PDA

View Full Version : Funny

CFTraveler
8th November 2013, 06:26 PM
http://www.cracked.com/article_19695_9-foreign-words-english-language-desperately-needs.html/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=fanpage&utm_campaign=new+article&wa_ibsrc=fanpage

GMAN12
8th November 2013, 07:47 PM
I shemomedjamo all the time! haha :)

CFTraveler
8th November 2013, 07:50 PM
Me too. With a little Kummerspeck thrown in for good measure.

javalinar
8th November 2013, 08:01 PM
My daughter is a pochemuchka and I work with pilkunnussijas.

Sinera
8th November 2013, 08:05 PM
I'm German, even a 'linguist' by my studies.

I certainly know Kummerspeck, but I'm surprised at "Neidbau". Never heard of.

However, doing quick research, ... there is an English expression, even "word". It is a compound word like Neidbau (German does not really have compounds that are spelled apart, or at least a hyphen must be added)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spite_house

Also on the German page for "Neidbau" I learned that it is an old-fashioned legal term, not really everyday language at all.

Funny to go to an Australian Englisch-language forum to learn about German vocabulary. :mrgreen:

The overall meaning is the same, the two words differ:

Spite = wickedness, Neid = envy / Bau is more general for building (Haus = House).

Btw, I've heard quite often that the English language has not really a perfect 1:1 equivalent of Schadenfreude, is that true? They even adopted it as a loan word in English ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schadenfreude

CFTraveler
8th November 2013, 08:58 PM
Yep. And funny that it's the most popular word adopted by us. Haha it tells a lot.

IA56
9th November 2013, 08:36 AM
My daughter is a pochemuchka and I work with pilkunnussijas.

From where did you get this "pilkunnussijas" from?? It is a finnish word and it is not any nice word at all....direct translated it means....comma fu..er....if this , is a comma ...and that means someone who is very rigid and stiff.

Love
ia

CFTraveler
9th November 2013, 05:19 PM
From where did you get this "pilkunnussijas" from?? It is a finnish word and it is not any nice word at all....direct translated it means....comma fu..er....if this , is a comma ...and that means someone who is very rigid and stiff.

Love
ia We know.... it's in the article. Which is the point.

Sinera
9th November 2013, 05:58 PM

Love
ia

You might have overlooked it. The article has two pages, you have to go down and click on the NEXT-button to see ranks #4 to #1.

Pilkunnnussijas is even on #1.

;)

IA56
9th November 2013, 06:40 PM
You might have overlooked it. The article has two pages, you have to go down and click on the NEXT-button to see ranks #4 to #1.

Pilkunnnussijas is even on #1.

;)

Haha :-) I did not see the second page, sorry..I was so surprised over to see the finnish word.....

Love
ia

CFTraveler
9th November 2013, 06:44 PM
It's kind of rude, but funny. Most Cracked articles are, which is part of their charm, IMO.