PDA

View Full Version : Don't know how to continue with my meditation after a certain point.

Morningsun
11th April 2012, 06:52 AM
I have tried many different meditation technqiues over the last year and I found out that for myself it is the easiest to clear my mind of any thoughts and empty my mind, but for the last couple of days it has been some how different.

Always at the start of my meditation I have a lot of difficulties to clear my mind because I get distracted by a few things around me and it is just not easy at first, but after a few more minutes I am starting to relax more and more and I stop with thinking about anything and it feels like I am asleep while I still have a little bit of awareness that helps me not to fall asleep. After a while, I suddenly feel a weird sensation in my head for a few seconds that makes me "wake up again". at this point I am aware of everything around me like I was before I started with the meditation (feels like I have to start all over again) but I also feel vibrations around and above the top of my head (crown chakra maby?).

I have tried to control these vibrations without any succes at all and they seem to last for a long time as long as I stay still but if I get up and walk a bit they will disappear in a few seconds. Whenever I start to clear my mind again and start the whole meditation proccess again I am not able to calm my mind because I get an annoying sensations that does not really help me to relax and I stay distracted and feel uncomfortable for the remaining of the meditation.

I truly believe that I achieved something but I just do not know how to use it I guess :(

any idea what I should do?

Korpo
11th April 2012, 12:54 PM
Hello, Morningsun.

I'm not clear on what you try to accomplish with this exercise and what you expect.

There are those, and I include myself there, is that the goal of mediation is not to clear the mind, but that this is a tool that you then work with afterward.

One definition of meditation is to learn to learn to continuously observe a chosen object with all your attention. This can have the same effect on your mind that all other distractions fall away and your mind becomes empty except for the chosen object.

Now you have the choice of observing anything arises out of this new mind state, that's one way to proceed. You then use this concentrated, focussed mind state to observe what newly arose in your mind. If you lose focus you can return to your original meditation object, often also called the meditation support.

Adyashanti is one of the proponents of this "dropping the support" approach. After having emptied or concentrated the mind, he recommends letting everything arise and fall away and just observe. This is at least part of his approach. You might find his book "True Meditation" interesting in that regard. The difference here is that he doesn't try to control what arises, like you said you tried unsuccessfully.

You could also remain with your meditation support regardless of what arises and observe that. You might become fully absorbed into the object, and this is another way to proceed.

I'm not sure how helpful this is as I am not sure if trying to empty the mind can be considered a meditation support. Being mindful of all sensations that arise could be a suitable meditation object after you've concentrated your mind.

her crow
11th April 2012, 01:06 PM
how long have you been doing excercices to clear your mind? you will have to spend quite some time before it gets comfortable and various things stop distracting you. try holding on to this strange sensation and don't struggle with it, and maybe it will stop "waking you up".

also I suggest you try some form of active meditation. it is not for everyone, but it works just as well.

Morningsun
11th April 2012, 02:19 PM
What I'm trying to accomplish is a state in which I simply don't think. In my everyday life I'm thinking a lot about even the smallest things and some of them are negative thoughts which I want to get rid of by clearing/emptying my mind. Also, I heard that this is a good way to become more aware of what's going on in our surroundings.

I have started with this about 2 weeks ago as my mom suggested it to me and told me it might be a good way to became more calm and not have to worry so much about the all kinds of problems and negative feelings some of us might have.

It's just that I am intrested in what those vibrations have to do with all of this as it's somehow not as intense as the vibrations I get before i get an obe. I don't get those vibrations with any other forms of meditation that's why I am wondering.

Thanks for the replies.

CFTraveler
11th April 2012, 05:21 PM
What I'm trying to accomplish is a state in which I simply don't think. This state is possible but doesn't last long. I hope you don't think that it is a state that you can hold for long periods of time. It is achievable, but it is not quickly acquired, and the reason you want to achieve it is to increase your awareness, not 'turn it off'.

In my everyday life I'm thinking a lot about even the smallest things and some of them are negative thoughts which I want to get rid of by clearing/emptying my mind. Emptying your mind with meditation is not like emptying a garbage can- if you want to eliminate negative thought patterns I recommend you take a look at the manifestation subforum, because negative thoughts are mental phenomenon and has to be mentally addressed. Even though meditation will help achieve what you want, you need a strategy too.

Also, I heard that this is a good way to become more aware of what's going on in our surroundings. Yes, and this will be addressed on the rest of this post.

It's just that I am intrested in what those vibrations have to do with all of this as it's somehow not as intense as the vibrations I get before i get an obe. I don't get those vibrations with any other forms of meditation that's why I am wondering. The vibrations you are feeling may be energy body awareness, and it can be worked with, depending on what you are trying to do. They may be just trance symptoms, which change with time practiced.

The feeling of 'waking up' may be one of two things, depending on how long you are meditating for- you may have 'clicked out' and are waking up afterwards (which explains the vibes as reintegration sensations); or your awareness is ramping up and you have shifted focus (intensified awareness is one of the symptoms of this) and you can go on to have other experiences, such as the clarient senses (clairvoyance, clairaudience, and of course projection).

Interesting post, good luck with your adventures.

Morningsun
12th April 2012, 09:40 AM
Okay, now I got an idea about what is causing this sentation, do u also know what I can try out whenever I get those vibrations again?

CFTraveler
12th April 2012, 01:40 PM
Why do you think you have to do anything? There is a member of the EIC forum that considers them something to enjoy, and she focuses on enjoying them when they arise. She considers them an opportunity to expand your awareness when you're in that state.
In the past when I've felt them, I have tried to enjoy the experience, but they never lasted long enough to do anything with, and I don't get them anymore.

Morningsun
17th April 2012, 05:24 PM
Thanks CFTraveler, I didn't understand exactly what u meant by enjoying it but after my weirdest experience that I got today while meditating I totally agree. I will share my experience here as it might help some others to spiritually evolve.

Let me start off by telling that I still continued with my empty mind meditation and each time I try it I get those tingling sensation on the top of my head. Today however, I was suprised how fast I got them this time as I started to feel them within 30 seconds! I rememberd that I did something which explains literally everything I would had to do to get to that point and beyond in just one single word!

Anyway, once I started doing that I got the tingling sensation on the top of my head again and it felt like ants were crawling inside my brain. Afterwards, some weird things happend all at the same time. I heard a lot of voices inside my head talking to me(I couldn't understand what it was saying to me because it was either talking really fast or it were more then one voice talking to me, I am not really sure) at the same time I began to fly circles around my room and I noticed things like pencils, paper, empty colo bottle etc.. flying around and I saw that there were things flying in my house which weren't there before I started my meditation (I presumed I was dreaming as everything was crystal clear and light while if I get an obe things are much darker and my vision is blurred). I felt so comfortable and relaxed and it was such a wonderful feeling that I wouldn't want it to end(I know right? how can someone feel wonderful when when they hear tons of voices in their head and are flying into circles in their own room). I focused my attention on a dart board which was obviously not in my real room and saw one dart flying in a circle and while I kept looking at it I saw a purple vortex coming out of it and I suddenly woke up and I couldn't remember that one single word that made me explain everything that I could do to let it happen again :(

This however, was an amazing experience for me as I haven't felt anything so peachfully in my whole life.

I hope everyone can experience things like I had cause it's worth it.

CFTraveler
17th April 2012, 07:33 PM
Sounds like an astral projection (as opposed to an etheric projection, or RTZ OBE) that involved the crown chakra. Those are precious, I hope you enjoyed it.