PDA

View Full Version : Overcoming failed exits--my strategy.

SoulSail
8th November 2012, 07:06 PM
I've been meaning to post this for some time now, hope it helps someone out there.

Fear, startling, and unease with letting go of conscious control form some of the most common problems for new Astral Projection practitioners. Predictably, these mind states and reactions often arise during exit attempts, just as soon as exit phenomena begin. Exit symptoms can be pleasant, or not, but any successful explorer can tell you how he or she learned to anticipate and appreciate them in time.

When that sinking, slipping away sensation overtakes you, what’s your response?

My last exit attempt (three days ago) was thrown off when I felt as though I had been hit with lightening. Halfway out and then a bang followed by a shard of light that split longwise up my right side. I thought I'd experienced most of the hoopla exits had to offer, and having gone my merry way, was thrown way off by this one.

The whole matter was so intense, my heart naturally began to race.

It's not uncommon for that nasty "flinch" response to kick in when the game gets interesting and you're halfway out, or slipping into The Void, or seeing entities and such. After all, the conscious mind has a job to do: keep you awake, logical, safe, and grounded. That’s when it calls the nurse for a bump of adrenaline to bring you back to alert state. You can almost hear that brain up there saying, “Wow, that was close. I almost fell into a hole again. Let’s make sure this nonsense stops for good. And to be sure, we’re going to schedule an automatic, adrenalin releasing, stimulus and response alert.”

In short, too many flinches on your way out and a pattern of failed attempts quickly sets in. Worse, your future efforts are being set up without your permission.

I learned to beat my brain at its own game by using its game against it. It’s a practice, a nice one, and it goes like this:

1. Whenever I relax, feel good, feel safe, or experience a positive emotion at any time, I mentally repeat the word “steady.” The word is not important. I kept it simple and direct, but words such as “easy,” or “free now,” will work as well. I recommend against creating a physical cue that involves touch, because I don’t want my sensory gates going online during an exit. I want my body lost and gone and gone to my brain. Just work on the mental word cue.

2. When I practice meditation, the deep stuff that sinks me into no man’s land, I affirm again—“steady.”

3. I form a mental picture that pairs the word to the state. This is more of an art than science, you’ll know when you have it. It’s all about telling your body to chill the hell out when you drop your magic word, either mentally or verbally.

4. That’s all there is to it. Shampoo, rinse, repeat. If you’re losing exits to a fear response, practice this technique for a few weeks and you’ll have gained a decent countermeasure.

So how does this prevent failed exits? Simple. Gently drop your magic word on the floor the next time your controlling, conscious mind is trying to hijack your exit and watch him back off.

Shampoo, rinse, repeat.

Soul