PDA

View Full Version : Cath.

Beekeeper
8th March 2012, 11:32 AM
Today, I had to take my Year 11 Studies of Religion class to the chapel for a liturgy (we're a Catholic school). Cath is an old lady (in her eighties I suspect) who used to teach, then was the librarian (known for cutting "rude" pictures out of art books apparently http://deepdreaming.net/deep/Smileys/default/shocked.gif) and now she tends the chapel. She's known as something of a Nazi but I'd never experienced this aspect until today.

Anyway, as a recent thing, the deputy has hounded staff to take roll electronically in every class and generally I've been pretty sh*tty at remembering, but this time I'd taken my computer with me and it had to come to the chapel. So, I'm about to sit down with my class and Cath orders me to take my computer to the back of the chapel and leave it there. I'm a person who instantly shows contempt for any kind of unnecessary authoritarianism and, well, I didn't hide it. I went and sat with another group of my kids, who found the experience very amusing (one tried to high-five me but I pretended not to notice) and I kept my computer with me.

Towards the end of the service, Cath came towards me and surprised me by apologising, albeit while kind of poking me http://deepdreaming.net/deep/Smileys/default/angry.gif Anyway, I can't stay mad at people, especially old ladies, and I let it slide.

Then she began to poke out her sore, skinny little leg in front of her. She got sick as a kid drinking non-pasteurised milk, ended up in hospital for a long time and never recovered. Feeling sorry for her, I asked if her leg was sore and she grabbed my arm for a cuddle. Now, I don't mind that. The way I figure it, she hasn't got a family of her own so when does she ever get a cuddle? So, while she was making physical contact (which went on for some time, to the disgust of some of the boys sitting nearby), I decided to see if I could send some healing energy. What an interesting experience that was!

I've done this before with other people, for example, my friend Mel. We had been meditating near each other at a staff development day and I decided to include her body in my energy work. After the session was over, she asked me what I did, I told her and she said she felt it. On the spur of a moment, I also created a kind of circuit with my husband once and he jumped and asked what I'd done. With both of them I felt a nice easy flow but with Cath it just wouldn't move at all. I even started to feel kind of dizzy like I was "overloading", but that could have been from the asthma I was developing in response to her reeking of cigarettes. http://deepdreaming.net/deep/Smileys/default/smiley.gif After a while I decided this wasn't a good idea and I stopped the exercise and she suddenly threw me away http://deepdreaming.net/deep/Smileys/default/grin.gif

CFTraveler
8th March 2012, 03:44 PM
Despite its end (how's your asthma?) that was a very nice story. I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't get better both in disposition and health.

Beekeeper
8th March 2012, 08:11 PM
Asthma's fine.:)

Neil Templar
8th March 2012, 10:31 PM
Your asthma really develops in response to a smoker being near you?

Serpentarius
9th March 2012, 01:48 AM
With both of them I felt a nice easy flow but with Cath it just wouldn't move at all. I even started to feel kind of dizzy like I was "overloading", but that could have been from the asthma I was developing in response to her reeking of cigarettes. http://deepdreaming.net/deep/Smileys/default/smiley.gif After a while I decided this wasn't a good idea and I stopped the exercise and she suddenly threw me away http://deepdreaming.net/deep/Smileys/default/grin.gif

Maybe she was not interested in receiving your energy. Why did you try sending energy to her without her consent? Not everyone would be happy with something like that.

Beekeeper
9th March 2012, 07:59 AM
Your asthma really develops in response to a smoker being near you?

True.

Why did you try sending energy to her without her consent? Not everyone would be happy with something like that.

Well, obviously, Serpentarius. I said, "I'll send healing," because that was more true than, "I'll pray for you," which, no doubt, she would have accepted much more readily. I've heard the permission rule (I think it applies to cuddling too) but, since I'm not actually a healer, I don't know if it counts or that's a code of ethics thing.

ButterflyWoman
9th March 2012, 12:57 PM
If she's a smoker, she's got a self-destruction thing going on. Every smoker knows what they're doing to themselves, that they're playing Russian roulette with their health, with their life. I'm not surprised that she was unable or unwilling to receive healing energy; she doesn't want to heal, she wants to self-destruct.

I've heard the permission rule
IMHO,you may as well ask permission to pray for someone, or to think nice thoughts about them, or to wish them well. But the bottom line is that if they are unwilling to receive healing energy, they will not receive it. Full stop. Same with love. And with things like instruction, too (you being a teacher know exactly what I'm talking about; if someone doesn't want to learn, they won't, no matter what you do).

Generally, I don't offer healing energy to anyone because so often it has been clear to me that they really don't want to be healed, and it's just a big waste of time. I do offer love, but that's more like passing a tray of finger foods around a room. Take some if you want, or leave it alone. It's not as direct as healing, generally.

I wonder now if it's possible to actually radiate healing energy... I think that must be possible. Interesting idea. Will have to meditate on it.

Neil Templar
9th March 2012, 01:41 PM
I wonder now if it's possible to actually radiate healing energy... I think that must be possible. Interesting idea. Will have to meditate on it.

I try to do this when i'm out in the city. I'm always casting love at strangers, but i often cast healing at them too, if they look like they could do with it... in truth it's more like i'm making a request, for them to receive whatever healing is appropriate, if any..

ButterflyWoman
9th March 2012, 01:56 PM
I cast love as a matter of habit (have been doing it for ages). People often respond to it visibly, too (usually children, but animals definitely respond to it, and some adults do, as well).

I'm going to think about casting healing. My particular area of healing appears to be emotional/mental healing, rather than physical, but healing is healing, no matter what form it takes. I wonder if I were to just allow healing energy to flow (I always see it like a jar or pitcher which is overflowing with glowing golden-white liquid-light), for anyone who wants it to have, same as with love. Indiscriminate, and not even involving my conscious decision, just like the love.

Interesting idea. Really appeals to me, actually...

CFTraveler
9th March 2012, 03:13 PM
And with things like instruction, too (you being a teacher know exactly what I'm talking about; if someone doesn't want to learn, they won't, no matter what you do). As a mother, I've learned this lesson very well.

Beekeeper
9th March 2012, 08:21 PM
I'm glad we're on the same page here, Butterflywoman and C.F. I think healing is essentially like love - an aspect of love if you like. Clearly Cath needed a bit of both and was willing to accept compassion but I think she's been ill such a long time that it has become part of her identity. In any case, I believe she'll be free of it one day. From my point-of-view, however, it offered an interesting learning experience, a chance to explore.

ButterflyWoman
10th March 2012, 04:43 AM
Clearly Cath needed a bit of both and was willing to accept compassion but I think she's been ill such a long time that it has become part of her identity.
*nod* That happens, too.

Interesting to note that it happens with more than just illness, of course. It happens with victimisation (i.e., victim mentality), with lack of abundance, with physical well-being (being fit or healthy or over/underweight, that sort of thing), with someone's job description, you name it. People adopt this as as aspect of their identity, and then their reality conforms to that.

In any case, I believe she'll be free of it one day.
I hope so, for her sake, but sometimes people enjoy their suffering, or at least, they're so used to it they're unwilling to let it go. "Who will I be without this?" is a scary question for a lot of people.

From my point-of-view, however, it offered an interesting learning experience, a chance to explore.
:)

Neil Templar
10th March 2012, 02:11 PM
*nod* That happens, too.

Interesting to note that it happens with more than just illness, of course. It happens with victimisation (i.e., victim mentality), with lack of abundance, with physical well-being (being fit or healthy or over/underweight, that sort of thing), with someone's job description, you name it. People adopt this as as aspect of their identity, and then their reality conforms to that.

I hope so, for her sake, but sometimes people enjoy their suffering, or at least, they're so used to it they're unwilling to let it go. "Who will I be without this?" is a scary question for a lot of people.

So true, and so frustrating to observe in ones you love. I have a friend who "suffers" continuously. All this stuff just keeps on happening to her, as far as she is concerned. She can't stick at any job, or educational course/project, because she's always getting ill, or some other unexpected trouble comes her way. From my perspective, i can see she creates it all, but she can't even begin to allow herself to admit that fact. I've watched her be a victim to herself for years, and i can't see any end to it... hopefully she'll work it out someday...

Beekeeper
12th March 2012, 09:47 AM
Cath caught me having lunch today and we both made an effort to be very pleasant to one another and reinstate what has been a reasonable relationship to date. She got chatting about old times, as she usually does, and out of the blue started talking about two dreams she had of someone who worked there a very long time ago. In her dreams, her friend was pregnant, even though she was in her early 40s and had established family. Cathy's two dreams turned out to be correct and she told her friend she must now be the child's godmother, to which her friend agreed.:-)

Archimedes
29th March 2012, 01:00 PM
True.

Well, obviously, Serpentarius. I said, "I'll send healing," because that was more true than, "I'll pray for you," which, no doubt, she would have accepted much more readily. I've heard the permission rule (I think it applies to cuddling too) but, since I'm not actually a healer, I don't know if it counts or that's a code of ethics thing.

Asking permission reduces your chances of creating any negative karmic traces for the future.

ButterflyWoman
29th March 2012, 01:22 PM
So, acts of kindness and compassion have potential negative karmic backlash? Sorry. I don't buy it!

The basic concept of karma is sound. You reap what you sow. What you intend is what you receive. What goes around comes around. Yes, this makes perfect sense.

However, the dogmatic use of the concept of karma is basically just something people use to maintain control and constrict others and force conformity. It's used the same way some people use "you're going to go to hell for that". It's meant to keep you from "getting out of line", and as long as people allow themselves to be restricted by dogmatic interpretations meant to control them, they're not going to grow very far, or very much.

I have zero reason to think or believe or interpret that offering someone a kindness is going to generate anything other than kindness. Perhaps not from the person in question, but genuinely loving intentions reap genuinely loving returns. If you plant strawberries, you don't get a crop of potatoes. If you send out love, your return is not punishment or pain. This is my direct life experience, and I have no reason at all to think it can't or won't work that way for everyone. Plant good seeds, reap good harvest, and offering someone a share of your harvest is simply an act of generosity or kindness. There is no negative retribution for acts of kindness and love.