PDA

View Full Version : Where did majick come from?

DarkChylde
14th October 2012, 09:15 PM
im going to exlcude here the power of subconscious and empowered auto-creation or creation by means of tapping into "god resource" (the usual manifestation type of thinking we here are familiar with) so as to shine more light onto the grimoire , formulaic and ritualistic working.

first let me explain what got me thinking ; i was talking with someone and this person told me once a very long time ago when her daughter was taken fatally ill with pnuemonia all sort of modern medication had been tried but all to no avail , the girl's condition then rapidly deteriorated - this person then consulted with a witch-doctor (we have an exact word for it but it doesn't translate into english) the spiritual worker told her to take ordinary water and place it in different colored vials for certain hours each day in sunlight (like in a blue vial for 2 hours then in a red vial for 1 hour so on & so forth) and then administer the water so treated.
whatever the afflicting condition it simply vanished! (i trust the person who told me this implicitly as in there is no suspicion of a lie here).

How did the witch doctor get to know what color (vibration/frequency?) affects the water in such way that it becomes salubrious to the human condition?

I understand that with time most of what don't understand or consider occult will be explained by science , but how did humanity itself initially gain knowledge of these "procedures"?.

My guess is that our ancient ancestors well versed with AP ; and in doing so got in touch with benevolent beings who decided to give them "knowledge" ; this knowledge was then stored in what we know refer to as grimoires etc.
In the end of his book "Modern Majick" Donald Micheal says that "knowledge" itself in form of akasha and its records exits in the astral and planes beyond and that we've been accessing it (consciously or not) through out the ages , some societies or groups are more adept at it then other (Golden Dawn , Knights Templar ?) so such behaviour is essentially inherent to us (that seems to corroborate what i'm thinking).

Still so far how majickal formulas , procedures and rituals came to be (and more importantly how it was acquired by us most originally) seems a very curious thing to me.

what do you think?

IA56
15th October 2012, 04:52 AM
I do think as well too, that the majick has bean used so it has become "knowledge" like an energy cloud what you can tap into and like akasha too, the stored knowing, as all what has bean manifested stayes like an energy string and can be used when tapping into it.
I do not like rituals and I think because I want to learn pure intent and use it through my own will when pointing it to make the change or what difference I want to make.....to learn to manifest by thought.

ButterflyWoman
15th October 2012, 06:33 AM
People have always invented rituals and special things to do in order to supposedly control or change things. The underlying principles are pretty basic; the rituals are made up. They work (when they work) because of the amount of belief invested in the idea that this ritual or prayer or talisman or whatever will bring about the change sought.

There are patterns that are typical in magickal ritual (and you see them repeated in many religious rituals, as well; historically, there is little or no difference between magick and religion and they are essentially one and the same).

The most common is sympathetic magick, where you enact a ritual that is symbolically similar to that which you want to bring about. It may be something like untying a knot to cause a problem to be resolved, eating honey and putting a symbolic note or symbol in the jar and sealing it, sometimes with a candle for emphasis (fire is magic and has always been so), in order to sweeten a situation or relationship, using hot spices to get someone to go away and leave you alone (a symbolic "hot foot"), and so on.

There's also the standard "ritual to appease the god/s" which has a fairly clear pattern, generally along the lines of invoking the deity's presence, offering praise, explaining why you should get the thing you want, bargaining (i.e., if you give me this, I'll do something for you), sometimes there is an element of alignment or oneness, there is sometimes a sacrifice (this may be almost anything, including asking forgiveness and offering your humility), and there is generally a conclusion that has more praises and thanks or a statement of finality. This is seen in most religions, with variations, and in many magickal rituals, though it's not always a "deity" per se (it might be something more elemental or symbolic).

There are other patterns of magickal ritual, as well. There's evidence that ancient cave paintings were probably part of magickal ritual to ensure a good hunt, for example (the artist as magician; I've always liked that one).

Why are these patterns so universal? We're all human, and all tapping into the same collective consciousness and the same collective unconsciousness. It's archetypical understanding at work. Or you could say it's just how human brains are wired.

DarkChylde
15th October 2012, 03:37 PM
im going to exlcude here the power of subconscious and empowered auto-creation or creation by means of tapping into "god resource" (the usual manifestation type of thinking we here are familiar with) so as to shine more light onto the grimoire , formulaic and ritualistic working.

what i meant to say lets for argument's sake exclude the assumption that majick came into being by humans going about with "trial and error" (i mean to say how can an effective majickal ritual show result unless performed the right way) and that "right" way whatever it's formula doesn't seem me came out trial and error (in terms of possibility it seems improbable that we over the course of history invented procedures that we came about through our own faculties of understanding).Even if at this point in "modern" times we don't have concrete understanding of how majick works , how's it possible that people who came before us did? furthermore not having knowledge of basic science (as we do now) how did we then come to possess arcane or esoteric knowledge that worked so well that it had to be labelled as "majic" ?
As in the era that came before this one i'm assuming the concept of manifestation wasn't as popular as it is today so people went by obtaining their means by performing certain ceremonies or procedures (how did those procedures come about in the first place?).

Why are these patterns so universal? We're all human, and all tapping into the same collective consciousness and the same collective unconsciousness. It's archetypical understanding at work. Or you could say it's just how human brains are wired.
so there's no such thing as majick only manifestation? (i'm having difficulty making distinction b/w the two now :?)

ButterflyWoman
16th October 2012, 01:51 AM
My experience is that magick and manifestation are one and the same. Different words for the same thing, different paths to achieve the end result. And it's all still just an appproximation in material terms to try to explain it or define it.

This is why I no longer practice any religion (though I still quite like religions, generally speaking, and have a deep interest and appreciation for aspects of religious devotion) or magick. I can see that it's just busy work, and I can't put any belief into the rituals (though I do sometimes still enjoy some of them, I admit). The combination of education and continually expanding awareness has a way of yanking the rug out from under material belief structures (well, duh).

Bottom line is that Creation (including you and me, and everyone else) is self-creating. Things are always being created through us, whether we are conscious of it or not. The deliberate kind of manifestation or magick or whatever we want to call it is an ego-self game, and there's nothing wrong with it, but once you see it for what it is, it tends to stop being effective, and you tend to want to find more direct ways of deliberate creation. At least, that's been my experience.

DarkChylde
16th October 2012, 02:14 AM
The deliberate kind of manifestation or magick or whatever we want to call it is an ego-self game, and there's nothing wrong with it, but once you see it for what it is, it tends to stop being effective, and you tend to want to find more direct ways of deliberate creation.

agreed.

ButterflyWoman
19th October 2012, 05:46 AM
Robert just wrote this in another thread (http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/showthread.php?14663-Spells-for-clairvoyance-and-metaphysical-spiritual-advancement), but I thought it was appropriate here, so I'm copying it over:

Magic ritual is a way of focusing intention. This could also be described as focusing affirmations - same thing.

People who actually practice magic find that magic is not a shortcut. They still need to meditate and train their skills.

Magic is not a quick fix, for manifestation or spiritual development.

I think it is better to get in touch with and work with your own higher self than to work with spirits and deities, unless you undertake magical training.

All I can do is just nodnodnod. That totally sums it up.:love::clap::thumbsup:

DarkChylde
20th October 2012, 03:33 AM
i wonder if it's natural evolution for people to start out with ritual majick and end up practicing manifestion.