PDA

View Full Version : Software for conversion of english speech to english text

-asalantu-
8th June 2013, 04:16 AM
¡Hi, all..!

I'm not familiar at time of understanding english speech.

Robert Bruce's videos at Youtube are subject of my interest and I able of to extract (through SoundForge 10.0 software) speech under the .wav format.

¿There is some online resource (or some Voice Recognition software downloadable and installable) able of to convert english speech to english text?

Thank you very much,
Ángel

barnowl
8th June 2013, 05:04 AM
I was going to say that you could click the "CC" button for "closed captioning" on youtube videos which uses a speech-to-text feature....but I just tried it on a Robert Bruce video and it was way off. I suspect this is from his thick Australian accent which I have a little trouble with at times as well, so you're going to need an english speech-to-text program that understands Australian accents (forgive me if it's New Zealand or something, not super familiar with the different dialects down there).

Here's an example of what I mean. Here's a snippet transcript of The Clock Exercise To Improve Memory given by youtube:

He left off
or person whitfield multi challenge
forms for the family
and this must challenge gays
to include you want for ten
meds
that's impossible and if you can order
you forty
criticial dicaprio roar

versus what he's really saying:

G'day folks
I'm Robert Bruce with your monthly challenge
for the spiritual family.
And this month's challenge is
to clear your mind for ten
minutes
Now that sounds impossible
and if you go at it like a bull to the gate
you'll find
it incredibly difficult if you about it the wrong way

Various parts of English speaking countries around the world have different accents that are completely different such as the English, Scottish, Australian, Americans, etc. I know here in the US people with accents have a hard time using the SIRI on their iphones when they have accents from outside of the US. So you'll probably want a voice recognition software program that's Australian based.

-asalantu-
8th June 2013, 01:09 PM
¡Hi, barnowl!

Thank you very much about your advice.
I'm from Argentina (so, my first language is spanish).

Sincerely,
Ángel

LPCF
8th June 2013, 01:14 PM
I understand what you trying to do and what you want. But as accent might get in the way of voice recognition, why not settle for reading all his books? There is plenty to read!

CFTraveler
8th June 2013, 04:20 PM
Just so you all know, I'm going to be captioning Robert's videos as soon as I'm done with another book translation. I'm not sure when this is going to be, but it's in the planning stage.