PDA

View Full Version : Floating rock

GMAN12
20th July 2013, 05:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH48htDpKvU

Found this video from another person on another forum. Amazing still.

CFTraveler
20th July 2013, 05:30 PM
I'd like to see them put a hair there and see what happens.

GMAN12
20th July 2013, 07:55 PM
Hmm. Possibly the rock was too light? idk.

eyeoneblack
23rd July 2013, 05:27 PM
Looks to me like it's 'riding on a magnetic surface'. It dances around and is inclined to head for the 'edge'. As you might expect a positively charged pebble over a strong positive surface.

Might be a clue?

CFTraveler
23rd July 2013, 05:31 PM
I was thinking hot air vent under it- the rock looked porous to me and the pebble's dance made me think of that trick where you put a ping-pong ball over a vacuum hose that's blowing air out.

eyeoneblack
23rd July 2013, 05:46 PM
I was thinking hot air vent under it- the rock looked porous to me and the pebble's dance made me think of that trick where you put a ping-pong ball over a vacuum hose that's blowing air out.

Yeah, that's another angle.

ButterflyWoman
23rd July 2013, 07:08 PM
Yes, it looks like there's a jet of air or similar. And the stone appears to be pumice, which is already very light (so light it floats in water).

Honestly, I don't know what causes this very cool and interesting phenomenon, but I'd be willing to be that it is not "unexplainable" by conventional means. Hardly anything is. ;)

Tutor
24th July 2013, 03:58 PM
i agree with Richard. magnetics yep. and with CFT's porous factor too, for lighter weight. and i think this person set it up. and yep BW, agreed.