PDA

View Full Version : Oliver Fox (Hugh George Callaway) - Astral Book(s)

PauliEffect
19th September 2012, 12:16 PM
(This review was originally written 2012-06-18 and has gotten a minor improvement since then.)

Astral Projection: A Record of Out-of-the-Body Experiences, 1938 (1962 edition), Oliver Fox

GRADE: 10.0

What a book, what an incredible book!

I'm speechless, but once I get my composure I'll continue in a more modest manner.

The book's original title is "Astral Projection, A Record of Research" (London: Rider, 1938)
according to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Fox) and Answer.com (http://www.answers.com/topic/hugh-g-callaway), but the edition I have is from 1962, and the title
was changed.

Oliver Fox's real name was Hugh George Callaway, but I'll continue to use his taken name, O Fox,
throughout this review.

He often used the expression "out-of-the-body experience" through the book, with some
variations. I don't know if that's the first use of something which could be abbreviated to OBE,
or if that expression already was firmly established in the 1930ies, but it clearly indicates what
his book is about.

The book is not a thick one. Still Fox manages to capture almost all discoveries of all the other
great astral writers of our time, like Monroe, R Bruce, Buhlman, Muldoon etc.

Fox experiences the Astral Wind at several occasions. He encounters "monsters", he manages to
upgrade LDs to OBEs, he travels into Focus 25, to astral towns with electric trams, he channels.
He touches on almost ever subject followers of him discover and deepens their knowledge into.

It's also clear that Fox made many of his great discoveries before WWI.

Are there weaknesses then? Well, yes there are. As a poet, Fox like many other artists doesn't
have the full scientific approach of more strict individual, like Monroe.

But even compared to a more modern artistic OBE person like J Ziewe, I have to say that Fox
is above all my expectations.

The book itself - of course it is dated and Fox language is old. His knowledge about science also
seems aged compared to discoveries made in the 1930ies. Still I think you can disregard those
weaknesses in the same way as I've disregarded scientific weaknesses in Adventures Beyond the Body.

The greatness and the emotional sadness of the book are most likely the result of Oliver Fox being
a very skilled poet, having made lots of other writings.

Fox has collected so much in such a small book, including things like how to do WILD or experiencing
his eyelids become transparent. I've tried hard to see if there is anything he hasn't discovered, and can
only say that he doesn't seem to mention pre-exit vibrations or an exact description of Monroe's Park.

Much of his work he had to do alone and there was a sadness to his life.

When I came to the finish of the book, my hair stood on its ends for the last 5 pages.

Fox was a master writer.