PDA

View Full Version : Why is life longer for some?

Donald McGlinn
1st October 2012, 01:52 PM
Why do all living things have such vastly different lifespans? Why is it that more than one species has a longer lifespan than humans? Why do some insects only last a few days and a Galapagos Giant Turtle averages 150 years?

CFTraveler
1st October 2012, 04:59 PM
Metabolism. I forgot the name (It'll come back at another time, and I'll blurt it out, and everyone will stare at me) of the term for programmed cell death, but we all come with it, and the faster turnover is, the closer you get to that final time.

ButterflyWoman
1st October 2012, 05:31 PM
Why are the wheels and cogs inside a clock different sizes? Why not just make them all the same size? Same reason.

DarkChylde
1st October 2012, 05:58 PM
genetic degradation - over time the telomeres and the double helix itself "wears out" and no amount of anti-oxidant repair can re-anneal broken strands of DNA.

CFTraveler
1st October 2012, 07:14 PM
I found apoptosis but it's not the word I had in mind. Dang! My brain's foggy atm.

Beekeeper
2nd October 2012, 12:39 PM
You choose the ideal vehicle to facilitate the lessons you chose to learn in an incarnation and you're subject to its genetic dispositions and the environmental conditions that come with where you incarnate. Maybe.

CFTraveler
2nd October 2012, 01:23 PM
I wonder if Galapagos turtles get bored.

Genesis
20th February 2013, 09:15 AM
A better question would be, why do some humans live longer than others? Luck? Fate?

eyeoneblack
26th February 2013, 11:08 AM
I wonder if Galapagos turtles get bored.

I think turtles are just kinda' stoned all the time... 8)