PDA

View Full Version : Consiousness - good article I think

eyeoneblack
22nd August 2013, 11:58 PM
Check this out:

http://www.aeonmagazine.com/being-human/how-consciousness-works/

(edit: what follows is not at all an abstract of the article, just some thoughts that came to mind as I read it...)

We are conscious because we can deliberate over options and decide which is best, or even doubt ourselves. This creates the illusion that we are conscious. Athletes and musicians, well, anyone, for that matter, knows what being ’in the zone’ is. What it feels like when the 3-pointers fall through the basket again and again, when the improvised notes click beautifully, when decisions are natural and good.

Whenever I have experience the ’in the zone’ phenomenon I relate it as a direct connection that bypasses the deliberating mind. You don’t think about it. It’s done before you have time to think about it.

But I’ll have to think about this further and integrate the OBE into it; but for now, I’ll lean on the Eastern knowledge that, in fact, we are not, by nature, conscious at all.

Tutor
24th August 2013, 02:31 AM
interesting. i suppose that consciousness does not 'have to be' conscious as it is never not conscious. the expression, however, call it nature, or as our human nature, i suppose that when 'in the zone' the 'have to be' is absent and the person is in effect from this causal that is absent, now present and conscious without question, debate, confusion...that feels 'have to be'. i suppose that seems as phenomenal to the 'have to be' expression, however, it is the expression feeling 'have to be' that is the true phenomenon.

make sense?

IA56
24th August 2013, 04:32 AM
interesting. i suppose that consciousness does not 'have to be' conscious as it is never not conscious. the expression, however, call it nature, or as our human nature, i suppose that when 'in the zone' the 'have to be' is absent and the person is in effect from this causal that is absent, now present and conscious without question, debate, confusion...that feels 'have to be'. i suppose that seems as phenomenal to the 'have to be' expression, however, it is the expression feeling 'have to be' that is the true phenomenon.

make sense?

Many are misstaken reaction to be conscius it is very far between a reaction to become conscius....when a reaction starts to become conscius you do get many time´s confusious too...if I take to play an instrument...you learn note´s and where that precis note is on the claviature on the instrument...you can become very skilled as I call this to learn how to react and you can play very skilled but it is mechanical only...when you start to become conscius of your reaction/learning then you will freaken out and all become´s very hard...what was easy when you only reacted like a robot...but when you started to become conscius of your playing then my hand´s started to tremble and I get nearly an panic attack...before this when I did not know I had done something extraordinary and that I have accompliced something what was even hard to learn...my teacher did say, he did never thought me ever would learn to play harmonica as I did...but he should have kept his mouth shut...and only let me play...when I did understand that that I have done something someone did think to be hard, this I call to become conscius and I do today not play harmonica at all, I did sell away it...to help me overcome the panick....so it is a big deal to become conscius :-)

Love
ia

eyeoneblack
24th August 2013, 01:56 PM
These lines of thought, Tim and Ia, seem to me to hint at a very truth that, on the surface, seems contradictory but is unavoidable. Put simply, I suggest that apparent consciousness IS an illusion, for true consciousness derives from a condition of what we term 'unconsciousness'. Consider this in terms of consciousness:

http://www.psmag.com/science/the-muse-real-or-fake-64900/

In this article the mystery of creativity and muse is related to a condition of unconsciousness.

Andreasen describes this descent—or ascent—into unconsciousness as going “over the precipice,” and for all her years of neuroscientific study, she isn’t sure exactly how that works.

Years ago I was considering the state from which creativity emerges and compared the experience to that of gardening.
We stoop, we till;
We plant and prune.
And when the season is full
It is the wonder of God that fills us.

At the time that was the best I could think of it, and probably still is.

Tutor
24th August 2013, 02:12 PM
richard, i whole heartedly agree. i am prepared to add, that what we are looking at as shared world is none other than our subconscious private little worlds collectively playing out, even as we suppose them to be our individual secretive worlds.

is why we must go in to get real, getting real to come out and see what is before us, looking at it's horrific outcome, surrendering to it's truthing truth...etc. sounds harsh, looks rash, we swallow back or we outcry. but no one looking at it, seeing it for what it is reflectively incoming, can not change it, must continue in it, even as of it they no longer are as having seen it for what it is.

no where else is sorrow more accutely felt than in Heaven. iff'n a one from sight is therefore sorrowful at such a sight, then such a one is as heaven on earth. this even as the world, those of the world, see such a one not.

my god, my god!....science would blindly pretend to see, thus mocking the word ancient of days seeing all along.

that's not to say that scientific discovery is not applicable to our studied approach toward self-awareness.

eyeoneblack
24th August 2013, 04:35 PM
no where else is sorrow more accutely felt than in Heaven.

Oh man, you so nailed it. Compassion is bitter-sweet. And no person feels it so deeply as he/her that is empathetic to the rule of longing aspiration for relief, for the completion of the eternal design - for coming home.

[edit] Sorry, I drifted from the theme of the thread...

about the phenomenon of consciousness - carry on :) or not :)

Tutor
24th August 2013, 09:39 PM
Compassion is bitter-sweet. And no person feels it so deeply as he/her that is empathetic to the rule of longing aspiration for relief, for the completion of the eternal design - for coming home.

o' brother, we nailed it.:)