PDA

View Full Version : The end of the World!

GMAN12
20th March 2014, 08:08 AM
http://www.policymic.com/articles/85541/nasa-study-concludes-when-civilization-will-end-and-it-s-not-looking-good-for-us

No this is no 2012 apocalypse event, but it was an event that we all knew was going to happen one day. Resources will run out soon and we will probably restart the cycle again. I think you'd all be dead by the time it happens and I actually hope I do die before it happens.

Well, read the article!

CFTraveler
20th March 2014, 12:20 PM
Instead of reading the article, maybe we should read the report.
""We propose a simple model, not intended to describe actual individual cases, but rather to provide a general framework that allows carrying out 'thought experiments' for the phenomenon of collapse and to test changes that would avoid it," the report states."

It's a thought experiment based on mathematical probabilities. For this to happen, the conditions would have to continue as they were in 2012.
...""However, collapse can be avoided and population can reach equilibrium if the per capita rate of depletion of nature is reduced to a sustainable level, and if resources are distributed in a reasonably equitable fashion," the report states."
Here is the report.
http://www.ara.cat/societat/handy-paper-for-submission-2_ARAFIL20140317_0003.pdf

I took a look at the charts and graphs, and it doesn't predict anything we didn't know: It basically says that we have to have a more egalitarian society that respects nature to continue the way we are (or improve) or in the simplest of terms, we can't have more 'non workers' than workers and expect to continue living in civilization.
The rest is sensationalism.

mick
20th March 2014, 01:52 PM
Nice drill down CFT, sometimes I find that even the abstracts of a published paper can skew what is actually being said by the paper.

Equilibrium population? Interesting idea, what I don't see mentioned very often in our "alarmist" orientated media and so on is just what the global population is doing. According to some demographics, peak birth rate occurred sometime in the mid 90s and is dropping fast. The last billion added to the total took slightly longer than the previous billion, 13 and 12 years respectively. It will be interesting to see how long the next one takes. It is speculated by some that post 2050 that population decline will accelerate and within a hundred years there could be a distinct lack of people, especially those of working age as you draw attention to.

This graphic gives an idea of just how fast birth rates have fallen.

This link
http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2013/01/world_population_may_actually_start_declining_not_ exploding.single.html
adds some ideas.

Similar thoughts here.
http://www.economist.com/node/17492964?story_id=17492964

GMAN12
21st March 2014, 01:56 AM
The real question is: Why do all these people want to be born now? In this time? Is it because we are more relaxed and have more racial equality? Is it because we have discovered every single part of the world by now or is it because we are technologically advancing extremely fast or is it because they wanted to see 2000 or maybe even the so called 2nd coming?

John Sorensen
21st March 2014, 05:38 AM
The real question is: Why do all these people want to be born now? In this time? Is it because we are more relaxed and have more racial equality? Is it because we have discovered every single part of the world by now or is it because we are technologically advancing extremely fast or is it because they wanted to see 2000 or maybe even the so called 2nd coming?

Everything material will one day come to an end, my body, this beautiful planet, the sun etc.

But nobody alive today knows when that is, and if they say they do they are full of BS.

However even if human life is gone from this planet, the earth will still be here.

Those who are ready to move on will move on to other planets (after the bardo / interim), those who have yet to learn what they came to learn will return here or to another planet of the same class, if earth becomes uninhabitable.

There is a lot of "alarmist" thinking regarding earth changes.

There is no denying we have polluted the planet, and lived as if we were above Nature, rather than part of nature, it's not a sustainable way to live.

But rarely mentioned is that the planet earth goes through large cycles over thousands and hundreds of thousands and millions of years.

And how much the atmosphere changing, record numbers of earthquakes and active volcanoes has to do with pollution, and how much has to do with natural earth cycles.

A species that evolved along WITH the planet rather than against it, using non-polluting natural energy, and listening to to what the earth is communicating would would either:
*die (peacefully)
*ascend
*leave the planet for another inhabitable world

eyeoneblack
21st March 2014, 12:11 PM
"Bardo". I know that from the Tibetan Book of Living and Dying. Is that also you reference, John?

John Sorensen
22nd March 2014, 06:02 AM
"Bardo". I know that from the Tibetan Book of Living and Dying. Is that also you reference, John?

Yes, I have read/own that book.

But first I listened to the recorded 9 hour lecture by Sogyal Rinpoche given in California at a University over several days.
The audio I have listened to "Tibetan wisdom for living and dying" (published by Sounds True) over 50 times now, as it is most pleasing to listen to such a lucid teacher, and I like to learn by repetition, as well as meditate etc on the teachings.

I have the CD version, but there is now a digital download also.

Rinpoche has a very good sense of humour, and the talk is very entertaining, while illuminating to listen to.
http://www.soundstrue.com/shop/Tibetan-Wisdom-for-Living-and-Dying/410.pd

eyeoneblack
22nd March 2014, 06:57 AM
Thanks for the link :).

Sinera
22nd March 2014, 12:47 PM
I've read his book (or most parts of it) a few years ago called "The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying".

CFTraveler
22nd March 2014, 04:18 PM
If you're so inclined (I enjoy reading, so I got a lot out of it) I recommend Kurt Leland's book "The Unanswered Question". In it he compares NDE accounts with the Tibetan Book of the Living & Dying and the Egyptian Book of the Dead. Very interesting.

John Sorensen
22nd March 2014, 11:17 PM
I've read his book (or most parts of it) a few years ago called "The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying".

The audio goes along with the book.

In the Yogic tradition there is reading of texts, meditation and contemplation on the teachings, and perhaps most important, the oral tradition, from an authentic teacher of a particular wisdom tradition.

Sogyal Rinpoche comes from the Mahanya tradition, same as the current Dalai Lama, and has studied with many masters, right from when he was a young boy, the same as Dalai Lama, in pre-cultural invasion Tibet, so he has a unique vision of authentic old world Tibet, married to modern day western thought and university education, he is like a bridge between two worlds, in more ways than one.

He in not just a scholar and commentator on Living and Dying / Liberation Through Hearing During the Intermediate State - but a living teacher of old world wisdom.

If you're so inclined (I enjoy reading, so I got a lot out of it) I recommend Kurt Leland's book "The Unanswered Question". In it he compares NDE accounts with the Tibetan Book of the Living & Dying and the Egyptian Book of the Dead. Very interesting.

Yes, I am interested thank you, will note that down in my big list of books.

Many moon ago, (well perhaps 8 years) I found a library in the area I was living in at the time that had many "alternative" books, and they had quite a number of western books on NDE, over about six months I read them all, and found them terribly fascinating, and around that same era I first listened to Rinpoche's audio lecture on Bardo Thodol.

Today, when I hear of people suggesting that we don't know what happens after death, it just makes me laugh. How bizarre that so much wisdom is freely available today, that in past ages people would have been executed or persecuted for having such a text/teaching, or even for talking about such things, and yet in secular society these sorts of things are ignore as they did not exist.

Well, everyone learns at their own pace, it just pains me to see people suffer so needlessly, when they have other options.