PDA

View Full Version : Back muscles are stiff and head is bending back meditating

Katusik
4th May 2006, 06:03 PM
Hi,

I have been meditating when I was in high school and at some point I felt that I had to stop because a few minutes into the meditation my back muscles would become very very stiff and my head would start rotating, which was not that bad, but then I would start feeling tremendous pressure at the back of my head and my head would start bending back so much that I would become afraid that neck bones would break. I had to struggle to regain control of my neck muscles, breaking the meditation. Eventually I stopped meditations altogether, still remaining very aware of the energies.

That was over 15 years ago. Two months ago I have joined Spiritual Development circle and we are encouraged to meditate regularly. The same problem is coming back.

What do you think could be the problem?

4th May 2006, 06:25 PM
How about supporting your head? :D I think pain is the problem. Some people lie on the floor to meditate, some lie in bed propped up with pillows to hold their head in place, some use a comfy chair where they can slouch down and rest their head on the back of the chair. Don't fall into the trap of believing you have to assume the lotus position to meditate. There are many routes to the same goal. I personally have no desire to sit in the lotus position. Pain and being perfectly correct isn't one of my goals for this life. :lol:

CFTraveler
4th May 2006, 07:40 PM
There may be an issue of balance (eyes are closed, not telling you where is up). Do you have allergies that could mess with the ear-balance systems?
P.S. I meditate on a comfy recliner. I don't like discomfort either. :)

Since the ears and eyes work together to decide which way is up (other than visual, using the ear fluid as horizon line) if you have ear problems and close your eyes it can throw your balance off and swing you sideways or backwards, especially in the lotus position.

Katusik
4th May 2006, 08:19 PM
Thank you for your replies. I am pretty much aware of my body position and balance.

My theory was that some sort of energy imbalance is happening; when crown chakra is opening it somehow moves to the back of the head and with the neck relaxed I am being pulled back, although I remember that I tried meditating lying on my back, and that it would start arching back.

Supporting the head is not a problem, but I still feel the pressure and pulling. I can overcome the discomfort, I am just wondering if whatever is happening is a sign of a problem that can stand in the way of my progress, or may be the opposite, some early signs of kundalini activity.

5th May 2006, 04:01 AM
Katusik,

From what I've read about kundalini, one of the symptoms of its awakening is the moving of the body in spontaneous postures or in unusual ways to clear blockages. Google "kundalini kriyas" and see if you think this is what you are experiencing.

Mira

Katusik
6th May 2006, 12:10 AM
Thank you all kindly,

I am supprised that there does not seem to be a lot of people who has experienced this. I am going to continue my development, and if I will raise Kundalini without breaking my back I will certainly update this topic.

If any members personally experienced similar thing, please let me know.

Thank you all again!

Dsmoke
6th May 2006, 12:01 PM
Occasionally I feel a tugging on my head when I'm doing energy work (sometimes even when I'm not), and it pulls my head up into perfect alignment with my spine to further the flow of energy. It is definitely not something I'm doing, and is always a complete surprise.

I wonder if perhaps you should see a chiropractor or physical therapist? Maybe something similar is happening to you, but it hurts because there is something wrong with your back and neck. Sometimes we are not even fully aware that there is something wrong with our joints and such, because we have compensated for so long that we take it as normal.

CFTraveler
6th May 2006, 04:07 PM
Thank you all kindly,

I am supprised that there does not seem to be a lot of people who has experienced this. I am going to continue my development, and if I will raise Kundalini without breaking my back I will certainly update this topic.

If any members personally experienced similar thing, please let me know.

Thank you all again! Actually, it has happened to me but only with meditating in a group setting, something which I don't do very often. Luckily I was sitting in a chair (we were in a circle) and didn't have anywhere to fall. But it's never happened alone.

Christian
6th May 2006, 04:56 PM
I've felt rotation in my whole body when doing kundalinin mediation, and I would rotate in bigger and bigger circular movements and also fatser and faster. It came to a moment when i stopped it because I felt to much energy for me to handle was being generated.

Christian

violetsky
7th May 2006, 10:45 PM
Dear Katusik,

This does sound potentially kundalini related and good recommendations have been made. My question is what form of meditation do you do? Do you go into very deep altered states easily? Would you be willing to give a careful description of what you are doing meditation wise and rough description of your health and diet.

Below gives a very rough idea of a few possibilities but better recommendations could perhaps be made if there were more details.
Perhaps lighter forms of meditation would help - i.e. open eyed meditation? Perhaps try lying down on a bed instead of the classic lotis position. Perhaps try tai chi or high movement style yogas like ashtanga to help with energy flow, distribution and movement - hopefully avoiding build of energy at particular points in the body? Perhaps try other things that will help with energy flow and movement through the energy body yet not throw you into altered states? Do you do Robert's NEW energy ways exercises? What happens when you do?

Sorry for all the questions. Look forward to hearing from you.

Please note:
Everyone experiences kundalini phenomena in a slightly different way. Kundalini does not always rise nicely and gently from the base through each consecutive chakra. Think of our body as a massively complex mesh of energy lines. The chakras being intersection points of many of these energy lines. Energy takes the path of least resistance. The amount of energy also affects the amount and pathways taken. Heavy sensations can indicate a highly blocked area or can indicate a bottle-neck area that is experiencing overwhelming high flow because too much is flowing into it from side stream energy lines. The back of your head is the back of the throat chakra. Throat chakra blockages are very common. This is an area that experiences heavy throbbing in me but more on the front side not the back side of the chakra. My experience has been almost complete numbness in the roof of the mouth, like I had just been at the dentists - amongst other bizarre symptoms that subside after meditation as kundalini energy flow recedes. Yet another possiblity is that you naturally have too much energy flowing up your back and it is not able to then move down the front, perhaps causing a clog at the back of your neck? The neck and nasal area are critical shifting points where energy is changing directions to either flow up to the brow and crown or down the front or up the back or right or left (ida or pingala).

What I am presently thinking is that perhaps lots of stretching and physical movement will help overall energy flow and help bring more balance to your energy flow etc. Also, Robert's NEW energy work done around your neck area might be of benefit? Try things carefully and gradually, and do what make sense and feels right to you, is all I can suggest thus far.

Very Best Wishes,
Violetsky

Katusik
8th May 2006, 06:29 PM
Here we go… :D

The first occurrences happened during TM type meditation. I was still living in Tallinn, Estonia, my city of birth. While I was still in high school I had a summer job working as one of the English-Russian interpreters for a group of TM masters that were giving lessons. As far as I remember they had several levels of classes and I was interpreting for all of them. I got really interested in meditations and armed with knowledge picked up at those classes I started to meditate regularly myself. I don't remember all the details, but I believe I just was sitting down quietly and repeating mantra given to me personally by one of the TM gurus. (Since I was told to never reveal this personal mantra to anyone I suspect that it was not something unique, but this secrecy was just a marketing trick).

Anyways, I only have a few strong memories of those meditations. One was that just a minute or two into the meditation I would start seeing a shiny white light somewhere in front of me and as I was pulling it towards me, I would get very strong positive energy sensations that would turn into a feeling of total bliss, and memory I have already described - the back bending. These two experiences could happen in parallel. I could feel happy and full of light, but at the same time being worried not to let go control of the neck muscles, so it would not break. To understand the intensity of the pressure on the back of the neck, imagine that you are lying on the floor facing down and another person is standing on the neck pushing it down with a heel.

Another experience that contributed to me stopping meditating was a vision that I had during one of the meditations. I saw myself high up in the clouds, felt very strong, happy and wanted to explore what is above them, then I saw an elderly person that was wearing white robe, he seemed to be busy with something, then he turned to me looking very surprised and asked: “What are YOU doing here?” Next second I was back in my room. I felt like a child caught with my hand in a cookie jar after bringing home excellent marks from school. I knew that I did not have the permission, but at the same time I felt that I totally deserved the treat. “It’s not fare!” I thought. It may sound funny but this feeling lasted for a long time, for some time I was convinced that this old guy will be there every time I would try to go any further in my meditations.

Now I live in Vancouver, Canada. I am not on any special diet, just trying to eat more vegetables and stay away from junk food.

With the renewed meditations I still can’t easily go into deep state. I don’t see the light that I have described previously, but whole bunch of new (or forgotten) symptoms. The strongest one is the third eye chakra. Some days I feel like I have a trunk growing on my forehead. Sometimes it is pulsating, sometimes it is just pressure, but I learned just to acknowledge these sensations and not to concentrate on them during everyday life. I can’t yet see any spirits or hear them, but I definitely see positive changes in my life.

It is worth mentioning that I was started reading "Astral Dynamics" and doing NEW excercises at the time as well. To list just a few little miracles, I quit smoking cold turkey about a month after joining the Development Circle. It was a learning experience by itself. As many smokers I have tried quitting several times and always would slip back. This time as I was walking to the office I was thinking about buying a pack of Nicorette and try quitting again. Suddenly as a thought came to me: “Why would you need Nicorette if I have a Spirit Guide?” That was it. Something clicked in my head and have not had a cigarette since, another nice touch is that my friends that were jokingly offering me to join them for a smoke during my previous tries, behave like I had never smoked and none of them had some much as even looked in my direction when they are going for a smoke break.

Another one worth mentioning is something that before it happened to me I would really be skeptic about. Last Tuesday I was looking at the bills that I had to pay, and it (as it happens often) added up to more that my bank account balance showed. I thought what to do and there was literally no way to pay them. I got upset to the point that I said really clearly in my mind: “I want to have …dollars in my bank account by the weekend”. Then I almost forbid myself to think about it. As they say, believe it or not, but on Friday I got a cheque from my client that paid not only what I expected him to pay, which was about 1/3 of the amount that I needed. He also paid for the work that I considered “pro bono”. Imagine this, I am standing in his office, he looks up at me and asks: “Is … OK?”, and names exactly the amount that I wanted. Of course I agreed. After I got out of his office I could barely walk. I was thinking:” Can this be real?” Even now writing about it I feel spaced out.

I am doing NEW exercises a couple of times a day and they feel very good. I don’t have a set time for them I just do them on the train, or walking, or working on the computer. I can easily move energy around the body; some areas are of course more difficult than others. Moving it up the spine is the one that takes a lot of effort, although I can’t say that I skip any areas. It just takes longer, about 5-7 seconds from the root all the way to the heart chakras.

I became a big fan of Robert’s work. Now I am reading his “Practical Psychic Self-Defense” and can’t wait for “Kundalini Dynamics”, hoping that it will have some reliable guidelines for Kundalini work.

I apologize for such a long post, I just felt an urge to share some of my recent experiences. :)

Dsmoke
9th May 2006, 01:02 AM
LOL, you have yourself an anti-smoking campaign right there :)

I have read about other people experiencing violent facial/head ticks and movements with TM, but I always thought it was after excessive practice.

violetsky
9th May 2006, 02:57 AM
Dear Katusik,

Thanks for the detailed information. The increase energy flow during meditation is likely affecting the nerves and causing muscle contraction.

I would recommend that you doing energy work around the front of your neck. Robert has a tearing exercise for the chakras. The front of the throat chakra could be a starting point. Perhaps try bouncing an energy ball front and back through throat charka and side to side. You do not need to be in a trance state to do that. Work steadily but gradually and let us know how it goes.

Since you are in good health likely tai chi and ashtanga will help with balancing your energy flows in a physical way. Seeing a good Chinese acupunturist is also a thought.

Very Best Wishes,
violetsky

Katusik
9th May 2006, 05:33 PM
Thank you all for your replies; I really appreciate support and understanding this community can offer.

I have been playing with the energy ball bouncing, mostly dragging it through the third eye. Working with it on the rest of major chakras feels very uneasy (like it probably should when they are not fully developed). I will continue to work with the ball.

A note about smoking. Somehow, smoking is just not someting I want to do anymore. I believe that I can find a better use for energy spent recovering from daily nicotine poisoning elsewhere. :D

Katusik
9th May 2006, 05:59 PM
What is an "open eyed meditation"? Is it like sitting at a company quarterly meeting? :)

But, seriously could you please describe the technique?

violetsky
10th May 2006, 11:53 PM
Big Smile. Exactly. Only you do not have the distracting "Mah mah maw mah," noise in the background.

One word of caution, your background experience with TM masters likely has helped balanced certain emotional aspects within you. This may enable you to do more third eye work than most of us. For most this level of stimulation can cause emotional instability. Conversely, it can cause us to see things before we are emotionally or spiritually ready and would as a result be classified medically as dilerium or hallucination and or develop ego problems. Blush...I totally admit to discouraging a lot of third eye stimulation for most people until years of inner work is completed. Inner work to the point that even if you are thrown in the most stressful situation you do not loose your cool, kindness or compassion. Please understand it is a duty of care for me to state this.

What is an "open eyed meditation"? Is it like sitting at a company quarterly meeting? :)

But, seriously could you please describe the technique?

violetsky
12th May 2006, 01:28 AM
Ooops! Just realized I did not answer your question. Blush. Sorry.

One example of open eyed meditation is meditation while looking at the flame of a candle. Try to get a normal wick candle that is not too bright but comfortable to the eye while in a slightly dimmed room. You clear your mind and focus only on the candle flame. Try to only observe. Try to avoid internal discussions where you analyse the flame or think about the colours. Also do not let your mind wander to the past or think about anything but the flame you are presently watching. Try to be totally in the moment observing every dance, tilt, flicker etc. Total observation with no inner dialogue. This helps brings us into the "Now" with full awareness yet without judgement - one of the many goals of meditation. However, by being open eyed you avoid the deeper altered states that can occur with some closed eyed meditations.

But, seriously could you please describe the technique?[/quote]

Katusik
12th May 2006, 11:49 PM
Thank you again!

I will definitely try it. Just observe...watch. Sounds like something from Alan Watts lectures.

Interesting coincidence, I just downloaded his "Still the Mind", Introduction to meditation lectures in MP3 format and was listening to it when decided to check the astral dynamics forums.

13th May 2006, 01:55 AM
You might want to take a look at Eckhart Tolle's, "The Power of Now". Pretty amazing stuff. And, the bonus for me (although not for everyone) is that it leaves out all the religious mishmash. Much easier to comprehend.

Katusik
13th May 2006, 07:35 AM
Painterhypnogirl, thank you, I will definitely check this book out. Amazon reviews are kinda weak, it looks like that this book can push you in the right direction at certain times in one's life. I am currently reading Robert Bruce's self-defense book and after that MAP should arrive. Since MAP is printed in the States, it takes a month for my local metaphysical bookstore to get it :shock: , but it's ok, I really like them and would rather wait to give them some business, than order it online.

Alex, I also feel that I carry a lot of stress in my neck, shoulders and back muscles. How different is preparation and relaxation for trance meditation and AP? Is there a minimum how long should muscle relaxation take? I sometimes feel like my limbs become cold even meditating in a worm room, as if the blood flow was really really weak.Is there any indication (even subjective ones) that muscles are completely relaxed?

violetsky
13th May 2006, 02:27 PM
Dear Katusik,

I was thinking, you could try the following as an experiment to see if it helps. I used to do this after work. I had a demanding management job as an engineer at the time.

Put a hot water bottle down on the bed (towel over it so it is not too hot on the skin) and then ease your back down on this. When your muscles have relaxed a bit in the heat, remove the hot water bottle and lie down again, then very, very slowly tighten then very very slowly relax the muscles in your back. For some reason when we contract then release muscles very slowly (i.e. one whole minute to slowly contract and one whole minute to slowly release) it relaxes the muscles much more deeply. Then try to do some of Robert's NEW method in the areas that still remain tight.

Btw. I would say Echkart Tolle is today's version of Alan Watts. I loved the Alan Watts tape where he spoke about his interview with Carl Jung and how many misunderstood Carl's perspective on good and evil. Am a big fan of Carl.

Wishing you all the best,
Violetsky

Sola Neid
15th May 2006, 03:30 AM
Edited: I decided to pm the message instead of posting it here.

ileo75
6th June 2006, 10:53 PM
hello everybody
i just registered
find interesting the whole site itself
Major topic this one

Katusiks experience caught my attention

1st of all, what I know that stands for TM is not trance meditation, but Transcendent(al) Meditation.
I used to use it myself, bt so much is on my shoulders lately tht i simply cannot meditate without falling asleep ... tht is also explainabel, cause my teacher said once it means the body needs to balance out first so that the mind can at a later stage not be affected so deeply by the body stresses.

Anyway, Katusik has something i do too:
when i started meditation using TM, i also had the pulling back of my head via neck, but since the Teacher advised to sit confortably in a chair or sofa in the first stages of learing, what happened to me was that the head used to turn in circles, but without pain.
SO what i felt always was an energy making my head move in circles, but very slowly. nothing quick, nor exagerated.
this diminuished and stoped after i also practiced youga for a month. Hatha Yoga was what we did 3 times a week.

Also another common thing i find in my experiences is the third eye pulsing all from a sudden for some short period, so i learnt to merge into a feeling and within the third or fourth time i did it, i had an unbelievable sensation of escaping into a werid liquid, colourful and so pleasant, i cannot have enought word to describe.

also , as Katusik, i travelled in my TM sessions. I met The Mans Face we all know as Jesus, but in his old days. If it was not Jesus, it was a kind of Advanced Man with a looong beard and it was a transparent being. all started with the white light from the third eye pulling me into cosmos/ Universe....what I felt then is what I feel everytime i share my experience with people...
whatever it was, it was of Total PEACE, and a silence that filled you with total awareness of youself as an infinite. I was MERGED with this INFINITE and PEACE of whatever....not enough words.

I was never a religious person, but i always knew there was something to higher realms. When I visited those, I became more convinced and knowing of our potentials as beings, our connectedness with higher dimension (or lower ones: alcohol, drug, pre-suicide states are all real and connected to lower vibrational energies).....

so i dont know... actually i DO know i am not alone in this now...right Katusik? by the way, I speak russian too :)

Katusik
7th June 2006, 08:04 AM
First of all welcome to the forum. I have recently registered myself thinking that this is THE PLACE to connect to people that have similar interest and experiences. I had never thought that it is possible to find someone who had almost identical ones. Feels very good :)

I have also experienced head rotation, and have contributed it mostly to it following the rotation of the crown chakra. Other times I could communicate with my spirit guide and some other spirits with them answering my questions by moving my head up and down or sideways.

If I can suggest please do NEW excercises several times a day and I also found Monroe Institute tapes very good. In last couple of months if I do both I only need 4-5 hours of sleep to feel good enought to work, do some trail biking and spend time with family.

Once again I am very happy to hear from you about your experiences.

CFTraveler
7th June 2006, 12:45 PM
Katusik wrote:
Painterhypnogirl, thank you, I will definitely check this book out. Amazon reviews are kinda weak, it looks like that this book can push you in the right direction at certain times in one's life. Here's my review: He (Tolle) teaches you how you can step away from a difficult situation and look at it in a different way. I can't tell you how beneficial I found it, since one of my problems is identifying with stressful situations. I read it about 2 years ago and now I think it's time to read it again.

ileo75
7th June 2006, 02:47 PM
thank you for the welcome and yes, i agree that us who are aware of the potentials of the human mind, spirit & body should more frequently dedicate themselvs to developing these abilities, bt i guess this is the main problem.
Everyday more and more problems arise around us. why? these situations are helped by the people who are not interested in seeing humanity well. so stress is promoted on a daily basis all over.

time is precious when you need to survive and time is what i less have. i cannot become too egoistic and abandon my responsabilities in order to develop my psychic abilities... of course, i HAVE to find time for myself and at least sleep the correct amount of hours...that is the basiscs tha ws taught to me at school...school days are so fa and they used to e nice!

i guess the best thing i have to do is to learn and train myself ato breath correctly....that is a major start. Later i will definately try more exercises. thank you for the concern too :)

LOVE, Ileo

Katusik
7th June 2006, 05:47 PM
I try to see fighting stress as a hard work and meditating as an easy way out. I wannabe the lazy one, I want to be the cheap bastard who does not want to spend his energy for nothing.

To me right now spiritual development looks more intriguing than development of the psychic abilities. I believe that whatever we can imagine we can achieve, actually we can do much more. Isn't it worth perusing? :-) For me sometimes it is as simple as after having read a book to my son at a bedtime, sitting down on the floor next to his bed and meditating for 20 minutes and/or spending half of lunch break every day alone, meditating ( I was lucky to find a coffee shop in the area that has a couple of soft armchairs and one of them is facing the back wall so nobody can see my face :-) ) or listening to Monroe tapes.