PDA

View Full Version : Plane crashes now train crashes?

GMAN12
29th July 2013, 11:28 PM
I recall someone talking about random generators that would track something that would happen randomly in the world at that moment. It is strange now as there were just plane crashes and all of a sudden now there are train crashes. A couple this week. One head on. Is this total coincidence or is random generating in the air too much to make the odds bigger?

ButterflyWoman
30th July 2013, 05:12 AM
Trains crash all the time, probably every day. Planes crash regularly, too, although probably not as frequently as trains (I've never looked at the statistics). It's just that sometimes these events get picked up by international media, and sometimes they don't. It does run in cycles, for some reason, and I mean the reporting, not necessarily the events.

There's no reason to think anything is particularly abnormal or out of the ordinary.

eyeoneblack
30th July 2013, 04:42 PM
The Global Consciousness Project started by Princeton is a query to see if Random Number Generators placed around the globe actually were mutually exclusive or might they generate a pattern from time to time.

I suppose the hypothesis challenges the Jungian 'collective unconscious' and significantly reports a positive result; that there appears to be an influence of a 'global mind' on random number generators.

The unanswered question, left by the data collected by the GCP, why did these instruments begin to show a pattern? That these data, generated by the many RNGs, in collection return results indicating an anomaly in the statistical analysis. In other words they are no longer strictly random.

This amounts to a strange science requiring a strange answer. While each RNG should be mutually exclusive of another there is observed a break-down of the mutually exclusive rule.

Put simply, if a person flips a coin ten times and the results are all 'heads' this does not frustrate the mutual exclusiveness of each flip. There remains an equal probability of 'heads' or 'tails' for every flip. [Carl Jung wrote an essay on this phenomenon but I can't find it right now.]

Btw, I agree with Butterfly that the media feed us with less than an equal hand. In other words we get what the media wants us to - as they seem to have a collective mind in what's then the next Big Thing.

http://www.damninteresting.com/rando...ct-the-future/ (http://www.damninteresting.com/random-event-generators-predict-the-future/)

CFTraveler
30th July 2013, 05:27 PM
This amounts to a strange science requiring a strange answer. While each RNG should be mutually exclusive of another there is observed a break-down of the mutually exclusive rule. I think Rupert Sheldrake's Morphic Resonance theory would be that 'strange science'. Even though I don't agree with how he breaks down his findings (chreodes? blah.) I do think that it explains what happens better than most any other hypotheses or theories.