PDA

View Full Version : newbies: what's flying like for you?

casp911
9th May 2006, 11:00 PM
I always had this idea that flying was supposed to be like Superman's flying. When I dream I'm taking off, I'm usually in an upright position, palms up, pushing with my arms...just like when you're at the bottom of a pool and you push up with your feet and arms to get to the surface.

The air around me is always super dense. When I do end up flying, half of the time I'm sitting with my legs crossed and I push/pull air as if swimming. Sometimes I'm horizontal but still air-swimming! I never fly more than three feet from the ground.

I haven't been lucid enough to try other techniques. I think I'm lacking imagination. I just don't think of trying other stuff.

So what's flying like for you?

CFTraveler
9th May 2006, 11:10 PM
That'll change. The more you do it the easier it'll be. Just use affirmations to pre-program yourself a) That you can do it, and b) That it's easy.
Nowadays, just thinking of flying makes me take off- the intention and will do it more than anything- but I do remember years ago being like a balloon out of control. :lol:

Matthew
10th May 2006, 05:17 PM
casp911,
This is an intriguing question.
Flying in dreams is often very different than what we expect. You can experience a range of sensations that will keep you tied to the earth. Some of the most common are magnetic pulls, strong winds, thick air, downward pressure like a giant thumb, and a loss of bouyancy.
Why is it so hard to fly?
One theory is that we unconsciously feel guilty for flying. Indeed, flying represents a break from reality and also a means of escape. In your waking life, aren't there times when you wish you could fly away and leave a terrible situation behind. If you dig around in your feelings, wouldn't you feel a little guilty if you really could escape?... Guilt is gravity for the soul.
As always with dream and OBE-related activities. It is important to search inside yourself for how you feel. Sometimes I feel frustrated and must strain very hard to fly (other times I just float easily). When you experience negative emotions, look at areas in your waking life where you have these feelings, even if they are hidden under layers of denial. If you deal with these other issues, your flying will improve as well.
This is the sideways approach to tackling the problem.
Of course, there are other factors involved as well including the condition of your astral body during the dream.

Regards,
Matthew

jalef
10th May 2006, 05:54 PM
i cant remember when my last flying dream was so i can tell only from one experience where i was flying while out of body but i guess its quite the same as in dreams. i didnt focus on the flying but on where i want to fly to. its like zooming your point of view to where you focus on. it was quite hard to fly in one direction because there were all the things around disturbing me...

enoch
10th May 2006, 10:00 PM
I flew in a dream about a month back. I was in my kitchen, a spirit appeared..not a very friendly one...and the appearance of it seemed to catapult me into flight. I can't remember what it felt like, because, during the dream, it felt perfectly normal :lol: I remember waking up in a hot sweat, confused and frightened by the appearance of the spirit, and that was that.

I'd love to fly consciously.

10th May 2006, 10:08 PM
I have regular flying dreams. They usually start off as nightmares, with me climbing up a tall tower/mansion and hanging off the roof, waiting for them to "get" me. Always before I see them (whoever they are LOL!) I take off flying, soaring higher and higher until I'm out in the cosmos (or sometimes just the clouds). Either way, it's an incredible feeling. When I was younger, the dreams always started with me on the ground, trying to get up into the air. Up and then fall. Up and then fall. Guess you fly easier when you're older. :lol:

gavi dvan
11th May 2006, 02:26 PM
Nearly every time I've gone lucid I've realised it by the ability to fly, although this flying is more like in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory where they kind of swim through the air (and try to avoid the big nasty fan thing).
It's a load of fun though.

Freawaru
12th May 2006, 10:04 AM
I fly a lot, too. From big jumps to superman style. Sometimes I have some kind of vehicle. a plane, a starship, even a car, but in the majority it is a helicopter. Many flying dreams start with me running away from "enemies" (what or whoever they are I never remember) and these dreams are usually not lucid. In my lucid dreams flying is sometimes as natural as breathing and sometimes I can barely lift of. Sometimes I have to take care not to crash into some electic wires. I once crashed into a mountain while flying - but I was a gargolye in that dream and was neither hurt nor waking up ;-). And sometimes I take people with me - trying to teach them to fly (these dreams are usually non-lucid, too).

Anyone having an idea what the different vehicles might symbolize?

Fliesatnite
12th May 2006, 03:54 PM
I also fly a lot in my dreams, hence my siggy :wink:

Freawaru said:

I believe these to be imagery in accepting the possibility that you can actually fly. Once you figure out that you don't need the 'vehicle' you won't see them anymore.

For example, when I was younger I always used a launching mechanism like a trampoline, or a ferris wheel to get out. Now that I've had much practice I simply say, oh I am dreaming I can fly, and I do. As with anything practicing flying will help to gain confidence.

Freawaru
12th May 2006, 04:11 PM
I also fly a lot in my dreams, hence my siggy :wink:

;-)

Freawaru said:

I believe these to be imagery in accepting the possibility that you can actually fly. Once you figure out that you don't need the 'vehicle' you won't see them anymore.

For example, when I was younger I always used a launching mechanism like a trampoline, or a ferris wheel to get out. Now that I've had much practice I simply say, oh I am dreaming I can fly, and I do. As with anything practicing flying will help to gain confidence.[/quote]

Hm, good theory but in the first first dreams I remember from childhood I lifted always off from the balcony of my parents. Superman style. I still have those - and also Superman style from other places. The vehicle dreams only came later during aduldhood. I also have dreams where I MAKE these vehicles fly - like a car that is usually not able to. These dreams are usually all non-lucid, thought, when I am lucid I try to use a broomstick (Harry Potter, anyone?) ;-)

Fliesatnite
12th May 2006, 05:12 PM
Hm, good theory but in the first first dreams I remember from childhood I lifted always off from the balcony of my parents. Superman style. I still have those - and also Superman style from other places. The vehicle dreams only came later during aduldhood. I also have dreams where I MAKE these vehicles fly - like a car that is usually not able to. These dreams are usually all non-lucid, thought, when I am lucid I try to use a broomstick (Harry Potter, anyone?)

Perhaps when you were younger you had less inhibitions, less fear and it was just simply fun... hence the 'superman' style of flying. I still tend to think that its imagery your subconscious devises for the acceptance of flying.

But, if these dreams are non-lucid then, (this is strictly my humble opinion), vehicles in dreams are significant due to the relationship of control. Say if you were a passenger in the car, or in the back seat of the car, or in your case making the car fly. Each position represents your thoughts and feelings about a particular situation in your waking state.

If you are in the back or passenger seat and someone else is driving.. you are not in control, or don't feel as though you have control of the situation. If you are driving or making the car fly then it falls within you. It's all about perspective of control.

Does that make any sense?

Freawaru
12th May 2006, 06:11 PM
I still tend to think that its imagery your subconscious devises for the acceptance of flying.

Possible :-)

A car, though? ;-)

But, if these dreams are non-lucid then, (this is strictly my humble opinion), vehicles in dreams are significant due to the relationship of control. Say if you were a passenger in the car, or in the back seat of the car, or in your case making the car fly. Each position represents your thoughts and feelings about a particular situation in your waking state.

If you are in the back or passenger seat and someone else is driving.. you are not in control, or don't feel as though you have control of the situation. If you are driving or making the car fly then it falls within you. It's all about perspective of control.

Does that make any sense?

Yes. So far, in all my dreams it is me driving. Even the helicopters and other vehicles I do not know how to drive/fly in wake.

Seem my subconscious has a different opinion of me being in control than I do. lol. Then again, I tend to be rather happy with my life (though it could really exclude all the colds and flues - but you can't have everything I guess ;-) )

Thank you :-D

casp911
12th May 2006, 09:59 PM
And sometimes I take people with me - trying to teach them to fly.

Cool I have done that too, however most of the times, I end up showing off ("I'll let you in on a secret...look at this!" lol.

bronwyn
15th May 2006, 04:20 PM
Hi,

My latest flying dream was about a friend taking me into a helicopter. We definitely were sitting inside a vehicle that moved like a helicopter, but once we were way up there in the air (which seemed like a different universe because the buildings were way too tall to be from this earth, and they had beautiful turquoise lights on the top of the buildings)...I wondered who was driving the helicopter. I could see there was a driver that was neither me nor my friend, but the driver was invisible (yet very much there)...

so, in my mind I asked, "who is the driver?", and the answer that came to my mind was that the driver was called "the Spirit of God".

How interesting. I never had a flying dream/experience like that. Also, the driver was having fun by making us spin in a big huge semi circle way....

all energy of love was being felt....

but the love felt better, much better, than the love that humans can give.

It will be an experience I hope to never forget.

peace, blessings...