option just isn't available!

my friend says this is a "user panel enabled feature" , i don't know what that means , could someone please help me fix this .

CFTraveler
30th December 2012, 03:01 PM
Then go advanced and look at the options again.

DarkChylde
30th December 2012, 03:17 PM
This is what happens after i do what your'e saying :

After clicking "edit post" i click "Go advanced" and the screen changes to this :

CFTraveler
31st December 2012, 08:22 PM
This is truly weird- I'm not home or on my computer so I'll have to wait 'til I get back to look at your account more in-depth.

ButterflyWoman
1st January 2013, 06:10 AM
I had a quick look at certain settings, not just for your account, but usergroup-wide (I won't bore you with the geeky details), and changed a couple. Try it now.

DarkChylde
1st January 2013, 06:44 AM
ohhh yes! http://emoticoner.com/files/emoticons/crazy-rabbit/dancing-crazy-rabbit-emoticon.gif (http://emoticoner.com)

ButterflyWoman
1st January 2013, 05:17 PM
ohhh yes! http://emoticoner.com/files/emoticons/crazy-rabbit/dancing-crazy-rabbit-emoticon.gif (http://emoticoner.com)
:) I take it it's fixed.

ButterflyWoman
2nd January 2013, 04:59 AM
BTW, I'm going to mention it in this thread just for future reference. When you delete a post, mods can still see it if we want to. We may also be able to restore it (dunno, never tried, can only think of wildly improbable circumstances in which it would be necessary or desirable). I'm just letting people know this so they'll know, full disclosure and all.

In other words, don't post mean things about the mods and then delete it thinking we'll never know what you said. :nono::evil::lol:;):P

CFTraveler
2nd January 2013, 07:50 PM
Finally back home and have a computer. Glad BW figured it out.

DarkChylde
7th February 2016, 09:47 AM
My post-self deleting option has disappeared again.Just like the last time , can we please have it fixed again?

(thankyou) :-)