PDA

View Full Version : Quiescent Mind Meditation

SiriusTraveler
13th June 2012, 10:25 AM
Read about practicing quiescence, meaning dormant or latent, in Robert Petersons book on OBE (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1571740570/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01). I have not read about this meditation elsewhere and not about an explanation on what quiescece is like either so I tought Id wrap it up here.
I tried it out for a few minutes and it was really effective and easy to use. It suited me perfectly.

Explanation granted:
To use this method of meditation, which I find is similar to void meditation, think about a time when you saw a flash of lightning in a thunderstorm or something. The moment when you stop and listen to hear the sound of thunder, thats when your mind is quiesced. Thats the state you want to achieve. To do this pretend that you are listening for a sound, any sound of your chosing, and that you are expecting to hear it sometime in the future. Just try to observe and to be non-judgmental. Expect that this sound of yours will pop up some time in the future, just listen for it.
As with all practice - it makes perfect. The more time you spend trying this, the longer you can keep your mind quiesced.
The purpose of this is to induce OBE's according to the writer. Its the main technique he uses to induce it and he thinks its the most important skill to master.
Regardless, I think that it serves as very good void meditation even if it doesn't induce OBE.

For me it worked like a charm. I instantly knew the state of mind I was looking for and induced it. I will use this as my primary meditation for a while and se where it takes me.

CFTraveler
13th June 2012, 06:35 PM
Quiet expectation. I read about this some time ago, and found it a very hard state to achieve. I think another author (was it Moen? I forget) had another similar exercise, called "silly little finger", in which you get ready to bend the finger but don't- something similar anyway.
I find this state easier to achieve when you are already in a light trance- then you can pinpoint that moment. Or something.

dreaming90
13th June 2012, 08:19 PM
I think another author (was it Moen? I forget) had another similar exercise, called "silly little finger", in which you get ready to bend the finger but don't- something similar anyway.

Yes, it was Bruce Moen's "Silly Little Finger-Bending Exercise." You practice focusing on a finger and bending it, trying to identify the feeling of "intent." You want to experience the moment when the brain sends the signal, but the finger hasn't moved yet. Sort of like waiting for thunder, I suppose.