PDA

View Full Version : Extreme sports: Awakening

Energize
11th March 2013, 08:56 AM
Hi Folks. From my discussions with many of you on this forum (and reading books), I've become aware of a kind of 'enlightenment' or 'awakening' (the only kind?) that can occur to people, and I find it fascinating. I'd like to ask questions and get some discussion about it if I may.

Here's what little I think I know. This enlightenment (or consciousness transformation or awakening) is basically a stripping away of the ego, or perhaps a better way of putting it, the ego becomes a mere tool of the emerging core consciousness of the person. A core consciousness that was always present in the background, and is intrinsically a part of the greater consciousness or 'Source'.

This process can be gradual or sudden, and can be achieved by various mystical/spiritual practices, including meditation and Kundalini awakening techniques (or even trauma). The effect of the awakening can range from unsettling to extremely disturbing, as the ego identity gives way to the greater consciousness. There is usually a period of re-adjustment that can be as long as several years or even decades.

The emergent 'raw' consciousness sees everything in life from an often radically new perspective, much different to the previous ego-identity consciousness. On a grand scale, it includes insights as to the nature of Source consciousness, including the lack of any dualistic features, such as light/love and darkness/evil. There is also a complete revision of the individual's mental associations and priorities.

Have I correctly summarised the basics so far?

CFTraveler
11th March 2013, 12:28 PM
You've described a way to get to it, but it can happen without trying.

Energize
11th March 2013, 12:28 PM
Well, I couldn't wait...had to write some more, heh heh. Can't stop thinking about this conundrum. I know I'm a hell of a long way off some kind of awakening (hey, then again, maybe not if it's already in each of us right?), but living from ego illusion or not, I'd like some help exploring this intellectually. Yes, I know it can't easily be grasped intellectually, but it's all I can go by at this point.

I gather from the way people talk about this awakening business, it is supposed to give you extra insight into the way things work. Insights into the nature of the Source, of reality, and yourself as a chunk of source.

The over-riding insight seems to be that everything's an illusion, right? Every person is just an ego and therefore not real, every judgement of good and bad is a dualistic illusion, even love itself is just an illusion. All constructs.

Source doesn't 'care' about anything, just exists. Source seems like a giant impersonal digital program. Running through routines and learning information by experience. Experience gained by illusory constructs like people. As if running some kind of complex, military simulation program. Although I prefer the analogy of finger puppets, heh heh.

Source doesn't care about good or bad, happiness or agony, compassion or malice, people, or in fact anything at all, because it just simply exists in a kind of neutral limbo.

Man this bends the mind. The closest I've read to this is perhaps "My Big T.O.E." by Thomas Campbell (any of you read it?). Thomas was one of the original members of the Monroe Institute, and took part (as a scientist and as a participant) in research and experiments on OBE's and stuff. I haven't totally finished his three part book yet. He does present 'Source' consciousness in a similar way. He describes Source as kind of, well, semi-conscious (that was my impression). It evolves like nature on Earth evolves - energy seeking the paths of least resistance. What works stays, what doesn't atrophies and falls away.

If this is close to the truth, then that might explain why love exists in a universe created by a Source that doesn't 'care'...because love as an energy is more efficient than malice and self destruction.

Here's another thing that has occurred to me; if Source doesn't care (just exists), then love in the universe may be creations of the smaller points of consciousness - us. Source may not be fully aware, but maybe it's us, the little creatures made of Source material, that are responsible for the juicy goodness. Generated from different planes, and different levels of evolved souls. Maybe when channeled spirits, NDE'ers, and between-life-hypnosis-regressors talk about experiencing a massive powerhouse of love, it is created by the Source's many little (and not-so-little) creatures.

CFTraveler
11th March 2013, 12:43 PM
I've read most of it. But no, I wouldn't describe it that way. I normally don't speak much about this (there was a time where I did, but don't anymore, there doesn't seem to be much to say about it). However, I'll share what I think I know:
"Illusion" doesn't mean something isn't there, it means it's not what it seems, and what it seems is often misunderstood.
A computer program is 'form' and form is fleeting, so it's just one more way of using illusion to describe 'it', whatever it is.
Source is everything, and therefore, as it expresses as you, can care. However, it doesn't mean that 'caring' isn't fleeting, since all expression is information (in 'form' ation) therefore illusion.
So, it just is. Or is it?
That's why I don't talk about it.
Peace.
;)

eyeoneblack
11th March 2013, 12:51 PM
Have I correctly summarised the basics so far?

Sort of but imo you are still relating in a Western (Christian/Islam) perspective. The idea that there is Source and Else From Source presupposes a God and a separation. The ego is an illusion not a fall from oneness or the like. Members here are not Kaballist, that I have met, anyway.
I suggest, rather than taking what other people say ABOUT it, figure it out for yourself. Dion Fortune's "The Mystical Qabalah" is a great source for the beginning of the study of Creation.

But I want to emphasize Butterflywoman and CFT know whereof they speak. Others do also, but it's whereof YOU speak that matters. :) You don't have to lose your loving, forgiving God - you just won't think of it that way anymore. You can still understand and appreciate people of the personal god, but from a higher vantage point.

There, I hope I haven't offended ?????! (Pause: should I hit 'Post Quick Reply'? Hmmmm)

ButterflyWoman
11th March 2013, 12:56 PM
You've described a way to get to it, but it can happen without trying.
I am of the current opinion that it is NEVER something any one ego-self can "attain". It's just not something that an ego-self has the power to do. And it is ALWAYS spontaneous, even if ego-self has a lot of things it so boldly and proudly "did" to "achieve" something or other. Fact is, if ego still thinks it has achieved something, nothing has been achieved.

eyeoneblack
11th March 2013, 01:12 PM
When I started my journey, I was 30ish, I was so sincere, so willing to sacrifice for the ultimate prize - union with God. Over the next few/many years I noticed everything I thought I loved fall away from me until I ended up with nothing. I had a little encouragement along the way, very little, but enough to keep me going. Until, I realized I had lost it all.
Then a little light appeared and i began to trust a universal law of true faith and understanding. Saw it working over and over again and began to re-invent my self.
Point is, for me it was a long and arduous time of tears. No easy thing.

Energize
11th March 2013, 01:51 PM
Thanks for your helpful replies, they have clarified much.

CFT: "Illusion" doesn't mean something isn't there, it means it's not what it seems, and what it seems is often misunderstood." I have never thought of the oft-bandied word illusion like this. Not necessarily something fake and worthless, just not what it seems. This is an important insight for me. Thanks for 'coming out of retirement' to share about this subject!

EOB: No way have you offended eyeoneblack. I enjoy reading your posts. My 'ego' isn't bruised...or should I say there is no ego to bruise heh heh! I am going to try to figure it out for myself, but I usually tackle things from an intellectual perspective first - despite its obvious limitations. I've put The Mystical Qabalah on my Amazon Kindle wishlist.
I like the idea of not losing my loving, forgiving God. Not sure what you mean when you say "You can still understand and appreciate people of the personal god, but from a higher vantage point." Can you elaborate?

BFW: I wonder if "I" need to try and do anything to become aware? Although I feel drawn to it ('awakening'), I'm reluctant to let go of everything and pursue a path that could potentially devastate the structure of my life. I wonder if it's even possible to have such an experience and still function within the world, and not require a long recovery/stabilising period.

Interesting thing is, that since I've been deeply pondering this issue, I've had subtle feelings of mental vertigo (not physical vertigo). It's like, becoming more aware of awareness itself, and considering that everything I think is me and the world is not what it seems, leads to a kind of hyper alertness or something. I spend most of my time just accepting the 'norms' of life, and that to consider it not present (or considering what's just beneath the surface), creates an odd feeling of anticipation. I'm not saying I'm on the edge of a transformation or anything, just that thinking in these terms maybe opens up new perspectives, and maybe sets some things in motion.

CFTraveler
11th March 2013, 02:38 PM
FIWIW, you don't have to 'let go' of anything -a realization is not something you do- it just happens.

Eyeswideopen
11th March 2013, 03:15 PM
BFW: I wonder if "I" need to try and do anything to become aware? Although I feel drawn to it ('awakening'), I'm reluctant to let go of everything and pursue a path that could potentially devastate the structure of my life. I wonder if it's even possible to have such an experience and still function within the world, and not require a long recovery/stabilising period.

I am enjoying reading your thread Energize, when reading the above it reminds me of Eckhart Tolle when he explains that the ego is made up of structural ego and content ego. It's the content we need to loose in order to find the stillness within. We keep the structural which enables us to continue to participate as a being in ordinary daily life. I was often worrying what I would do if I lost my ego, how would I function but the functional ego remains. Something like that.

Frater.Akenu
11th March 2013, 04:15 PM

Yeah, many people are scared of that for the same reasons... Point is that your Ego is not your real Self and by getting rid of the false Self you are not destroying your life, in fact you are improving it. You might quit your job, truly indeed, but in that case there would be something much better stored for you.

CFTraveler
11th March 2013, 04:46 PM
I suggest both EWO and Energize look into the philosophy/theory of Buddhism- the Buddha figured out he didn't have to do anything to reach enlightenment- enlightenment is not letting go of worldly things but your attachment to them, and to let go of your attachment to them is to realize their existence is less than 'real'.
The western mind tends to tell you that you have to 'do' something- but realization is a process that happens when you figure out what it's all about (or think you do), and you may go through the motions of 'defeating' the ego (which btw, is ego reaffirming) or doing this or that to 'detach' from the transitory- or you can just watch it come and go, realizing it's all just sensations that don't last.
I'm just sayin'.

CFTraveler
11th March 2013, 04:47 PM
I'm now I'm leaving this thread- I see the trap I set for myself in it.

eyeoneblack
11th March 2013, 06:01 PM
I like the idea of not losing my loving, forgiving God.
Well, that's why it's not for 'sissies', because actually you do, just you respect those who can't let go.

And EWO same goes. Meditation replaces praying, because there is no ONE to pray to. Katzinzakis (sp) book "The Saviours of God" makes the point that we ARE god and He is not Another, but us. Not sure I recommend that book, too many years ago that I read it.

Enlightment or Clear Sight may be like the overnight succuess in music - it only seems that way.

These are just my personal thoughts and the road along the way is fraught with challenges. Maybe others don't see it that, but I'll warn you there are a lot of 'talking heads' in new age lit.

eyeoneblack
11th March 2013, 09:08 PM
Butterflywoman, we've had our disputes, but would you deny that the road to 'freedom' wasn't paved with loses and tears?
If you happen to read this....

ButterflyWoman
11th March 2013, 10:50 PM
Butterflywoman, we've had our disputes, but would you deny that the road to 'freedom' wasn't paved with loses and tears?
I deny nothing, but I have and continue to observe that it's a very personalised process, unique to the individual. I don't think everyone's path necessarily leads through agony. Most of the time, yeah, probably, but that's because most people hold a lot of beliefs and ideas that make it so, that make it necessary. The shedding of those beliefs and attachments, due to their nature, is unpleasant for a lot of people. But I don't think it has to be universal. And pain doesn't have to equal suffering (which is one of the things I had to learn), but suffering doesn't automatically lead anywhere.

ButterflyWoman
11th March 2013, 11:00 PM
I wonder if "I" need to try and do anything to become aware?
About the only thing you CAN do is surrender, i.e., get over yourself and get out of the way. :)

Although I feel drawn to it ('awakening'), I'm reluctant to let go of everything and pursue a path that could potentially devastate the structure of my life. I wonder if it's even possible to have such an experience and still function within the world, and not require a long recovery/stabilising period.
If it's going to happen, it's going to happen. You can't stop it or prevent it. All you can do is make it take longer and be more difficult.

I can't imagine how there could NOT be an adjustment period. It's like spending your entire life bound by gravity and suddenly finding yourself weightless. Navigation is entirely different, familiar ways of doing things no longer work, reference points are removed or changed.

I don't think it necessarily has to be traumatic, though. I've said this many times, but it's a very personal, individualised process, based on your own unique beliefs, thought patterns, and reality.

It's like, becoming more aware of awareness itself
A better approximation is that Awareness becomes aware of Itself, through the persona (point of view) that is "you".

Eyeswideopen
11th March 2013, 11:49 PM
Oh my god there is so much to learn and unlearn. I am just going to go with the flow. Fly as high in the sky and check in here daily. :D

eyeoneblack
12th March 2013, 12:05 AM
I said
Butterflywoman, we've had our distputes, but would you deny that the road to 'freedom' wasn't paved with losses and tears?
And you said:
I deny nothing,
I guess I should be glad of that. :)
As for the rest of your thoughts, right on.!!! :P

Energize
12th March 2013, 12:39 AM
EWO: I only stumbled on Eckart Tolle recently (last few months), and I've really enjoyed watching him on youtube. The way he presents the concepts is in really simple terms, easy to understand. Great insights for me. I especially like the way a playful sense of humour is always with him - like a mischievous garden gnome heh heh! That thing he does where he looks around pensively, mimicking the ego mind always cracks me up. I'll try and track down the one about content ego vs structural ego. I don't think I've seen that one.

Yeah, many people are scared of that for the same reasons... Point is that your Ego is not your real Self and by getting rid of the false Self you are not destroying your life, in fact you are improving it... Hi Frater.Akenu! That's very encouraging indeed.

I'm now I'm leaving this thread- I see the trap I set for myself in it. Quick, somebody grab CFTraveler, she's getting away! :lol:

About the only thing you CAN do is surrender, i.e., get over yourself and get out of the way. http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif
Okay then, I surrender. :-)

ButterflyWoman
12th March 2013, 02:04 AM
Oh my god there is so much to learn and unlearn.
Mostly unlearn. You do get to a point where you understand there are no questions, nothing to learn, nothing to do, and everything is optional. Like I said, disorienting. ;)

ButterflyWoman
12th March 2013, 02:06 AM
Okay, then. Buckle your seatbelt. It's going to be a hell of a ride. ;)

newfreedom
10th January 2014, 09:15 PM
I can't imagine how there could NOT be an adjustment period. It's like spending your entire life bound by gravity and suddenly finding yourself weightless. Navigation is entirely different, familiar ways of doing things no longer work, reference points are removed or changed.

Seven & a half years on, i am still in this 'adjustment period', i have still not fathomed out how to continuously navigate in a better way. I know the potential to do so exists, as i have experienced this many times. However it seems the mental understandings of the 'how to' i am still learning /working out & also the capabilities of the 'how to' are seemingly needing more practice to embed, so as to become more readily available for me to use continuously.

Barbara Marciniak & the P.'s say that one of the reasons we are here is to 'learn how to use our biological computer'

This is what i am still busily focused /working on more than 7 yrs. later

John Sorensen
17th March 2014, 05:39 AM
EWO: I only stumbled on Eckart Tolle recently (last few months), and I've really enjoyed watching him on youtube. The way he presents the concepts is in really simple terms, easy to understand. Great insights for me. I especially like the way a playful sense of humour is always with him - like a mischievous garden gnome heh heh! That thing he does where he looks around pensively, mimicking the ego mind always cracks me up. I'll try and track down the one about content ego vs structural ego. I don't think I've seen that one.

Hi Frater.Akenu! That's very encouraging indeed.

Quick, somebody grab CFTraveler, she's getting away! :lol:

*If enlightenment is somewhere to get to, then you will never get there

*If the world as we know it is insanity, awakening is a RETURN to sanity, nothing is gained, everything non-essential is lost

*The western mind often has trouble with the erroneous ideas put forth by eastern gurus and such throughout the previous decades, because many of these "gurus" were charismatic, people choose to believe them, even when they are talking ♥♥♥♥

*No man nor god holds a copyright on "truth"

*There is nothing to be saved from, and nowhere to go

*What we call "love" in our mind is a mental construct

*What we FEEL in our body is energy, without any labels, or philosophy

This intelligent energy binds together all of existence, beats your heart, makes cells divide and grow, makes the cows milk flow to its calf, collapses stars, grows all the flowers, births new worlds, binds everything in material creation, exists within space and time while simultaneous existing outside of space and time, and it exists whether people "believe" in it or not.

*If you were to imagine a giant living organism, you might consider yourself an individual cell in the body of that larger organism, an essential part of the whole, nothing would exist outside of that organism, for it literally is everything that exists, and contains all possibilities within it, while it itself may have other probable selves, that it may or may not be aware of, as it it not finished and done, but grows as we grow, and learns as we learn.

*From the larger organisms point of view, you are free to pay attention to it, or ignore it

*Within you is a personal communication mechanism between you and the larger organism, as there is in all life, the cells in your body are talking to you now, but do you listen?

*What is the one rule/quality of all life? Growth.

These are my opinions, and they may be wrong.

IA56
17th March 2014, 06:24 AM
*If enlightenment is somewhere to get to, then you will never get there

*If the world as we know it is insanity, awakening is a RETURN to sanity, nothing is gained, everything non-essential is lost

*The western mind often has trouble with the erroneous ideas put forth by eastern gurus and such throughout the previous decades, because many of these "gurus" were charismatic, people choose to believe them, even when they are talking ♥♥♥♥

*No man nor god holds a copyright on "truth"

*There is nothing to be saved from, and nowhere to go

*What we call "love" in our mind is a mental construct

*What we FEEL in our body is energy, without any labels, or philosophy

This intelligent energy binds together all of existence, beats your heart, makes cells divide and grow, makes the cows milk flow to its calf, collapses stars, grows all the flowers, births new worlds, binds everything in material creation, exists within space and time while simultaneous existing outside of space and time, and it exists whether people "believe" in it or not.

*If you were to imagine a giant living organism, you might consider yourself an individual cell in the body of that larger organism, an essential part of the whole, nothing would exist outside of that organism, for it literally is everything that exists, and contains all possibilities within it, while it itself may have other probable selves, that it may or may not be aware of, as it it not finished and done, but grows as we grow, and learns as we learn.

*From the larger organisms point of view, you are free to pay attention to it, or ignore it

*Within you is a personal communication mechanism between you and the larger organism, as there is in all life, the cells in your body are talking to you now, but do you listen?

*What is the one rule/quality of all life? Growth.

These are my opinions, and they may be wrong.

Hi John,
I do think/feel very much as you do, but if we look at the "lables" we give to fenomen is where we differ a bit.
You call the label LOVE for a mental structure...so what do you want to call the "healing" energy...??
We have to give labels to be able to communicate, but we have to peal away the beliefsystem´s to get down to the original energy, but still we have to use label´s to be able to communitcate, or how should we do to be understood what we are talking about otherwise??
LOVE is for me the organism what we are living in as a cell...LOVE is what many call GOD in the infinity. Not the god´s in duality, they are premonition about what is the outermost everything the real LOVE.
And I will say as you do....this is my opinion, and I might be wrong :-)

Love
ia

John Sorensen
17th March 2014, 11:15 AM
Hi John,
I do think/feel very much as you do, but if we look at the "lables" we give to fenomen is where we differ a bit.
You call the label LOVE for a mental structure...so what do you want to call the "healing" energy...??
We have to give labels to be able to communicate, but we have to peal away the belief system´s to get down to the original energy, but still we have to use label´s to be able to communicate, or how should we do to be understood what we are talking about otherwise??
LOVE is for me the organism what we are living in as a cell...LOVE is what many call GOD in the infinity. Not the god´s in duality, they are premonition about what is the outermost everything the real LOVE.
And I will say as you do....this is my opinion, and I might be wrong :-)

Love
ia

Well, I'll say what human ego calls "love" is often attachment, a wanting,rather than giving.

The resonant frequency of the human organism (which is measurable in electro-magnetic terms) that promotes cellular growth, good health, strong immunity, feelings of bliss and joy, and is directly influenced by our thoughts, feelings, emotions and actions, I would perhaps call love.

My point is that it is an internal energy state, our natural state if you will, where we function at our best, but any words are a concept, and I often find people do not actually know the frequency of love, only "thoughts about it".

Greg Braden actually refers to it as "The Science of Compassion", and traces it back for over 2000 years in various religious and spiritual traditions.

To me, love is what you radiate outward to the world, and to everyone you encounter, it is not (for me) a "wanting" or asking for anything, it is a choice and a way to live and practice.

Love never makes you feel like anything "less" or "broken", love makes you feel expanded, joyful, even in the worst moments of life, when we accept whatever is going on, we have love for ourselves, our planet and our human family.

From my perspective, love is not something we "do", it is what we are, it is the core of our very self, free of all thoughts, concepts and time.

The love of Spirit flows through all of us when we allow it, and is not dependant on anything in the material world.

IA56
17th March 2014, 11:29 AM
Well, I'll say what human ego calls "love" is often attachment, a wanting,rather than giving.

The resonant frequency of the human organism (which is measurable in electro-magnetic terms) that promotes cellular growth, good health, strong immunity, feelings of bliss and joy, and is directly influenced by our thoughts, feelings, emotions and actions, I would perhaps call love.

My point is that it is an internal energy state, our natural state if you will, where we function at our best, but any words are a concept, and I often find people do not actually know the frequency of love, only "thoughts about it".

Greg Braden actually refers to it as "The Science of Compassion", and traces it back for over 2000 years in various religious and spiritual traditions.

To me, love is what you radiate outward to the world, and to everyone you encounter, it is not (for me) a "wanting" or asking for anything, it is a choice and a way to live and practice.

Love never makes you feel like anything "less" or "broken", love makes you feel expanded, joyful, even in the worst moments of life, when we accept whatever is going on, we have love for ourselves, our planet and our human family.

From my perspective, love is not something we "do", it is what we are, it is the core of our very self, free of all thoughts, concepts and time.

The love of Spirit flows through all of us when we allow it, and is not dependant on anything in the material world.

Thank you John for being so clear...I now see why I get so dissapointed because in my world LOVE is not a want...it is freeing you and giving you courage and self confidence....I am never using LOVE in wanting way, because as you say wanting is not LOVE it is controlling or what ever minimizing of a individual....
And a big YES to ...LOVE is not we "do" it is what we are....totally agreed.

Love
ia