PDA

View Full Version : Copy:following a specific mystical path while "clearing" belief system

surreal_fakir
6th February 2014, 07:27 PM
This is an extremely personal question which I have struggled with a lot over the years. I'm sure I'm not alone, so I thought I'd formally ask about this.

I have been going through the Kundalini program so this has come up again for me.

I understand and appreciate that we need to look into our beliefs and only hold onto the ones that are helpful for us, but for those of us practicing within a specific mystical path, how do you suggest doing so without "throwing the baby out with the bathwater".

I have been practicing in the Sufi tradition most of my life and find this path extremely beautiful and inspiring to me. I have had spiritual experiences through this tradition and also find the tools it gives me in most ways compatible with the work I've been doing with your energy system, OBE work and now kundalini program.

I have never been overly dogmatic in my approach at all. In fact, like most mystical systems, the one I am involved with calls for first hand experience for verification.

At the same time, there are certain things without any system that have to be assumed or taken (at least until they can be verified). How do you suggest those of us who are following a path like this that provides spiritual practices, music, poetry, art, and general teachings that uplift and guide us, to jettison that which might be dogmatic and even limiting?

I'm sure those following similar paths of Christian mysticism, Kabbalah, Zen and Tibetan Buddhism, Taoism, Sikhism, Yoga, Bhakti, Shamanism etc might have similar experiences. I really appreciate your help with this.

CFTraveler
6th February 2014, 09:37 PM
Hi fakir.
I took the liberty of copying your thread because I have an interest in this type of theme.

This is an extremely personal question which I have struggled with a lot over the years. I'm sure I'm not alone, so I thought I'd formally ask about this.

I have been practicing in the Sufi tradition most of my life and find this path extremely beautiful and inspiring to me. I have had spiritual experiences through this tradition and also find the tools it gives me in most ways compatible with the work I've been doing with your energy system, OBE work and now kundalini program.

I have never been overly dogmatic in my approach at all. In fact, like most mystical systems, the one I am involved with calls for first hand experience for verification.

At the same time, there are certain things without any system that have to be assumed or taken (at least until they can be verified). How do you suggest those of us who are following a path like this that provides spiritual practices, music, poetry, art, and general teachings that uplift and guide us, to jettison that which might be dogmatic and even limiting? I think you answered the question in another part of your question:

I understand and appreciate that we need to look into our beliefs and only hold onto the ones that are helpful for us, but for those of us practicing within a specific mystical path, how do you suggest doing so without "throwing the baby out with the bathwater". If the belief system is one that is helpful to you, then you don't need to jetisson the baby with the bathwater, because it's not a limiting belief.
Yes, sometimes you have to take things as a given in most disciplines- it doesn't mean you believe something that seems wrong, but if it doesn't seem wrong, then it's ok to continue 'believing' it. I know this seems confusing, but let me try to express it in a simpler way:

If a belief enriches your life it's not limiting and you don't have to discard it.