PDA

View Full Version : Sitting or lying down?

SiriusTraveler
22nd December 2011, 07:46 AM
I am wondering in what position you meditate, sitting or lying down. Especially while listening to some binaural audio's and the likes.
If you are sitting up, for instance in half lotus, does that still bring you as deep into trance as lying down does or vice versa?
In what position do you usually project or in what position do you find yourself in the deepest trances?
I'm asking because i find it very comfortable to sit in half lotus during meditation and if I can combine that with, lets say Monroe's gateway series binaural sounds I'd be happy. If it's a good idea that is. I generally don't se why I could'nt but if a sitting position hinders the trance state in any way then i would'nt do it if I was after more than meditation.

Regards
Linus

CFTraveler
22nd December 2011, 05:31 PM
I meditate on a recliner. It's comfortable enough that I can 'let go' completely, but not as comfortable as a bed where I would just fall asleep.
I discovered my propensity to project in this recliner by accident, when I was going through a tough time with my back, and was sleeping at least part of the morning in the recliner, and doing energy work as 'back therapy'.
Now if I want to project or meditate deeply I go to my recliner, my body is already trained, like a ritual.

Korpo
22nd December 2011, 07:17 PM
Sitting position is usually what keeps you from falling asleep, because your body will sag and that will wake you up. So, when you start out it's better to sit to train getting to that point without crossing it. Later on, when you are more familiar with meditating, lying down can be useful, too, because then you have trained your mind to recognise these points without falling asleep.

Beekeeper
24th December 2011, 10:12 AM
Both, depending on how I feel.

I have now problem with lotus (can do it sitting with either leg on top, lying back, lying forward and can even access it from shoulder stand*) but I prefer to just sit with folded legs for meditation.

*Human pretzel :-)

CFTraveler
24th December 2011, 09:42 PM
Both, depending on how I feel.

I have now problem with lotus (can do it sitting with either leg on top, lying back, lying forward and can even access it from shoulder stand*) but I prefer to just sit with folded legs for meditation.

*Human pretzel :-) Showoff. :rolleyes:

Beekeeper
25th December 2011, 09:03 PM
Showoff. :rolleyes:

:lol: Such an important lifeskill too.

Serpentarius
26th December 2011, 06:22 AM
I am wondering in what position you meditate, sitting or lying down. Especially while listening to some binaural audio's and the likes.
If you are sitting up, for instance in half lotus, does that still bring you as deep into trance as lying down does or vice versa?
In what position do you usually project or in what position do you find yourself in the deepest trances?
I'm asking because i find it very comfortable to sit in half lotus during meditation and if I can combine that with, lets say Monroe's gateway series binaural sounds I'd be happy. If it's a good idea that is. I generally don't se why I could'nt but if a sitting position hinders the trance state in any way then i would'nt do it if I was after more than meditation.

Regards
Linus

For meditation I sit in burmese position (like the guy in the pic below) or I lie on the bed. If I want to enter deep trance I lie on the bed so I can completely relax my body.

http://www.mro.org/zmm/teachings/images/zazen/burmesefront.jpg

Find positions that work best for you. Trial and error is the way to go.

ButterflyWoman
26th December 2011, 11:49 AM
This topic comes up pretty regularly. Maybe we should sticky it?

Personally, I am physically unable to do most of the more complicated physical positions. I generally meditate sitting up in a chair. I've also been known to meditate on a bench, in a recliner (so, semi-reclined), in the car (not while driving, obviously ;)), and even sitting on a tree stump.

I also meditate lying down, but I do this when I'm going to bed, and it's a way of putting myself to sleep. Still, I've had many unusual visions, spiritual experiences, and insights just as I'm going to sleep, in that place between awake and asleep, in a meditative state that eventually gives way to slumber.

If I don't want to fall asleep, I meditate sitting up. If I'm okay with going to sleep, I meditate lying down. :)

CFTraveler
26th December 2011, 07:28 PM
I just stickied it. Let's see if it stays popular.

SiriusTraveler
28th December 2011, 01:55 PM
I feel that I get deeper into a different state (trance) when i'm not sitting. But i find that the meditative state that I find when sitting offers much for a beginner like me. I will alternate between the two depending on what I'm after.

AstralCB
29th December 2011, 08:05 PM
So what's the proper way or most common way to meditate while lying down? I've heard things like having your legs bent at the knees, hands over your second chakra, etc.

SiriusTraveler
29th December 2011, 08:16 PM
According to what I'v read about vipassana meditation it is most common to sit in halv lotus or full lotus. But I'm no expert here.

Serpentarius
30th December 2011, 02:35 AM
It doesn't really matter. Worrying too much about the "proper" position is putting the ritual ahead of practice. Find the position that's most comfortable for you and go for it. Once you can achieve stillness of both mind and body in your preferred position you can try meditating in different positions, during normal daily tasks, while walking, etc.

CFTraveler
4th September 2012, 12:09 PM
Any position is ok, as long as
You're comfortable enough to go into a trance
You're not too comfortable and go to sleep.
My favorite is a recliner, but I've meditated lying down and sitting crosslegged.

Korpo
4th September 2012, 01:29 PM
Actually, laying down and sitting do highlight different things in my body and tend to bring up different issues.

I-stone
30th December 2013, 01:32 PM
I always had a very different experience from laying down vs lotus position (and to a lesser extent half lotus, full lotus, or standing meditation). Traditionally, until very recently, I meditated in sitting position, then meditated as long as I could in bed. I could always achieve greater focus sitting. In bed always had a foggy feeling. I think its just because I was trained to focus when I sit, and trained to go into a sleep state when laying in bed with covers on.