PDA

View Full Version : attempts at music

Seeuzin
13th February 2014, 12:02 AM
Just wanted to share. I think I'm finally getting the hang of making the music itself a little. Compression and mastering-related things still stump me, though.

http://www.buzztunes.org/music/seeuzin/a-grace-snippet

http://www.buzztunes.org/music/seeuzin/another-snippet

eyeoneblack
13th February 2014, 05:27 PM
Very good, Seeuzin :). What is your set-up? keyboard, are you using Pro-Tools?

Seeuzin
18th February 2014, 12:33 AM
I fiddle on my laptop with a freeware program called Buzz (jeskola.net). Do you make music? I would love to hear if you would share.

Oh my goodness! Do you use Pro Tools?? Your music must blow me out of the water :)

eyeoneblack
18th February 2014, 12:17 PM
I personally don't use Pro Tools, but a friend of many years does. She records sound tracks for spiritual conventions featuring beautiful scenes from Nature. It is really good stuff.

When 'computer' derived music became main-line I was a purist musician and little incensed that non-musicians were able to create good music without being a musician in the least. I'm over now. :) I used a digital 8/16 track Roland and a Kurzweil PC 2X controller keyboard.

I'm giving you a link to the only track I loaded onto Sound Cloud. I cringe a little at the idea because it is so atypical of my writing style. It's long as well because I wanted to explore everything I could think of with the rhythm and melody. The sort of cool thing about it is that I recorded once through, the changes in voices I managed with foot switches.

Well, anyway:

Ok, I took the link down. Just couldn't stand leaving it out there like that.

Been years since I've heard that. Not well pleased, but I have more tracks I need to download. I don't know, I might do that soon.

Seeuzin
18th February 2014, 02:38 PM
When 'computer' derived music became main-line I was a purist musician and little incensed that non-musicians were able to create good music without being a musician in the least. I'm over now. :) I used a digital 8/16 track Roland and a Kurzweil PC 2X controller keyboard.

I agree with you for the most part, though. It's very easy to throw a few loops from the "loop library" together in, say, Garage Band, and call it your own song. I don't use any premade loops, though, and it actually does take skill. Everything from the volume and pitch of the note to the timing, filter cutoff/reso, delay settings, reverb, distortion, and any other effects and their settings, must be programmed in by hand....and in hexadecimal numbers. :p (Buzz is a nerd's music tool for sure.)

That is very amazing to me that you used a foot pedal to modulate the pitch of the voice, while playing the piano also. It reminds me of that old Chinese folk story about two painters who were given 50 years to paint "the perfect painting" for the emperor on one of the palace walls. At the end of the time period, one painter had a blank wall in front of him, whereas the second painter had produced a beautiful mural. The emperor was incensed at the first painter. But before he could raise his voice, the painter set to work, and produced a mural every bit as beautiful and perfect as the second painter's....in almost no time at all.

The moral of the story being, there were two ways to produce the required mural....the first painter, instead of taking the entire time working on one painting to perfection, had actually spent all that time honing his skill in producing perfect murals. While the second painter perfected the picture over years and years...the first guy perfected his skill. :p

It seems silly to me as I say it, but it's kind of analogous to me obsessing over a song and programming everything meticulously, taking an hour to generate a 10 second riff....vs. a musician who has studied music enough that he/she can produce good melodies by ear on the spot, playing as they go. It's extremely impressive to me. I'm very slow. Thanks for sharing, eyeoneblack.