PDA

View Full Version : A weird board censorship problem

ButterflyWoman
30th November 2012, 11:33 PM
Lately we've been getting an absolute army of spammers here. Users rarely see any of the posts because the board has an excellent spam filtering system and all the posts go into the moderation queue, but there are scores of them here daily. And, lately, a good many of them have been advertising a certain style of sheepskin boots firt made popular in Australia (I don't want to use the name because I don't want search engines hitting this thread with the term).

So, last night, after manually deleting I don't know how many spam posts and having to go in to the user profile and delete the URLs they put in their profile (because banning them doesn't appear to remove it), I got the brilliant idea that if I put the word in the board censor options, any URLs with it would be void. Ta da! Clever, yeah?

Well, no. Because as it turns out, I put the three letter phrase in the file the wrong way and now the board is censoring completely normal words that use those letters. D'oh. It's already caused some confusion in a couple of threads, for which I apologise sincerely. Mea culpa! (And this is what I get for trying to be clever, yeah?)

I have gone in and changed the entry in the censor file so it won't keep happening, but if you have a problem with it happening in any of your posts, just edit the post and change the word manually and it'll be fine now.

Again, my apologies for the mess up. I had good intentions, but we all know which road is paved with those.... :oops::redface::twisted:

CFTraveler
1st December 2012, 04:17 PM
So that's what happened with susan's posts.

ButterflyWoman
2nd December 2012, 01:57 AM
Yes. And I apologised to her directly and fixed the thread. D'oh! :oops: