PDA

View Full Version : Forgiveness

29th June 2006, 01:56 AM
I was talking with a friend the other day and the subject of curses came up. Not the witchy poo ceremonial type curse, I'm talking about the kind of curse that can come from when one wrongs another and/or one perceives one has been wronged by someone. This friend mentioned that the particular curse we were discussing ended when forgiveness happened.

This made me think. I thought about how I have harbored bad feelings towards some individuals because I have been wronged and/or perceived I had been wronged. Then I thought of the possibility that I may have unwittingly cursed some of these individuals by virtue of having negative thoughts directed towards them.

This shed yet even more light on why forgiveness is so important. I wrote a blurb about forgiveness earlier this year, the message just poured out of me. Something along the lines that lack of forgiveness binds all in chains of iron, that these chains can be broken when we truly forgive. I no longer have the text of what I wrote, but it was a bit more eloquent than this example.

It also made me think about self forgiveness. Is it possible to curse one's self with negative thoughts towards the self about past mistakes? I have done a lot in this life that I'm not proud of, and have spent a lot of time beating myself up over it. It didn't occur to me until recently that it is equally important to forgive yourself. Somehow, I suspect this is tied in with the Shadow Self to a degree; these feelings of negativity/non-forgiveness/non-acceptance towards the self feed this aspect.

Anyway, just thought I would share some thoughts I had about this. I guess seeing is the first step. :)

I placed this post in the "Healing from the Heart" section because that is where I think the capacity for forgiveness comes from - the heart.

Rayson
29th June 2006, 03:26 AM
Is it possible to curse one's self with negative thoughts towards the self about past mistakes?

Definetly. And in a variety of different ways and different levels, from actual curses, to the curse of [choosing to] repeating painful actions and patterns.

For me self-forgiveness has been a very powerful healing tool.

terra incognita
1st July 2006, 07:41 PM
For all intents and purposes a grudge or a hatred is essentially a curse. The chains of karmic connection are hardened by our resolve in keeping those hatreds strong. The results of hatreds can be just as bad as any Wiccan style curse i.e. emotional deadness, stomach ulcers, a lack of inner peace, or just general entropy in the mind resulting in discord throughout one's life. It sounds like a curse to me!

Whether or not a "curse" has psychological or magical origins it doesn't seem to matter since the results are the same. The real question about a curse is how to get rid of it. Do we possess the powers to sever the cords that we have created? Whether or not we go about using magical rituals or just plain psychology to cut these binds, the bottom line is that they should be based squarely on empirical results.

Distinguishing between unseen forces of the energy world and the known forces of the conscious mind may be important here. I will focus more on the forces of the conscious mind. One such force being forgiveness.

The very act of forgiveness implies that the ego must be subjugated for and to a higher purposes. If the ego had its way, it would never admit to being wrong. What would the purpose of forgiveness be then? The act of forgiveness also insinuates a form of submission to the perpetrator of the wrong doing. This is the most egregious infraction against the ego. Even if we are the one who has done no wrong how hard will we hold on to our self righteousness? Letting go, whether right or wrong, is a form of spiritual logic. It lets us move up and away from the situation. The ego will never agree with this perspective.

Since the consequences of any decision are generally not instantenous cause and effect, we might be tempted to let the situation linger or not address it at all. Or worse instigate it and fan it into a larger flame. I would submit that we do not, in a general way, reap all the consequences of hatred in a single lifetime. This would lead into the concept of reincarnation.

Being here in the astral dynamics forum would suggest that most of us, if not all, have had some sort of experience to verify the existence of the energy body which preexists and survives the physical body. With this understanding we should realize that it is better to leave this life with less karmic chains then when we entered it. A sort of "spiritual logic" could be used in this scenario.

So, by my definition, forgiveness is logical.

Another tool of the mind could be called grace. Once we reach a state of harmony within the physical world, a form of grace establishes within a continual mindset of "being" which would allow us to accept all things without judgement. Grace being defined as being perpetual forgiveness. If somebody beats us to the ground we would still feel peace and forgiveness within us and toward the perpetrator. How we reach the mindset of grace is another question all together.

**mind is the builder**

Susie
9th August 2006, 12:10 AM
I believe self forgiveness is an incredibly powerful tool (which I am still learning ) that applies to the conscious mind as well as the energy world. Harboring guilt, or hate and being unable to forgive will hold you back in every area of your life- directly or indirectly. I agree that an inability to truly forgive can instill a curse of sorts upon you. The hardest part about that is realizing that you're doing it to yourself. My question is: how do you know when you've really forgiven? There is a great sense of peace that comes with forgiving, but the unconscious mind can hide things that surface in surprising ways long after you thought you've made peace with them. Is there a way to distinguish between forgiveness and the denial that guilt/hate/fear still resides? I'd appreciate anyone's ideas on this.