PDA

View Full Version : A Paradox

GMAN12
21st February 2014, 09:50 AM
What you are about to read will (I hope) blow your mind and you will probably have to re-think every situation you have ever made within your life.

Things that inspired this thread: The videogame: Bioshock Infinite

Basically it is a game about a man who travels to different dimensions. There was a dimension where he had been baptized and became an evil man and another where he chose not to be baptized and lived a regular life. The lifetime where he was baptized came to his lifetime where he wasn't baptized and had paid the un baptized man for his daughter who was to become the heir of the throne.

He find what he just did wrong and goes to get baptized then finds himself in another dimension. That is the dimension of the baptized, but evil person. What am I trying to get out of this? It's that choices you do not make are probably in another dimension.

Where is this going?

I was thinking about the mind split effect. Some members were asking about going back in time to fix this mistake. I was thinking it might be possible to travel to the other dimension where they had not made that choice and instead of going to the past, they would be in real time. The problem is, how would they find this dimension?

There were many other choices they have already made which creates new dimensions and different realities. The best way to find this dimension would be to first go back in time, then find the path where they did everything right so finally going back to real time.

Now the choice has been made, but what if you come to that timeline because you made the choice to do it later in life and possess yourself again? I would go with going through an infinite cycle which is when you find out that you can't go on with that and return to the timeline you assigned YOURSELF to.

So, the entire point of this thread was to be back at the start again?

Yes. I know it isn't impossible, but there are many choices. You may be able to go back to those timelines, but it won't make any sense.

Finally, there is one final flaw: There is nothing called time. It is a type of illusion to keep our minds occupied. There are however numbers. These numbers are then called symbols. These symbols are nothing but sensory objects for your mind to interpret.

Thanks for reading. I think I might have left you guys on a cliffhanger.

CFTraveler
21st February 2014, 02:37 PM
Fascinating. And a great idea for a mrp game.

ButterflyWoman
21st February 2014, 02:38 PM
I'm sorry to disappoint you, but my mind is not blown, not even a little. Not only have I already experienced a lot of this through various metaphysical means, I've read a great deal of science fiction, where this kind of thing is pretty commonly explored. ;) :wacky1: (BTW, I recommend Philip K. Dick for some good reality-twisting ideas. Particularly, "Ubik", but also "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" and "The Three Stigmata of Palmer Aldritch".)

As for the numbers, the NUMERALS are symbols. The numbers may well have significance beyond that, however. At least, that's what Pythagoras and his followers believed. And given that the universe as we currently understand it can be described in mathematical models, I tend to think that numbers are representations of the building blocks of the universe (although, of course, representation is a symbol, so you're back to that, but if you want to go that way, everything -- absolutely everything -- is just a symbol or a metaphor or something along those lines).

Truly, this is a bottomless rabbit hole.

GMAN12
21st February 2014, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the info BW. I truly have not experienced any of it myself, so I remain in ignorance still.

ButterflyWoman
22nd February 2014, 04:01 AM
Thanks for the info BW. I truly have not experienced any of it myself, so I remain in ignorance still.
I expect you'll get there. And do look up the books. They're fiction, but Philip K. Dick absolutely knew what he was writing about. He was very clearly a mystic (and people thought he was a lunatic, but that's pretty common for mystics).

wstein
23rd February 2014, 03:46 AM
There is no paradox. You are confusing yourself by using a linear time model in a non-linear time domain.

All the possibilities just 'are', even the ones where you unexpectedly show up from the future. Jumping back into your past is an alternate timeline which does not 'erase' the original one you experienced where your future self never showed up. Similarly, the timeline you jumped from continues with you staying there without traveling back in time.

GMAN12
23rd February 2014, 05:05 AM
But! It is a paradox to the unaware person.

ButterflyWoman
23rd February 2014, 07:40 AM
A Buddhist term for it is "the paradox which is not a paradox".

SoulSail
23rd February 2014, 11:17 PM
I love paradox for the simple reason that, when we genuinely begin to dig our minds into apparent paradoxical "problems" such as, how many numbers exist between zero and one (infinite), we get to glimpse the flaws in the Matrix, or simulation, if you will. We get to see that God's left us plenty of unraveled string in the fabric, if only we're brave enough to pay attention and then follow it. If you can follow at all. Math is nice and I appreciate and respect how it works, but only so far, because it all goes on its head pretty quickly. Ditto for waves and particles, ditto for the poor glass that's always being accused of half empty or half full. No-thing adds up. No-thing resolves to our binary sensibility, because alas, no-thing is binary at all (unless we're counting the brain's favorite method of understanding the hall of mirrors).

I suppose what I love most is the surrender time I spend in meditation, long after my head's given up on chasing what can only be surrendered to.

Sorry Gman. Didn't mean to go around your post, just love the topic.

Soul

GMAN12
24th February 2014, 02:22 AM
It's ok. I actually enjoyed reading it!

IA56
24th February 2014, 05:59 AM
It will become a paradox when going from one propertie to Another, or one dimention to Another...because the thing is not the same on different properties or dimentions, when not understanding the transition from the one to Another.

Love
ia