PDA

View Full Version : What is 'Source'?

javalinar
24th September 2013, 07:16 PM
I've seen the word 'Source' referenced many times, both in this forum as well as other places. Can someone explain and/or point me to articles/books about this? Thanks!

CFTraveler
24th September 2013, 08:23 PM
Source (as in the Source of all things) is a non-religious way to say 'God'. Since many people that come to metaphysics have negative connotations with the idea of God (they associate God with sin, punishment, guilt and social control issues) hence reject the word), it is useful to think of God as Creator, 'Source', provider and bestower, instead of a parental figure. Since most religious traditions see God as the Source of everything, it's a way to say God without the emotional baggage.
There are other ways to say it, but 'Source' is descriptive and positive.

Sinera
24th September 2013, 08:49 PM
"Source" is grounded in the mystic (and also mostly Eastern) world-view stating that we are "all one (consciousness, which is all there is anyway)" and come as a 'split-off' consciousness (taking on vessels/bodies in realities such as this physical one) from the same point of origin and also never lose the connection to it (although it seems so, or we forget about it).

It is rather opposed to the traditional, orthodox, fundamentalist, religious view of (a ...) God as a separate and 'superior' entity/being that created you and you are normally (told to be) praying too. Source is also you, in a way, because you are part of it, the 'offspring' (or even the same being, in a way).

javalinar
24th September 2013, 08:56 PM
So what does it mean when someone astral projects and experience Source light? I read that here somewhere..

CFTraveler
24th September 2013, 11:00 PM
It depends on who's doing the writing. When mystical experiences are shared, they are usually described from the experiencer's religious and cultural point of view. Since God is sometimes described (but not by everyone) as light, I imagine they are talking about experiencing a light that they interpret as God. Many famous explorers (I think Swedenborg might have been one of them) described 'the Light of God' as the 'Clear light' that you can see and live.
Cultural and religious perspective shape a lot of what we see, but not everyone realizes it and assumes that 'it's how things are' instead of 'how things seem'.

Tutor
25th September 2013, 12:34 AM
is source light?

then why said, let there be light?

apparently source is not light, but source is that which said, let there be light, and there was light.

The Word [Logos] is Source. The Word [Logos] is at once endless and/or infinite, given one's understanding.

Light is as the sympathetic feel that precipitates [grace] upon the empathetically spoken word, this spoken word a harmonic melodious song which is unceasing. the tone lightedly colors the sound, given the wavelength or frequency.

which came first the child or the crayon?

yeah, clear light, clarity of conscious mind, unshadowed, unclouded. however, given the intentual tone, unminded matters may quickly become endarkened. God is light, and in Him is no darkness at all. neither is God a respector of persons. ahhhh.

anyhoo, my penny's worth

IA56
25th September 2013, 04:50 AM
is source light?

then why said, let there be light?

apparently source is not light, but source is that which said, let there be light, and there was light.

The Word [Logos] is Source. The Word [Logos] is at once endless and/or infinite, given one's understanding.

Light is as the sympathetic feel that precipitates [grace] upon the empathetically spoken word, this spoken word a harmonic melodious song which is unceasing. the tone lightedly colors the sound, given the wavelength or frequency.

which came first the child or the crayon?

yeah, clear light, clarity of conscious mind, unshadowed, unclouded. however, given the intentual tone, unminded matters may quickly become endarkened. God is light, and in Him is no darkness at all. neither is God a respector of persons. ahhhh.

anyhoo, my penny's worth

Without knowing ...but when reading your word´s about....why then say...let there be light...I get the feeling that it was not per ce....littereally meaning,...but awakening the perception....as in saying...that the fish do not notice the water it is swiming in....so this is my understanding....:-)...to start to see in different way....

Love
ia

ButterflyWoman
25th September 2013, 05:11 AM
I don't think that Source/God(dess)/Universal Consciousness/Whatever is actually light, but it is very common to perceive it that way. My first mystical experience, when I was about five, was of being surrounded by and within a golden-white light. Because I was in a church at the time, I assumed it was God (as I understood that notion at the time). Many, many years later, I learned that this experience is extremely common as mystical experiences go, and it's pretty much universal.

Why humans perceive the Divine as "light" I don't know, although I could speculate (it's certainly grounded in our material experience of light and dark). Still, the symbol is deeply embedded in the human psyche. Think of all the figures of speech such as "saw the light" or "the dark side" or even "enlightenment" (these are all English, but I'm sure there are equivalents in every other language; the association of light with divinity is universal as far as I'm aware).

So when I see someone write about "Source light" or "the Light of God" or something similar, I know what they're referring to, and I don't actually take it as literal (because nothing is really literal when you get down to it). The EXPERIENCE of the Divine is very, very frequently interpreted as an experience with light, however.

CFTraveler
25th September 2013, 12:20 PM
In spanish it can be iluminación (illumination) or despertar (awakening). Which are things that refer to the light, either dependent or independently. So, yeah.

Tutor
25th September 2013, 01:11 PM

Sarah at the birth of Isaac, commands that Hagar and her child Ishmael be put out into the wilderness. Hagar crys out in desparation for her child, for in the wilderness she is unable to provide for her child, and Ishmael is quickly coming to his end. God is light...comes to Hagar's crys, provides [clothes] for the present and promises a complete future for Ishmael.

gotta love spanish, look at the word for "awakening"....despertar. you see, we commonly misunderstand what the word is saying to us when we read about being brought to our knees...everyone. time is such that it affords very little occasion for our awaked responce, for we are ever within the living caught up in re-activity or cyclic routine. when that is upset by the abnormal call, despertar, then we respond, cry out, and the light comes, as it is, we've awakened if but within that moment.

so this begs to issue the reality of whence comes to source, as well as informs the spoken source to which light reciprocally responds. thus is prayer [spoken word] our's to praise and give thanks to God is light. tehillem