PDA

View Full Version : Brute Force...?

Reav3R
3rd November 2012, 01:47 PM
Greetings,

As you probably know, brute forcing the mind with random words is one of the hypnotism methods. And you've probably experienced one of those moments in which you get a terrible headache from mental overload...

Now here's my question: A perfectly silent mind is required for meditation, juat like hypnotism. Can the exact oposite be used too? Can a wildy thinking mind brute forces with as many random thoughts possible be used for meditation? I mean can we deliberately overload our mind instead of silencing it for meditation?

Was my question clear or does it need more explanation? :D

CFTraveler
3rd November 2012, 05:26 PM
I don't think you need a perfectly quiet mind for meditation- I think some of the purposes for meditation is to quiet the mind, and many disciplines want you to end up with a quiet mind, but some disciplines use a very 'busy' mind on purpose to teach control. So yes, you can deliberately 'overload' your mind as a meditation technique, but I think it all depends on the reason you are meditating.

ButterflyWoman
4th November 2012, 02:07 AM
I don't think you need a perfectly quiet mind for meditation- I think some of the purposes for meditation is to quiet the mind, and many disciplines want you to end up with a quiet mind, but many disciplines use a very 'busy' mind on purpose to teach control.
What she said. I'll also note that if a perfectly quiet mind was required for all kinds of meditation, I never would have been able to learn to meditate. Historically, I have had the noisiest, most chattery mind imaginable. It was a real cacophany in there, sometimes (much quieter now, generally, after years of practicing meditation; in my case, meditation helped to generate the quiet mind, not the other way around).

So yes, you can deliberately 'overload' your mind as a meditation technique, but I think it all depends on the reason you are meditating.
I've found glossolalia very useful for this kind of thing. It's very useful for occupying the thinking mind, while not actually giving it anything to "think" about. I'm sure other people use other methods (various mantras, for example). I've used this for breaking the cycles of chatter so my mind COULD settle down into a trance state.

These days, after years and years of meditation, I can slip into a trance pretty much at will, no matter how noisy my mind is, and just move "below" all the chatter, so I don't use any particular techniques much now, though.

DarkChylde
4th November 2012, 03:27 PM
Now here's my question: A perfectly silent mind is required for meditation, juat like hypnotism
no not really , meditation itself isn't clearing your mind or making it shut down.A lot of people do however state "mental chatter" "distracting thoughts" "self dialogue" or the combination of these as impediments to "meditation" that creates only generates confusion , there is no "accurate" method of meditating unless your'e following a very specific one from a particular type so therefore you have to go by the book so to speak.

As you probably know, brute forcing the mind with random words is one of the hypnotism methods.
I'm not really sure what you mean by "brute force" (but i do think i might have an inkling of a slight idea what the stuff is :rolleyes: )
If you mean to distract the mind by lulling into something else then what it regularly does (mental chatter in this case) then i guess yes.

And you've probably experienced one of those moments in which you get a terrible headache from mental overload...
not anymore i'm happy to say :-)

Can a wildy thinking mind brute forces with as many random thoughts possible be used for meditation?
I think your definition of meditation might be too militant and non-budging.Like I said whatever it takes for you to "get there" ASOC/trance/whatever/meditation , go for it.

I mean can we deliberately overload our mind instead of silencing it for meditation?
I'm going to illustrate my point with an example , C recommends the "ear hiss" method , but if you look into it's not silencing the mind but giving instead into the the noise of it :wink:

SoulSail
4th November 2012, 06:02 PM
C recommends the "ear hiss" method , but if you look into it's not silencing the mind but giving instead into the the noise of it :wink:

The ear hiss method is one of, if not my, my favorite. Things can get fairly interesting on that road.

Soul

CFTraveler
4th November 2012, 09:57 PM
I just edited my response because I realized I used a word that I didn't mean.

Frater.Akenu
6th November 2012, 01:17 PM
Silencing your mind should be the key element of the meditation. Overloading your mind with random words/sounds is actually the same thing, the glossolalia overload brings your conscious mind to the state where no more processing of thoughts is possible and it simply shuts and you get into the state of gnosis. This technique is used quite often by shamans of various nations, but westerners rather tend to use the other technique, silencing the mind through controlling the flow of thoughts, which in short-term is less effective but in long-term it brings better results and more stable mind states.