PDA

View Full Version : intrusive bad thoughts, 90% of people have this!!!

Bram
6th January 2014, 06:19 PM
hi,

i have a question, i recognise this and it is said that 90 % of people have these unwanted negative intrusive thoughts from time to time. here is the description of it:

Many people experience the type of bad or unwanted thoughts that people with more troubling intrusive thoughts have, but most people are able to dismiss these thoughts.[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrusive_thoughts#cite_note-OCDAction-1) For most people, intrusive thoughts are a "fleeting annoyance."[5] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrusive_thoughts#cite_note-Baer5-5) London psychologist Stanley Rachman presented a questionnaire to healthy college students and found that virtually all said they had these thoughts from time to time, including thoughts of sexual violence, sexual punishment, "unnatural" sex acts, painful sexual practices, blasphemous or obscene images, thoughts of harming elderly people or someone close to them, violence against animals or towards children, and impulsive or abusive outbursts or utterances.[6] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrusive_thoughts#cite_note-BaerRachman-6) Such bad thoughts are universal among humans, and have "almost certainly always been a part of the human condition".[ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrusive_thoughts#cite_note-7)

this is the whole article on wikipedia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrusive_thoughts

i am not asking about the compulsive disorder but just the lightest form of this negative thoughts wich they say 90 % of people have this. i also always thought in the past why do i think such negative things, but it seems to be universal, but nobody dares to talk about it because everybody is affraid to be looked upon as a psychopath.

my question is? do you know were this comes from, are there negative entities that put those thoughts in peoples minds, or do you think its pure physilogical and natural?

grts Bram

CFTraveler
6th January 2014, 07:39 PM
I do believe that the reason that people have 'bad' thoughts is because we all have the tendency to push down unwanted feelings and thoughts and they become part of the subconscious. Like, the other day, I was picking up some stuff and got angry because I was considered the house servant, etc. etc.. Immediately I thought, yes, that's not true, and thought of all the times my family takes cares of my needs, etc. But the thought is there, I feel 'ashamed' of it, and I push it into my subconscious (suppress) where I then forget that I even had it. (repressed.) So later on, let's say I'm cooking dinner, happy as a clam, listening to music and the sudden thought "I am not appreciated", etc. comes up. This pops up for no apparent reason, and it's not a welcome thought, because at the time I'm happy and contented. Now I think, where did this come from? and I start worrying about my mental stability.
This happens to everybody because we are bombarded daily by thousands of images that we memorize without realizing we're doing it- our minds remember everything we have ever seen, heard or perceived in any way, and it's stored somewhere, ready to spring up at any moment for one reason or another- and the reasons are not always obvious to us.
We all have 'unacceptable' thoughts that don't mean we're psychopaths or sociopaths, the thing is to realize it happens and try to not worry about it too much. Sometimes (such as when we're under stress for other reasons) the thoughts might be more than 'usual', and worrying about it causes another problem to add to the original stressor, and the person's personality might make it worse.
So it's only a minority that have a 'problem' problem with it in terms of mental health- the rest of us have them from time to time.
I do think that negs can use this to their advantage, especially when we start losing control of what we think on a consistent basis- a vicious circle that can be aggravated by mental illness.
My Opinion, obviously.

Dreamweaver
8th January 2014, 05:55 AM
CFT is talking about a process called splitting in psychology - she's right on about that dynamic. We split off aspects of self that we judge to be bad and unexceptable, bury the thought, feeling, impulse - but the energy of the split off thing (complex) doesn't dissipate because the more intense the emotional attachment - shame is intense - the more the complex will operate in the background driving behavior and demanding expression - space and light in our waking thoughts, in our dreams etc.

Another thing I think is true is that we are dichotomous - dualistic - and the opposite condition of any state may occur to us - pairs of opposites are linked cognitively. So - life is going well, the potential for the opposite condition may pop into our heads.... and visa versa.

The more we view thoughts/feelings as objects of consciousness - things to be observed - instead of viewing them as what we are, the less opportunity there will be for complexes to be developed and split off.

Mindfulness practices are good for this ;-).

A negative entity - faced with someone who operates from the observer position may have a more difficult time creating imbalance and disturbance.

CFTraveler
8th January 2014, 02:14 PM
A negative entity - faced with someone who operates from the observer position may have a more difficult time creating imbalance and disturbance. I wholeheartedly agree with this.