PDA

View Full Version : Books on buddhism

Johnthelegoman
13th June 2013, 09:57 PM
Hi all been a while since i posted here but i know i can always get some good advice from this lot.

i want to understand and learn about buddhism 8 fold path 4 noble truths and such.

got any book recommendations?

jamboh
14th June 2013, 04:13 PM
Hi all been a while since i posted here but i know i can always get some good advice from this lot.

i want to understand and learn about buddhism 8 fold path 4 noble truths and such.

got any book recommendations?

There are plenty of free books, including the classic texts, on the internet sacred texts archive:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/index.htm

It might be a good place to start, although I'm sure there are numerous other websites. there are some more modern books on buddhism there also, although I usually prefer to read the source material.

CFTraveler
14th June 2013, 11:41 PM
I think dharmaoverground has good material, that I remember. It's been a while, though.

eyeoneblack
15th June 2013, 03:47 PM
I strongly recommend The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying by Sogyal Rinpoche, however it's not a primer on the tenets of Buddhism but blends well with meditation work. :)

Btw, that Noble Eight-fold Path can be a real bugger. When it comes to "Right Work" it can be very conflicting in this modern age.

Best of luck to you, the study of Buddhism changed my life and might well yours, but hang on, it's worth the trip!

Johnthelegoman
16th June 2013, 12:37 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions im going to order some books off amazon now