PDA

View Full Version : Root Canals?

albinopolarbear
26th September 2012, 02:20 PM
I have been having trouble w/ an abcessed tooth. I went to the dentist and he reccomended a root canal in order to save the tooth. I have read alot of nightmarish stuff on root canals and am conflicted on whether I should have it done or have it extracted.I am kind of leaning towards extraction but I am really not to sure. Anyone have experience with this and or suggestions? Thanks

ButterflyWoman
26th September 2012, 03:07 PM
Depends on where the tooth is. I had an abscessed molar that used to drive me crazy. I actually did learn something from being in excruciating pain for several days because of that tooth, and I'm grateful for the lesson, but I was really glad to get rid of it. It was the rear molar on the bottom, and it took me a while to get used to it being gone, but other than occasionally biting my tongue or cheek while I got used to it, I don't miss that tooth AT ALL.

I do, however, miss some of my other missing teeth (I have gum disease; it's genetic, both sides of the family), and if the tooth is near the front, or visible when you smile or speak, I really recommend trying to save it. Going around with a visible gap in your teeth is uncomfortable and socially awkward, and it can affect your ability to eat certain foods (I can't eat corn on the cob at all, nor bit into an apple, even with my denture bridge in).

DarkChylde
26th September 2012, 03:07 PM
if you have an abcess you relaize that youre going to need aggressive antibiotic therapy to have the infection die down first yes?
usually when a dentist reccomends a RC to save a tooth things are pretty dire as they are.

You can have an extraction performed outright but you cant have an "energetic" remedy here ; as there is none.
Maybe some possible temporary symptomatic alleviation yes.

You'd best bite the bullet and that too without further delay

I was on a tricylic antidepressant (amitriptyline) it has very strong anticholingeric side effects (its a musacrinic inhibitor so it dries out the saliva in your mouth ; no saliva in your mouth means the bacteria aggressively attack pre-existing cavities)

My root canal was initiated but in the 2nd day of my treatment i developed a gum sinus and the Root Canal treatment was declared a failure and the dentist had to perform an immediate extraction surgery.

You see : you can't really get a level of the lay unless you get the treatment ball rolling first and the dentist "digs in" to see where the hot spots are.

I got a bridge put in after the extraction and it works fine , but since my teeth were ground to have the bridge set in , i have hot cold/hot sensitivity and have developed an odd habit of eating from the normal part of my mouth only.

Since i had paid for the root canal and it didnt take ; i got two whitening treatments for free for being such a good sport.

albinopolarbear
26th September 2012, 03:51 PM
Yew I went on Monday and got started on antibiotic and he scheduled me for root canal next Wed. The problem I have with the root canal is that I have read many conflicting reports as to whether it even safe and effective. I have read where it is virtually impossible for the dentist to get all the dead tissue out and then when he seals it the bacteria mutate and cause many other health problems, some quite serious. It seems to be a standard procedure in dentistry, but takes alot of heat as to whether it is actually safe. I have done some research as I had remembered hearing this some time ago. It is a front tooth and that is why I am somewhat hesitant on extraction. Thanks

newfreedom
26th September 2012, 08:09 PM
i felt the same albinopolarbear, i had read like you had how absolutely awful they were and had decided i would never have any root canals done. However, my holistic dentist (one of the known best in the uk) persuaded me otherwise, his view was that they now had very sophicated & thorough ways to clear away the bateria before the root canal was put in and that keeping my teeth did have other benefits too. i trusted his advice and decided to go ahead with 2 root canals, i found it very intimate having root canals done, it felt like 'going to the bottoms of my boots' .... whoooah... not particularly pleasant experience...

Not seemingly had any problems caused directly from my root canals..... but then, how would i know ? ....

i am not sorry (at the moment anyway) that i had the root canals done and saved my teeth..... mine were back molars

... i guess you just have to do what you feel is right and will be the best for you...... gudluck & wishing you the best either way with your decision xx

albinopolarbear
26th September 2012, 09:05 PM
Thanks for your replies. I have decided to go ahead w/ it. He offers a 1 year warranty on his work. So should something go wrong I can always have it extacted later. Thanks again