PDA

View Full Version : AP and sexual energy

Spacefrog
28th August 2013, 09:32 PM
I am currently abstinent from any sexual activity. I made this decision because I have some blockages that I just couldn't figure out and decided to give myself some space, free from expectations.
Of course I also have difficult moments where I just feel the energy racing trough my body but my spiritual practice is a very important motivation to keep going.

So therefor the question, does or could abstaining from sex (especially orgasms) stimulate the ability to astral project?

GMAN12
29th August 2013, 12:42 AM
Orgasm is release of energy and thus you actually lose some energy. There is a type of yoga technique called tantra which uses sexual energy though. It is one of the highest forms of yoga. If you are talking about the sexual energy racing through your body, try to control yourself and move this energy into your head. Focus. It will become mental energy. This will help you get control of that desire. All in all, it could and also it couldn't. It could definitely affect projecting if you think too much about it and it overcomes you so much that it is a stronger desire than astral projecting.

Spacefrog
29th August 2013, 08:06 AM
And energy is really important with astral projection right?

I will try to raise this energy to the head, thanks for the advice! I notice that sitting meditation also helps instantly.
I'm just hoping I can use this situation in a positive way and if it can actually help to achieve astral projection it would be an extra motivation.

CFTraveler
29th August 2013, 03:15 PM
Expectation is a biggie. Note that when certain traditional people want to experience visions or transcendent experiences, they fast and exercise and stay up- all apparent energy draining activities. Yet the experiences are more powerful.
I think the connection with energy work and sex is more cultural than anything else. -My Opinion.

ButterflyWoman
29th August 2013, 03:40 PM
I think the connection with energy work and sex is more cultural than anything else. -My Opinion.
Mine, as well.

I do understand that sex and spending a lot of thought, time, and energy on the subject can be draining, or at least distracting (as can many things). I think the key is focus and attention, rather than sex in and of itself.

Spacefrog
29th August 2013, 04:23 PM
CFTraveler, what do you mean with 'more cultural than anything else'? Do you mean you think there is no actual connection?

And what do you mean by 'biggie'? Sorry, english is not my native language.

eyeoneblack
29th August 2013, 08:04 PM
CFTraveler, what do you mean with 'more cultural than anything else'? Do you mean you think there is no actual connection?

And what do you mean by 'biggie'? Sorry, english is not my native language.

Well, I'm going to speak up here because often I have a different understanding than others which may be equally as valid. I am not young, but when I was, I think I was in much the same situation as yourself, Spacefrog. At the time I was just beginning my eternal journey into the mysteries and what I might learn useful to me. Like you, I swore myself to abstinence - an oath not to release sexual tension by self-satisfaction.

It drove me nuts crazy. The mere glimpse of a girl's knee drove me wild. Eventually I couldn't stand it any longer and, ahem, took care of the situation. It was my experiment in Tantric sex, at least for as long as I was able.
Perhaps there is some virtue in not 'wasting your seed' but to me, it was a non-issue. Certainly, it didn't improve my energy bodies in terms of meditation or lucid dreaming or astral projection. I did learn at least that from the experiment.

It is important to 'raise your vibrations', to center on the higher aspects of yourself and dampen as much as possible your physical yearnings, but denial is not, imo, really getting you anywhere. As long as you aspire to heightened awareness, then you will progress naturally and all in good time.

I'll also add, that attitudes about sex are quite cultural, however the underlying fact of sex is pretty universal. I'd guess in some general way, Americans are a bit prudish and even twisted (both, because neither is mutually exclusive) compared to other cultures. This is not to disagree with CFT or BW, but a distinction that may be worth noting.

Good luck, Spacefrog

Richard

[edit] I was curious and my intuition was spot on. I wondered about incidents of rape between countries. I had in mind a comparison between U.S. and Sweden, but even I was surprised at the data!

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatches/globalpost-blogs/quick-click/which-country-has-the-highest-reported-incidents-rape-data

CFTraveler
29th August 2013, 08:19 PM
CFTraveler, what do you mean with 'more cultural than anything else'? Do you mean you think there is no actual connection? I mean that the reason that sex is looked down in spiritual matters is that even though sex is symbolic of union, it is considered 'centered on the body', and in many cultures, the body is considered 'not good' or 'not as good as' the spiritual, whatever that is. In other words, culturally based.
I can't say that there is no 'actual' connection, since the body, in metaphysics, is the physical expression of the spirit, but the interpretation that is the most established is that sex is somehow 'dirty' (in the west) and a waste of energy in the east, except for physical procreation, which is seen as 'less' than transcendence.
When I say a biggie, what I mean to say is that expectation creates your experience, and if you've been culturally conditioned to think that sex drains you of spiritual energy, and believe it, then it definitely does.

I'll also add, that attitudes about sex are quite cultural, however the underlying fact of sex is pretty universal. I'd guess in some general way, Americans are a bit prudish and even twisted (both, because neither is mutually exclusive) compared to other cultures. This is not to disagree with CFT or BW, but a distinction that may be worth noting. I don't think you're disagreeing at all with what I said, because I do think that sex can be distracting if you feel guilty about it, and the effort necessary to distract yourself from it comes from psychological guilt, induced by society. IMO.

eyeoneblack
29th August 2013, 08:28 PM
I don't think you're disagreeing at all with what I said, because I do think that sex can be distracting if you feel guilty about it, and the effort necessary to distract yourself from it comes from psychological guilt, induced by society. IMO.

Agree, I just posted a link as an edit above. I bet you missed it. It's staggering isn't it?

Tutor
30th August 2013, 02:42 AM
as a male at my age, ive learned one thing about abstaining from sex. the prostate aint nuthin to toy around with. is healthiest when abiding with whatever one's natural urge is for frequency of sexual stimulation.

beyond that, ditto to what CFT has stated, guilt and/or shame are the robbers.

ButterflyWoman
31st August 2013, 03:39 PM
Like you, I swore myself to abstinence - an oath not to release sexual tension by self-satisfaction.

It drove me nuts crazy. The mere glimpse of a girl's knee drove me wild. Eventually I couldn't stand it any longer
That pretty much supports what I said (or what I thought I said, anyway). It's about focus. In this case, abstinence made the focus that much sharper and it drew a lot more energy and attention than it would have otherwise.

Spacefrog
31st August 2013, 03:54 PM
Hi Richard,

Thank you for sharing your view. I have to say that my initial reasons to start doing this were not spiritual reasons. They are mental blockages which I whatever I try cannot overcome right now. And to take aways some tension from my relationship and create some breathing space I have taken this decision for now.
Of course this requires some discipline so since I'm very actively engaged in spiritual practice and so on, I was looking for ways to transform this 'problem situation' into something positive for now.

But I have to admit that it is very difficult. Maybe I should try to find a middle way.
One of the things that I do have to say is that since I'm doing this I feel more energized and more vital.

CFTraveler
31st August 2013, 04:12 PM
Many mystics attempt to deflect the associated pitfalls of this practice by channeling the energy 'up' to the next chakra (the solar plexus system) which sometimes works, and reinforces the idea of 'will' over 'body'. You may want to try that.

Spacefrog
31st August 2013, 04:21 PM
I see what you mean CFT. It's just, like I rold Richard, that the energy part for me is not the main reason. The main reason are mental blockages and I'm looking to see if I can do something positive with it and turn it around.
Every positive side of not having sex helps at this moment.

On the other side it has already been helping in my relationship in terms of relaxation and getting closer together again so I feel like I'm doing the 'right' thing for this moment.

CFTraveler
31st August 2013, 04:22 PM
I'm not talking about it as a practice, but for those moments when things get difficult to handle.

Spacefrog
31st August 2013, 04:23 PM
That's a good advice CFT thank you. I have been experimenting with this a little and it seemed to help a bit already. But it can be still overwhelming at times.

Daisy
16th April 2014, 12:01 AM
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to chime in and add my perspective. This topic has actually been on my mind lately so I was pleased to run across this.

I am female and find that sex helps with AP tremendously. I think it is because of the complete feeling of relaxation after achieving satisfaction. I was going to start a thread addressing this topic, but based on this thread it seems I am in the minority. Interesting.

CFTraveler
16th April 2014, 02:14 PM
I'm with you Daisy, but as a female, the effect may be specific to the female gender. But I can't be sure.

Daisy
17th April 2014, 01:03 AM
Then I am glad to be a woman, CFT! Abstinence doesn't sound like much fun...and I don't think my husband would be very happy about it, either! :)

Eyeswideopen
17th April 2014, 05:16 PM
I think that a lack if sexual pleasure actually drew me to astral project. After a year of strong painkillers and a body that could not get out of bed I had not been sexually active and found myself having the most powerful orgasms whilst in the depths of my illness. For the first year or so it was always sexually orientated. Now I am getting better and my sex life has resumed I no longer ap or at least for now. My body had no energy at all yet I was able to ap and my orgasms i had were healing for me.

Daisy
17th April 2014, 11:54 PM
Interesting. Are you male or female?

Eyeswideopen
18th April 2014, 01:16 PM
Female