PDA

View Full Version : Scientist test woman who astral projects, finding INTERESTING

atsguy
8th March 2014, 03:33 AM
They don't mention who the woman is, just that she tells them she can astral project.

http://www.popsci.com/article/science/woman-who-can-will-herself-out-her-body

I find this part to extremely interesting:

"To better understand what was going on, the researchers conducted a functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) study of her brain. They found that it surprisingly involved a "strong deactivation of the visual cortex." Instead, the experience "activated the left side of several areas associated with kinesthetic imagery," such as mental representations of bodily movement. "

CFTraveler
8th March 2014, 05:59 PM
This makes sense to me, as those of us who project, often do it 'blind' at first, vision coming in at a later time. It is obvious to me we're not seeing with the eyes, although I would have thought that the visual cortex would have been activated later on.
I wonder how that compares to REM?

CFTraveler
8th March 2014, 06:04 PM
I just read the snarky article by the person who criticized the PS article. Although she has a point (the way the article is presented makes an assumption on what the study is about that is not really the assumption the study makes); but the bias in it is eye-opening.