PDA

View Full Version : Whole body change

GMAN12
7th July 2013, 03:40 AM
It finally complete and possible to change every single thing in your body using surgery.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/06/head-transplant-italian-neuroscientist_n_3533391.html

Head transplants are now possible, but seriously why would someone transplant their head? Instant death there. Might as well start 3D printing all body parts.

-asalantu-
7th July 2013, 04:04 AM
¡Hola, GMAN12!

Una buena razón sería reemplazar el cuerpo por un soporte más resistente a golpes, enfermedades, desgaste, etc. y con partes más fácilmente reemplazables y/ó potenciables. Específicamente, estaríamos hablando de transplantar el cerebro y médula espinal.

Atentamente...
Ángel

Translation:
A good reason would be to replace the body with a more impact-resistamt support with parts that are replaceable and usable.
More specifically, we'd be talking about transplanting the brain and spinal cord.

CFTraveler
7th July 2013, 06:58 PM
Frankly, I don't think it's really doable. At least not now. If they can't repair many spinal cord injuries, they're going to transplant a brain?

ButterflyWoman
7th July 2013, 07:09 PM
And even if they did transplant a brain, who's to say it would function in a new body the way it did before, that is, that the "person" would still exist?

DarkChylde
7th July 2013, 07:23 PM
i think their would be far too many legal ramifications to make it work , i was person A when i killed person Z and after a complete transplant I turned into person B - society as a whole including law would have to change to support this particular idea.

-asalantu-
7th July 2013, 11:08 PM
I understand DarkChylde, but, remember, DNA at neurons is the same at anyother single cell at former body.
DNA identify us in a 99.9999% (unless identical twin existence).

My best regards,
Ángel

heliac
8th July 2013, 01:51 AM
I dunno this doesn't really seem all that hopeful. You would have to remap everything to your new body. I suppose that would take years and years to do especially if it is an older body/brain.

Probably all of the subconscious stuff would be ok, like upkeep ( regulation of breath, heart, other bodily functions). The not so conscious stuff would all have to be relearned.

DarkChylde
8th July 2013, 04:01 AM
I understand DarkChylde, but, remember, DNA at neurons is the same at anyother single cell at former body.
DNA identify us in a 99.9999% (unless identical twin existence).

My best regards,
Ángel

i think i don't really understand what "whole body" transplantation is actually .
and i didn't read the link either :tongue:

DarkChylde
8th July 2013, 04:14 AM
I dunno this doesn't really seem all that hopeful. You would have to remap everything to your new body. I suppose that would take years and years to do especially if it is an older body/brain.

Probably all of the subconscious stuff would be ok, like upkeep ( regulation of breath, heart, other bodily functions). The not so conscious stuff would all have to be relearned.

i think i'm pretty sure , that neurons from person A very certainly cannot be "transplanted" into body of person B.

if instead of neurons let's assume for arguments sake , they are kidneys , then that's the same as organ transplantation right? , person B's body will very rapidly "attack" the transplanted neurons from person A , till there is nothing left but a bloody pulp , because person B's body will realize they are not the same DNA as the rest of the body and consider it foreign material and therefore "dangerous" requiring immediate termination , it will launch a furiously aggressive response on a cellular scale till not a single cell remains.

People with any sort of transplantation (even from an identical twin) require potent "immuno suppression" to tame down the body from attacking foreign transplant material , to give person B months at least if not years to at least utilize the transplanted material.

so confusing :-(.

DarkChylde
8th July 2013, 04:23 AM
also i was wondering to put the brain from person A into person B , you'd first have to take out the whole brain and the spinal cord from person B to "make room" , how would the receptacle (person B's body) remain viable or "alive" after the nervous system has been removed?

after the central nervous system has been removed , the heart which requires a brain to keep it pumping will stop , there will be no circulation , and that's like being a vampire :shock:

ok now i'm going to butt out.

CFTraveler
8th July 2013, 01:50 PM
Heart-lung machine, I suppose. You know, the ones that circulate the blood while the heart is stopped in heart operations? I suppose that would work- I imagine they might also need a dialysis machine too, depending on how long it takes.

DarkChylde
8th July 2013, 02:00 PM
actually i think i didn't get with the program , i was thinking this is the "what if" conversation , not the "is happening" one.

i just keep getting crazy visuals , like brains being installed "live whole and organic" :shock:

also some organs like the testis and the eyes are "under primed" as in they aren't as fatally attacked like other organs like kidney or lungs since they don't "display" genetic variation as much other organs , consequently suffering less attack and deterioration.

CFTraveler
8th July 2013, 02:04 PM
Well, since we're freeform thinking,
I was thinking that the donors might have to be related to the patient, and wondered where the bone marrow is that creates the antibodies, and if this would affect the rejection issue. This also brought me to real life chimeras, how complicated the transplant thing would be for them....

DarkChylde
8th July 2013, 02:10 PM
you are very right with that , actually head transplantation has already been done on a dog , a whole dog head was transplanted to another dog giving rise to a chimera with two dog heads , just one head shy of cerebrus.

it made big time news , the chimera was alive and well for a few days time i remember.

CFTraveler
8th July 2013, 02:14 PM
That's the other thing I wrote that got deleted by my %$# computer... I think if scientists do this it'll be just to prove they can, and the patient more than likely will die within a few days, sadly.

GMAN12
8th July 2013, 03:04 PM
Well that sucks especially when you put a price tag on how many days you got left to live.

ButterflyWoman
8th July 2013, 03:14 PM
I think if scientists do this it'll be just to prove they can, and the patient more than likely will die within a few days, sadly.
CFT, I think you're old enough to remember "Baby Fae", aren't you? The baby with the defective heart, and they transplated a baboon heart into her. She didn't live very long following the transplant, poor little thing.

But they did put that tiny baby through horrific surgery and through enormous pain (heart transplantation is serious, serious surgery, and bones need to be literally sawed apart and the chest pried open for the work to be done, and it's incredibly painful), just to have her die in the end because, guess what, a human baby doesn't function with the heart of an animal, imagine that.

It always made me sad to think of what they put that poor little baby through, and for nothing (they didn't even think it WOULD work, but they did it anyway).

For those who are not as old as CFT and myself, or for anyone who wants to refresh their memory on the case: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_Fae

DarkChylde
8th July 2013, 03:42 PM
Bailey did not look for a human heart for Baby Fae. There were questions as to whether parents should be allowed to volunteer children for experimental medical procedures, and whether the parents themselves were properly informed by Bailey. However, because Fae's mother had no medical insurance, she could not afford to pay for the heart transplant procedure. The xenograft, on the other hand, was offered for free. When asked why he had picked a baboon over a primate more closely related to humans in evolution, he replied "Er, I find that difficult to answer. You see, I don't believe in evolution."

what absolute heinous tragedy , issues with morality and ethics aside , i think baby fae's mother was getting exploited to satisfy a doctor's probable fetish ; that of tinkering with the human body.This doctor saw an opportunity and pounced on it , transplant donations are a very very tightly regulated procedure.
So basically what they told the mother was this "you either get this baboon heart or your daughter dies" and that has jack to do with insurance or misinformation.