PDA

View Full Version : Stephen LaBerge (& Howard Rheingold) - Books

PauliEffect
18th November 2012, 12:54 AM
I use a grade from 0 - 10 (10 is the best/highest) on the books.

Stephen LaBerge became Ph.D. in psychophysiology 1980. Rheingold is a writer among others.

Lucid Dreaming: The Power of Being Awake & Aware in Your Dreams, 1985, Stephen LaBerge

GRADE: 7.0

This is the first of LaBerge's books. Here he describes how he managed to be
the second researcher in the world who managed to get a dream sign from a
person in a lucid dream (LD).

The first person who succeeded with getting a dreaming person giving a dream
sign from a lucid dream was the British scientist Keith Hearne in 1975. Hearne
registered the LDer Alan Worsley moving his eyes 8 times in a pre-decided way,
while sleeping (see Waggoner's book).

LaBerge managed to convince the scientific community that LDs are in fact possible,
something many scientists at the time objected to. LaBerge had difficulties getting
his findings published in a scientific paper until 1981.

LaBerge writes in his book about the history of LDs and makes reference to several
authors and scientists on the matter of LDs.

LaBerge also describes REM and NREM sleep and some other factors which were
important for scientifically detecting LDs. The book contains a lot of stories from
people in LDs and how they perceive their LDs. LaBerge also describes some things
about various sleep patterns like alpha and delta sleep.

I would have like LaBerge tell us a little more details about the various dream stages,
and their connection to REM/NREM sleep but perhaps there a better books for that?

LaBerge also describes his MILD and WILD methods in this book.

The last part of the book touches on NDEs and OBEs. LaBerge doesn't believe in OBEs
and think they should be regarded as LDs and called Out-of-Body-Sensation (OBS).

Surprisingly LaBerge believes in something he calls 'dream telepathy', but also states
that there is a need for more research before it can be established as a fact. LaBerge
even refines his concept of 'dream telepathy' and states that the telepathy between
dreamers may only be sharing of the 'dream plot' and not a full dream telepathy and
not a full presence in the other person's dream.

The book is a heavy and sometimes boring read, and also at some times a little unstructured,
which lowers my grade. But I still think it is important and if you're interested in LDs, and
certainly if you're interested in LDs from scientific perspective this could be the book for you.

The books contains a very short section on nightmares and how to overcome them by facing
your fear or by sending something which resembles PUL (http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/showthread.php?14113-PUL-Retrievals-Guides).

Somehow I think the book is just a little too fuzzy at some sections and I would have wanted
something more from a scientist.

Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming, 1990, Stephen LaBerge & Howard Rheingold

GRADE: 7.5

This book was written by LaBerge and Rheingold together. It is a similar heavy and somewhat
boring read as LaBerge's first book was. But, the big advantage is that the book contains a
lot of methods for inducing LDs.

The methods are put inside small boxes so they can clearly be read. LaBerge's MILD method
is re-stated here in a slightly different and perhaps improved form.

The book contains numerous experiences from LDers and from other authors on the subject
of LDs.

What's interesting is that some of the methods cited for inducing LDs are in fact methods for
inducing OBEs. But LaBerge states clearly that there doesn't exist anything like an OBE, it's
all various forms of LDs. And he 'proves' that OBEs are LDs by various arguments which mostly
are related to Alice-in-Wonderland-Effect or reality-fluctuations, which invalidates the OBE:er
any possibility to perform the look-at-the-hidden-playing-card experiment.

The books contains various sections on nightmares and how to overcome them by facing
your fear or by sending something which resembles PUL.

The book also contains some methods for physical healing and improving skills in sports through
the use of LDs.

A little surprising is that there is no mentioning about 'dream telepathy' in this book.

Again there is a section about NDEs and some small other subjects. Some small parts of
the book are exact repetitions of sections from LaBerge's first book.

I've seen that some readers think this book is worse than the previous by LaBerge, but from my
point of view this is a slightly better book and more clearly helps the reader with various exercises,
perhaps the book became this good because Rheingold was one of the authors?

Maybe someone very interested into LDs will give this book a higher grade?

Lucid Dreaming: A Concise Guide to Awaken in Your Dreams and in Your Life, CD included, 2004, Stephen LaBerge

GRADE: 5.0

This is a poor book of only 70 pages, and I am not clear why LaBerge wrote it. I would
also say that more than 40 of those pages are directly copied from LaBerge's previous
book(s).

This book claims to help you induce LDs, but I'm not sure it will help me. There is a CD
included with the book but I'm unsure what's the purpose of the CD, after having
listened to it. I compare it to the HumanPlus (H+) Hemi-Sync CDs I have and must say
that LaBerge's CD is poor in comparison.

The most important question on the CD is "Who is aware?", but I got little clue why
LaBerge repeated that question. Maybe I get the answer if I LD a lot of times?

I would only recommend this book if you give very high grades to the other LaBerge
books and you love his style of writing.

Korpo
19th November 2012, 12:36 PM
The first book I stopped reading somewhere in the middle. It also lessened my desire to experience lucid dreams.

greytraveller
19th November 2012, 09:14 PM
Hi PauliEffect
I have read "Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming" and rate it at about 8.75 to 9.0. It is a Very good book explaining Lucid Dreams (LDs) and how to induce them. The one thing that I did not appreciate was that LaBerge treated OBEs as no more than extensions of LDs. So, IMO, if all that you want to accomplish is to learn how to lucid dream then his books are fine. Yet if you want to go beyond LDs into OBEs and APs then it is better to bypass all his works. This is because LaBerge's books will eventually create a mental confusion by treating OBEs, APs and LDs as all the same phenomena.

Regards
Grey

heliac
20th November 2012, 12:44 AM
Surprisingly LaBerge believes in something he calls 'dream telepathy', but also states
that there is a need for more research before it can be established as a fact. LaBerge
even refines his concept of 'dream telepathy' and states that the telepathy between
dreamers may only be sharing of the 'dream plot' and not a full dream telepathy and
not a full presence in the other person's dream.

I haven't read the book but i agree with what this says. I've had one planned shared dream that was quite interesting and lhas led me to believe that there was something going on there more than due to chance. Shared dreams are not telepathy in that you are reading someone's mind with some kind of special supernatural power but rather information is passed along to each other through a shared dream interface. There is interpreting going on and the interpretation of information passed between two individuals can be quite silly but makes sense once you hash things out.

I believe that the less interpreting, the better and clearer the information is understood. Robert has successfully found areas of my dreamspace that i have created for myself and has been able to describe areas of the dreamspace with such detail that it really really makes me wonder how far we can go with something like dream telepathy. It's difficult to test these sort of things though :(

CFTraveler
20th November 2012, 02:04 PM
Robert has successfully found areas of my dreamspace that i have created for myself and has been able to describe areas of the dreamspace with such detail that it really really makes me wonder how far we can go with something like dream telepathy. Would you elaborate? (Or link?) If you want to.

heliac
22nd November 2012, 11:09 PM
Would you elaborate? (Or link?) If you want to.

I had been making "rooms of awareness" through visualization. In one of the rooms i had created anchors related to what the room represented to me and Robert was able to catch the description of the room literally as well as something that was in the room that only i would have known existed there.

It seemed very random at the time and i didn't acknowledge what had happened because i didn't even think something like that was possible.

Another instance of shared dreaming, not involving Robert, was a planned meeting on the moon. In this case one of the participants reported flying in a vehicle with me. The vehicle didn't have enough juice to make it to the moon and i had advised in the dream to use coal as a form of fuel. The same night this dream was reported i had been studying coal, immediately before bed.