PDA

View Full Version : Disorientation as a type of sensory deprivation

Tom
29th June 2005, 07:11 PM
The term "witch's cradle" originally referred to putting a suspected witch in a bag hanging from a tree. After spinning around for a while, there would be unpleasant side effects. The name was kept, but the purpose has changed and the method has been altered. The idea is to be held in place in a standing position, and suspended in the air. Random movement is then applied. The conflicting sensations trick the systems which use the muscles to avoid falling over. The overload accomplishes the same sort of effect as sensory deprivation, by blurring the awareness of where the body's boundaries are. It has been a long time since I originally read about this, and I can't find much on it now with Google.

violetsky
30th June 2005, 02:56 AM
Dear Tom,

This is definitely a wild way to get an OBE! But interesting. :D

Robert discusses the plank method as one of many ways to induce OBE. People seem to find one method better for them over another so always good to try a variety. For those not acquainted with the plank method, very basically you imagine a thick plank board that is as tall as your body and imagine it rotating around your body.

Very Best Regards,
violetsky

Quantitativefool
4th July 2005, 12:26 AM
Hmmm.....I wonder if anyone would be willing to try that and post about thier experience/s..........not I.

-Stu